|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Noisy Generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Grandpa Joe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/12 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question on generator noise; I have an Onan "micro Quiet" 4.0 in my 2011 Class C, I run it twice a month during the winter at 50% load as recommended in the manual. The unit has atound 105 hours, start's up on the second try during the winter, runs a bit rough for about 15-20 seconds and then very smooth for 2 hours or so. When I shut it down, it seems to make a lot of noise and vibration while winding down to a stop. I remove the 1700 watt load and let it idle for about 3-4 minutes before shutting it down. Is this normal?

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a one-cylinder winding down from 3600 RPM. Ours seems to flop around as it comes to a stop. Smooth start but wobbly stop. I don't know if they all do that or not. Mike LeBlanc had a "noisy" 4.0 that he took to a shop. If I recall, they found something misaligned in the air filter area.
The older two-cylinder 1800 RPM gennys shut down more gracefully.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

It's a one-cylinder winding down from 3600 RPM. Ours seems to flop around as it comes to a stop. Smooth start but wobbly stop. I don't know if they all do that or not. Mike LeBlanc had a "noisy" 4.0 that he took to a shop. If I recall, they found something misaligned in the air filter area.

When I had my class C with the Onan 4K gas generator, it also sounded loud and seemed to 'flop' around when shutting down. I did eliminate a squeaking noise coming from the angle-iron framework holding the generator by attaching a turnbuckle from the generator framework to the chassis frame. It eliminated the squeak, but did nothing to quiet the generator at shutdown. Being very mechanically inclined, I did not particularly like how the generator shut down. I only kept the class C for a couple of years so I am not sure if the noisy/flopping shutdown ever caused the next owner any problems.

I believe most likely all these particular models shut down in a similar manner. JMHO

Ray

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/12 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like my 5500W Onan in my fifth wheel...

* This post was edited 12/20/12 05:06am by M GO BLUE *

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

super_camper

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grandpa Joe wrote:

Question on generator noise; I have an Onan "micro Quiet" 4.0 in my 2011 Class C, I run it twice a month during the winter at 50% load as recommended in the manual. The unit has atound 105 hours, start's up on the second try during the winter, runs a bit rough for about 15-20 seconds and then very smooth for 2 hours or so. When I shut it down, it seems to make a lot of noise and vibration while winding down to a stop. I remove the 1700 watt load and let it idle for about 3-4 minutes before shutting it down. Is this normal?

Sounds exactly like mine

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto for us and our 4000W Onan.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Dogbone

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/12 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine flops around also on stopping on startup mine runs a little rough also until it warms up a bit or the gas gets a steady flow.

2007 5th Wheel Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
2003 Ford F250

Ro646a

New Boston, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours acts the same way. It starts and runs very quietly, but makes lots of noise when shutting down.

Roland and Elaine
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3904 Diesel pusher
CAT 3126 330 HP with Allyson transmission
2004 Chevy Tracker LT V6 4WD
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
Ready Brake

mikeleblanc413

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

You're right j-d. What happened was I had taken the air filter cover off to check the air filter and did not replace the cover correctly and left an air-gap. The technican turned the cover around and replaced and in less than 5 minutes my problem was solved. Been fine since. I felt kind of dumb since I drove 100 miles to get the Cummins worked on. However, I was glad that's all it was and the generator did not have to be pulled.

Mike LeBlanc
Retired Art Educator, Photographer
Travel with "Baby Girl" (Catahoula Mix)
Texas

Digital Restorations, Louisiana Historic Items
Facebook

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/12 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a long shot, but it might be worth checking to see if all the mounting bolts are there and tight. On my 2800 Microlite (close cousin to the 4000), there are two alternate means of mounting. One uses 4 bolts going into the ends of the black base pan, the other uses four bolts going into the same pan from underneath.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Noisy Generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS