Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: slide-out leaking--any ideas?

Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 12/24/12 07:31pm

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune. On both of the bottom corners of the bedroom slide-out, water is leaking in periodically. A mobile RV tech looked at it and thought it was a manufacturing defect--the slide out is leaning slightly inwards, causing water to run towards the RV rather than off of the slide-out. I googled the problem, and re-aligning the slide-out was one of the suggestions given. Does this make sense and if so, any idea of how to align a slide-out on this make and model of RV?


Posted By: Dogbone on 12/24/12 07:41pm

Mine leaked there to, I could actually see light outside, I got the rubber stripping changed around the top and sides changed. They also built up the rubber on each of the bottom corners with a poly urethane rubber caulking, no more leaks, I got them to give me a spare gasket just in case for the future. I got it done in Wildwood Fl at the Holiday Rambler repair center.

I also have a black gutter strip on the sides of the slideout, also make sure the side gasket turns out towards the outside at the bottom.


2007 5th Wheel Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
2003 Ford F250


Posted By: dougrainer on 12/24/12 07:45pm

Do you have a slide cover and if you did is it in good repair? On older Monaco products, the Slide cover is required to keep excess water off the roof of the slide. Doug


Posted By: johnsonbert on 12/24/12 09:04pm

We experienced the same problem periodically on our 2001 Ambassador 38PBT. On the bedroom slide, if the water gets past the outer rubber seal, it can easily get inside. Along both sides of the slide, if you lift up the rubber seal strip, you can see where a channel is riveted or attached to the wall of the slide, it is not sealed, just attached. I took Sealer and went all around the 2 sides and top and sealed that strip so that water could not get between the two. After that is done, you need some of the eaves trough material that Camping World and others sell, and make a drain that butts up against that channel and flows to the outside and down a little, to direct any water that may get past the seals back to the outside. If water gets past the seals, it will follow that channel and the eaves trough will catch it and take it to the outside. I think the factory started installing this on maybe the 05 models. This would be placed about 6" up from the bottom at the inside edge, front and back of the slide. It took care of all the water difficulties we had with the bedroom slide. The other 2 slides were not a problem. Hope this may help,Happy Trails Bert


2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT


Posted By: conmoto on 12/24/12 09:56pm

In the Monaco section of IRV2 (http://www.irv2.com/forums/) there is some good reading on this subject. I have spent a lot of time chasing this same problem and a search in that section really helped me.


Posted By: rgatijnet1 on 12/25/12 05:47am

On my Monaco coach I added a strip of stair tread non-skid self sticking tape that is about 2" wide. I stuck this on the sides of the slide and as the slide extends or retracts, it causes the rubber flap gasket to flip the right direction to prevent leaks. If the rubber flap gasket is rolled, or not flipped completely, it can leak.
This has worked well now for several years to insure that my gasket is always facing the right way.


Posted By: Klueck on 12/25/12 07:10am

We have an 03 Monaco Windsor. The slide seals have all been replaced but we still got a leak.

Our two slides are on the drivers side, so we try to angle the coach a little bit to the left. The water seems to run away from the coach instead of into the coach. We don't have a problem as long as we are leaning a tad left. Not the perfect solution, but it works for us.

DH also sprayed some water sealant on the tops of the awning covers. They had lost their water repellent ability and that really seemed to keep water from leaking through the slide topper onto the top of the slide.


Posted By: Tarheel 2 on 12/25/12 05:12pm

I use to own an 05 Holiday Rambler that had the same issue. Part of the problem was the short slideout toppers. They barely came to the edge of the slidout and any rain coming at an angle would allow water to accumulate on the top of the slidout and found a way through the top and corner seals. Also, if I couldn't get level front to back, the water would fall from the topper onto the eddge of the slideout top. Short of installing a longer slideout topper, I couldn't find a fix before I got rid of it.


Tarheel


Posted By: JR45 on 12/25/12 11:35pm

This may be of some help.
http://www.muniac.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=111#Post111
Check page 2 also and the slide show on page 1.
JR


2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
98 Honda Accord Toad




Posted By: SS Slacker on 12/26/12 07:57am

Does it only leak water in occasionally when the slide is extended in the out position? Mine did that on the bedroom slide also, especially if it was a hard rain. I found that water would run down the sides of the slide and once it hit the "ridge" on the bottom of the slide, then the water would channel or run along that bottom ridge past the rubber flap and into the inside. I put a small spot of silicone/adheasive sealant on the slide out bottom ridge on both sides just outside of the rubber flap. This stopped the water from channeling down that ridge. Never had a drop of water inside ever since, and that was about 7 years ago I did that!!!!


Dan & Tracy
2 kids ages 9 and 11
2003 HR Neptune 36PBD
300 ISB Cummins/5-Speed


Posted By: paulcardoza on 12/26/12 01:04pm

Dumb question maybe, but is the rig level?


Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King


Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 12/28/12 01:35pm

Dogbone wrote:

Mine leaked there to, I could actually see light outside, I got the rubber stripping changed around the top and sides changed. They also built up the rubber on each of the bottom corners with a poly urethane rubber caulking, no more leaks, I got them to give me a spare gasket just in case for the future. I got it done in Wildwood Fl at the Holiday Rambler repair center.

I also have a black gutter strip on the sides of the slideout, also make sure the side gasket turns out towards the outside at the bottom.


Like you, I'm also able to see daylight from the bottom corners of the slide-out. I was actually eyeing some rubber caulking at Lowes last night, wondering if that might help. I'm going to try that, along with checking to see if the side gasket is turning outwards like it's supposed to. Thanks for the ideas!


Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 12/28/12 01:48pm

johnsonbert wrote:

We experienced the same problem periodically on our 2001 Ambassador 38PBT. On the bedroom slide, if the water gets past the outer rubber seal, it can easily get inside. Along both sides of the slide, if you lift up the rubber seal strip, you can see where a channel is riveted or attached to the wall of the slide, it is not sealed, just attached. I took Sealer and went all around the 2 sides and top and sealed that strip so that water could not get between the two. After that is done, you need some of the eaves trough material that Camping World and others sell, and make a drain that butts up against that channel and flows to the outside and down a little, to direct any water that may get past the seals back to the outside. If water gets past the seals, it will follow that channel and the eaves trough will catch it and take it to the outside. I think the factory started installing this on maybe the 05 models. This would be placed about 6" up from the bottom at the inside edge, front and back of the slide. It took care of all the water difficulties we had with the bedroom slide. The other 2 slides were not a problem. Hope this may help,Happy Trails Bert


Great ideas! Thanks for being very specific about the placing of the eaves trough, etc. Your instructions are going to help a lot. I've written it all down.


Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 12/28/12 01:51pm

dougrainer wrote:

Do you have a slide cover and if you did is it in good repair? On older Monaco products, the Slide cover is required to keep excess water off the roof of the slide. Doug


I checked the slide cover & it looks good. But I'm glad that you mentioned that the slide cover is required. I was actually considering removing it because I already had the slide cover on the main slide-out billow on me while I was traveling down a highway. As per your advice, I'll keep the slide-out cover on; I'd better re-install the cover on the main slide-out by the sounds of it. Thanks.


Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 12/28/12 01:58pm

rgatijnet1 wrote:

On my Monaco coach I added a strip of stair tread non-skid self sticking tape that is about 2" wide. I stuck this on the sides of the slide and as the slide extends or retracts, it causes the rubber flap gasket to flip the right direction to prevent leaks. If the rubber flap gasket is rolled, or not flipped completely, it can leak.
This has worked well now for several years to insure that my gasket is always facing the right way.


My RV is stored right now, but the slide-out is extended as I'm doing some repairs & renovations (RV's version of R&R!!). I'll check to see if the gasket is in the right position. If it isn't, I think I'll go ahead and install some of this stair tread. Great idea.


Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 12/28/12 02:00pm

Klueck wrote:

We have an 03 Monaco Windsor. The slide seals have all been replaced but we still got a leak.

Our two slides are on the drivers side, so we try to angle the coach a little bit to the left. The water seems to run away from the coach instead of into the coach. We don't have a problem as long as we are leaning a tad left. Not the perfect solution, but it works for us.

DH also sprayed some water sealant on the tops of the awning covers. They had lost their water repellent ability and that really seemed to keep water from leaking through the slide topper onto the top of the slide.


I've also been leaning the RV slightly to the left, as a temporary fix, as my slides are also both on the driver's side. Looked at waterproofing the cover again some time ago, but it looks good.


Posted By: bluebarry1964b on 12/28/12 02:08pm

Some extremely helpful advice, guys. I've written it all down & will try out these ideas. As I said in one of my replies, the RV is stored (outdoors) but the slide-outs are extended. I'm going to implement these ideas of yours. I'm in Florida & it's the dry season; a good time to get this work done. I'll make sure the slide-out is extended during the upcoming rainy season to see if these ideas are successful. With the heavy rains we get here, it will be a perfect test. Thanks again!


Posted By: ed1 on 12/28/12 04:49pm

We have a 2002 HR Admiral, so I don't know if the construction is the same. We've had a couple of leaks in the bedroom slide which were resolved as follows:
One leak only showed in heavy rain with the slide out. We found that the gasket was not making good contact in the front corner, and that if I manually smoothed the gasket against the underside of the room, there was no problem. I decided to just continue this practice rather than take a chance on getting a new gasket installed.
The second problem was much tougher- it took two years to resolve. We had water entering on the rear side of the slideout with the slide in. I tried to track down the leak, but could only see a water drip at the bottom of the gasket. I finally ordered a new gasket from Monaco, and replaced the entire gasket. It made it better, but it didn't solve the problem. After a year, I tried adding a thin foam rubber strip on top of the original gasket. Still leaked.
finally one rainy night I went out and inspected the interior of the slide- I found the water running off the bottom of the slide inside. Definitely not a gasket leak! I found that water was leaking into the slide body from exterior joints, running along the bottom of the slide, and dripping into the carpet. I sealed all the exterior slide seams with 3M marine sealant, and had to epoxy the bottom of the slide back together.
No more leaks in over a year!
Ed


2002 Holiday Rambler Admiral 32



Print  |  Close