RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Will batteries charge when running on 120v?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Will batteries charge when running on 120v?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
nmhuntr

Las Cruces, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the basic answer is no. I am thinking of adding a small battery charger to the TH that stay hooked up and charge automatically as soon as 110v is supplied via gen set or shore power. I am certain this has been tried and I am looking for some guidance. My initial thought is to get a small battery maintainer and wire it in. While at the house I keep the TH hooded to power and then when I boondock and run the gen set it will charge as well.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Greg

2005 Fleetwood Pioneer ASV 180FK
2008 Tundra

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your missing your converter. Your TH should have a converter installed that automatically charges your batteries anytime 110volt AC is applied. No need for a seperate battery charger. If your batteries are not charging when plugged in go find your converter and post the model number here, we can help troubleshoot

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/13 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. That's one of the things your converter is for!

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You RV should have an on-board converter/charger unit to keep your batteries charged when plugged into shore power. Here is a simplified block diagram showing a typical 30AMP RV system...

It is important to have a modern technolgy converter/charger unit on the RV trailer as smart mode technology charging will not boil out your battery bank if left on for long period of times. I used to check once a week with the older converter/chargers unit and had to add battery fluids all the time. Now i still check on a regular basis but adding battery fluids is a thing of the past. The new smart-mode converter/charger unit take good care of your installed batteries...

Roy Ken

nmhuntr

Las Cruces, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So as long as I am hooked to any 110v sourse it will trickle charge or quick charge as required by it's own monitoring system?

I have a WF-8945AN-11 (in 2005 Fleetwood) and the book reads like that but I was skepticle to accept it as being all I needed.

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/13 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nmhuntr wrote:

So as long as I am hooked to any 110v sourse it will trickle charge or quick charge as required by it's own monitoring system?

I have a WF-8945AN-11 (in 2005 Fleetwood) and the book reads like that but I was skepticle to accept it as being all I needed.

Why?

As long as you haven't made any modifications, then yes that's all you need....

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nmhuntr wrote:

Yes, in theory. The WFCO converters (and I have one) are notoreous for not going into boost mode (quick charge in your terms) most caused by the trailer manufacturer using too long of wire runs and too thin wire between the converter and batteries.

Go check your TH battery voltage at the battery with a DVM when the trailer is plugged in. If you are seeing around 13.6volts then the WFCO converter is working

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The older WFCO converters/chargers like the WF-8900 series are notorious for not going into smart mode charging when needed and alot of folks have changed them out for modern smart mode technology units like the PD4600 series or the IOTA series units. You only change out the converter/charger module and it will fit in the bottom compartment of the WFCO 8900 series power distribution panel where all of your 120VAC breakers and 12VDC fuses are located.

I have the same WFCO 8900 series power Distribution Panel in my trailer but use the PD9200 series convert/charger unit as it always goes into smart mode charging technology when needed. Change out is an easy process.... Contact Randy at BESTCONVERTERs for all the details you need.

Roy Ken

64thunderbolt

Az

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/13 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving the shore power plugged in all the time is putting undue milage on your conv. Flip the batt disconnect then switch the batt back on & plug it in 2 days before leaving to cool the fridge and top off the batt. Been doing this for years. I have had friends fry their conv here in this Az heat leaving them plugged in all the time. Not good.

Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" turbo back exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
08 Arctic Cat Prowler 700XTX

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/13 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My converter/charger died this summer, when it did I upgraded to one with automatic 4-stage charging including boost, normal, storage and desulfation. So far been very happy with the results.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Will batteries charge when running on 120v?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS