RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Re-Level with slides out?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Re-Level with slides out?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would you want to bring slides in to relevel. The only reason to relevel is the MH is not level now. So you will be bringing the slides in, in a unlevel condition, just to extend them out in a level condition. I would rather extend my slides in a unlevel condition than pull them in when unlevel. I feel it would put more stress on the slide trying to retract it. Why not just let the jacks up, put the boards under the jacks, then extend the jacks to a level condition. No stress on the slides as they have not been moved.

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bdpreece wrote:

Don't see why not. Monaco actually has instructions in the manual that tells us to level after extending the slides.

My Monaco manual says the same thing. However, being a mechanical engineer by profession and having done a lot of machinery and structural design work, I level before putting out the slides. Why would it be preferred to extend the slides if the slide opening is out of square or what is referred to as 'racked'? Now, if the coach is only slightly out of level, then it may do no harm to extend the slides before leveling. JMHO

Ray

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wallynm wrote:

RTFM as in read the factory manual. Mine says level first and the slide. So for me I would bring the slides in before re-leveling. I know for a fact that Monaco at one time instructed to slide first and then level. I have no idea what Coachmen instruction are.

bhivetravels wrote:

We're in a spot with loose gravel. Coach no longer level. We want to put more wood under jacks. Is it OK to take jacks up and adjust level with the slides out?

His unit is a 2007 Coachman Epic. Maybe he is not the original owner and does not have an owner's manual. Did you ever think of that? Many second and third owners do not have owner's manuals or other literature related to the accessories of their RV. Sometimes it is difficult to obtain owner's manuals, especially as an RV gets older.

My Monaco owner's manual says to extend the slides and then level. I do it the opposite. Read my earlier post on this topic as to my reasons.

Ray

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raymon,

My thoughts are why move the slides and put pressure on the motors when all you have to do is lower the jacks, put boards under the jacks, and then re-level. I would think no pressure would be put on the slides because they are not moved in a out of level position.

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/12 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

peaches&cream wrote:

Raymon,

My thoughts are why move the slides and put pressure on the motors when all you have to do is lower the jacks, put boards under the jacks, and then re-level. I would think no pressure would be put on the slides because they are not moved in a out of level position.

I fully agree. I seriously doubt the MH is that far out of level if it was level earlier. I would not want to retract OR extend a slide if the MH was extremely unlevel. There again JMHO.

Ray

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/12 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am an engineer also and I usually follow the manual unless I can determine a structural flaw from the information in the manual. I have not studied the Monaco manual so for that system I have no opinion. Newmar uses a gear drive electrical motor system. At one time Coachmen used a hydraulic roller system. I do not know what Monaco uses but I understand before there latest incarnation that they bought Holiday Rambler so as to obtain the patents on there slide system.

Maybe some one with his year and brand will respond as to what the manual states.

Raymon wrote:

wallynm wrote:

RTFM as in read the factory manual. Mine says level first and the slide. So for me I would bring the slides in before re-leveling. I know for a fact that Monaco at one time instructed to slide first and then level. I have no idea what Coachmen instruction are.

bhivetravels wrote:

We're in a spot with loose gravel. Coach no longer level. We want to put more wood under jacks. Is it OK to take jacks up and adjust level with the slides out?

His unit is a 2007 Coachman Epic. Maybe he is not the original owner and does not have an owner's manual. Did you ever think of that? Many second and third owners do not have owner's manuals or other literature related to the accessories of their RV. Sometimes it is difficult to obtain owner's manuals, especially as an RV gets older.

My Monaco owner's manual says to extend the slides and then level. I do it the opposite. Read my earlier post on this topic as to my reasons.

Ray

DONATE THAT OLD CELL PHONE TO SUPPORT SOLDIERS click here

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

2002 DSDP 3567 PUSHED BY KITTY KAT

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

MonkeyCowboy

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My manual says to never operate the Jacks with the slides extended.

2002 Dutch Star 3852
2011 HHR
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
Blue Ox Patriot Brake System

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like some clarification is in order from the OP....as I understood his question, he wants to MOVE the coach onto some boards. This means driving the coach with the slides extended. Furthermore, the will be DRIVING up onto some boards putting additional stress loads on the slide mechanisms. Pull the slides in, level the coach, extend the slides then drop your jacks and do the minor leveling adjustments....JMHO....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
Chevy HHR W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Sounds like some clarification is in order from the OP....as I understood his question, he wants to MOVE the coach onto some boards. This means driving the coach with the slides extended. Furthermore, the will be DRIVING up onto some boards putting additional stress loads on the slide mechanisms. Pull the slides in, level the coach, extend the slides then drop your jacks and do the minor leveling adjustments....JMHO....Dennis

Dennis, no where in the original post was the word MOVE used. He said, raise the jacks, put more wood under the jacks, and re-level.

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raymon wrote:

bdpreece wrote:

Don't see why not. Monaco actually has instructions in the manual that tells us to level after extending the slides.

My Monaco manual says the same thing. However, being a mechanical engineer by profession and having done a lot of machinery and structural design work, I level before putting out the slides. Why would it be preferred to extend the slides if the slide opening is out of square or what is referred to as 'racked'? Now, if the coach is only slightly out of level, then it may do no harm to extend the slides before leveling. JMHO

Ray

Raymon, I think Monaco is the only company who says to extend the slides before leveling. In the past I would have agreed with you about leveling first but I have seen for myself that if I am very far off level when I deploy the jacks that the frame does tweak. A few weeks ago we were at the Las Vegas Thousand Trails park and after leveling with the jacks my outside compartment doors were binding so bad I could hardly get them to open/close. Not sure what that was doing to the slide openings. This was probably the worst I had experienced and I had driven the rears up on blocks as I never lift a wheel off the ground when I level.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Re-Level with slides out?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: