|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rand McNalley RVND7720 GPS - Same ole issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MTPockets1

USA - Usually West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks chiming in on the Heartland web site seem to have same kind of replies as on the earlier 7710 version.. A few like it, but the primary issues are the same.... Rand McNally not responsive to tech issues, Not a very bright display, ... Garmin seems to have a better display..... I wish Garmin had a model for programming the trailer height, weight, etc... along with the RV Points of interest.. That $100 trade-in may have attracted some, but I have the 7710 and it's just not worth it to have the same problems as the older version....

Any 7720 users feel any better than they did with the 7710?

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do a search on 7720 you will find a lot of reading...

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

scootsk

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MTPockets1 wrote:

Folks chiming in on the Heartland web site seem to have same kind of replies as on the earlier 7710 version.. A few like it, but the primary issues are the same.... Rand McNally not responsive to tech issues, Not a very bright display, ... Garmin seems to have a better display..... I wish Garmin had a model for programming the trailer height, weight, etc... along with the RV Points of interest.. That $100 trade-in may have attracted some, but I have the 7710 and it's just not worth it to have the same problems as the older version....

If the programming of the 7720 was the same as the 7710 as far a width and hieghgt go. its for the birds. 7710 sent me on a road with a 10'6" over \pass when I programmed in a 13' 6" RV height.

Don, Kathleen and our little men Henry, Will and Bailey the Wonder Wheaten
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7L/AISIN
Formally: 02' Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 8.1/Allison (The Gasoholic)
2010 Jayco 351 RLSA Fifth Wheel

MTPockets1

USA - Usually West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scootsk wrote:

MTPockets1 wrote:

If the programming of the 7720 was the same as the 7710 as far a width and hieghgt go. its for the birds. 7710 sent me on a road with a 10'6" over \pass when I programmed in a 13' 6" RV height.

I had the same issue with my 7710 ..... It wanted to take me on the Blue Grass Parkway not too far from Cherokee, NC thru some tunnels with a center height of 14 ft, others as much as 16 ft - my clearance is 13'1"..... My intuition said to look into this a bit more so I looked at the Blue Grass Parkway web site and discovered the Tunnels are narrow and are round at top - high centers but low on both sides and were too narrow for me to have cleared the sides - The side clearances are clearly marked just over 10 ft. on the tunnels which we discovered later when driving only the truck .... Glad I listened to my gut and checked..... Would have been a heck of a traffic jam had I gone with the 7710 recommendation.

pasco1215

Central Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MTPockets1

Garmin just came out with a new one that may interest you.
Check out the Garmin Dezl 760LMT, it comes in a 5" or 7" screen.

HAPPY RVing!
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

MTPockets1

USA - Usually West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasco1215 wrote:

MTPockets1

Garmin just came out with a new one that may interest you.
Check out the Garmin Dezl 760LMT, it comes in a 5" or 7" screen.

I did see the Ad but wondered about the coverage for RV sites - campgrounds, etc... and would all the trucker info just be a waste of money. Seems like it has some room for Garmin to tweek for RV use.

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Yep, they don't seen to get very good reviews in the end. We have keep it simple over thhe many mnay years as RV Travelers.

We started out wiht an older TOM-TOM-One GPS System. Have used it for years, so far wiht nno problems for us. Still using the Older TOM-TOM-ONE, and a "Delorme GPS System" for a Laptop, still no problems for us anyways.

TYhen some tinme ago, we bought another TOM-TOM-ONE GPS System. Still no problems for us, anyways. We use the 5 inch TOM-TOM-ONE GPS and the "Delorme GPS System in our Motorhome, and the Older, much smaller TOM-TOM-ONE GPS SYSTEM in ouur Toad, sop we are never without a GPS System with us.

We also use Google Earth for a lot of looking over places, still no problems for us, anyways.

Between the three different GPS Systems, we have never been taken down any wrong roads of have ever gotten lost or heading in the worng direction.

Of coarse we do use a Compass also. At one time in my life, I was an Expert in using them, in the jungles of Viet-Nam. We have never, ever been lost in our lives so far, or for as long as CRS doesn't hit me to hard.

Good Luck. Happy Travels, Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the RM 7710 one year ago, what a POS. I did not like it from the first day I tried to program it as per the instructions. I called tech support and it must have been in New Deli because the guys accent was terrible. I have lived all over the world so I am used to accents. He finally admitted he knew nothing about the 7710 and would have a supervisor call me back. I am still waiting for that call.......I let my son try it beside his Tom-Tom....He got back from his trip and told me I should sell it on Craigs list.....I just believe that something that cost $399.00 should work better. My old Garmin 350 works 10 times better. I think RM should refund everybody's money and just concentrate on their maps. I just saw in the paper that for years sailors have looked for an island that appears on ocean maps that is not there. Some one proved that there never was an island there. Way to go map makers.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rand McNalley RVND7720 GPS - Same ole issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS