|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> heat pump question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
campingman55

wichita falls

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we full time in out curretn 5th wheel that has heat strips in the a/c units and we run space heaters nad it keeps it warm with both with out using the gas and the new 5th wheel has heat pumps i need to know that if i run the heat pump with the space heaters will it put out heat with out using the gas and i heard that when it reachs a certain temp out side the furnace will turn on can somebody explain it to me

2005 vectra 40fd motor home and wife and our 2 pita malties and a mini poodle

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campingman55 wrote:

we full time in out curretn 5th wheel that has heat strips in the a/c units and we run space heaters nad it keeps it warm with both with out using the gas and the new 5th wheel has heat pumps i need to know that if i run the heat pump with the space heaters will it put out heat with out using the gas and i heard that when it reachs a certain temp out side the furnace will turn on can somebody explain it to me

Most heat pumps have a low temperature cut out. They will shut down and your furnace will kick on instead at a certain temperature. Most residential heat pumps have jumpers on their circuit boards that set the cut out temperature. I'm not sure if RV heat pumps are the same or are set at the factory for a certain cut out temperature. I am in residential ac and heat pump manufacturing business and work right next door to the company that makes the Coleman brand RV ac's and heat pumps so I suppose it would be easy for me to find out. Usually this all controlled by the thermostat. This is usually the case whether or not you are running electric heat like you have in your heat pump or gas heat like your furnace.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
1983 DW (love of my life)
2010 Pit Bull Terrier (Jake)

2010 Camping Nights 45
2011 Camping Nights 70
2012 Camping Nights 144
2013 Camping Nights 46
2014 Camping Nights 31

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our last TT had a heat pump. It cut out about 40 degrees. Below that thbey get so inefficient they are littloe us anyway.

Our heat pump/AC had NOTHING to do with the furnace thermostat. They were seperately set.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outside temps. have no influence on heat strips. Set the temp. with a thermostat and it will come on and go off to adjust the temps. you set.

Heat pumps run your A/C compressor with switched refrigerant lines. The lower the outside air, the less effient heat pumps are.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

howardwheeler

West, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a duotherm heat pump that works into the low 30s then automatically will kick on the propane furnace if temps continue to fall. It works great. When it gets below 40 or so it will periodically shut the fan off and switch the freon flow in order to deice the condensor. That allows it to keep working even into the low 30s. It saves a lot of propane. I have it as a necessity on a trailer now that I've had one

* This post was edited 01/02/13 07:24pm by howardwheeler *

campingman55

wichita falls

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/13 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we use the heat strips for back up heat with the heatstrips and they say the heat strips will work down to 40 but with the space heaters it heats the air and when the heat strips turn on it super heats the air so at 20 we have good heat coming out of the vents with out using the furnace at all

Trail-Mate

Frederick, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/13 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My carrier switches over at 40 degrees. If above that it will run the heat pump. The Heat Pump does heat my entire trailer very well and I leave the circulation fan on low also, This help keeping the air mixed. Also watch using to many heaters when using the heat pump. It draws current like it does in AC mode, So if you are on 30 or even 50 amp connection you can overload the system. I have found on mine if running the heat pump you can run one 1500 watt heater alone with it on either 30 or 50 amp, But add even a 600 watt will overload the system on 30 amp hookup and not necessarily kick a breaker off. It will make the 30 amp connection at the box very hot and could cause fire or melting. On 50 amp this is not a problem. I would suggest only running one 1500 watt or less heater from the trailer connection, and run a separate cord from the outside box to run additional heaters. I am winter camping and am running one 1500 watt from trailer, another 750 watt running on cord of proper size to the outside box, This heater is in my Utility bay so running the cord is not a problem. I also plug my truck into this cord, To not overload the circuit I have timers on the heater and cord for my truck , so they are never on at the same time.

1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/13 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our 2011 Carriage with the Airxcel Polar Mach heat pump, the following is right out of our owners manual. I would imgine your works the same or silimlar. Phillip

The lower the outside temperature the less effective the unit is as a heat pump. That's why most units don't work below about 37*F. In our case the gas furnace "assists" the heat pump if the set temperature is more than 4*F below the ambient indoor temperature and over 37*F outside. The gas furnace will blow heat through the floor registers and the heat pump will blow warm air through the ceiling vents. Once the set temp is met the gas furnace will shut off and the heat pump will maintain the set temp.

If the outside temp is less than 37*F the heat pump will attempt to run for 3 cycles. If the outdoor sensor determines the outdoor temperature is cold enough to frost over the cooling coils it shuts down the unit. The thermostat will allow the heat pump to attempt 3 starts before it will turn it off and the gas furnace will take over.

2013 Silverado 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
Jacksonville, FL

life2short4nofun

Fulltime

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/13 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Dometic HP and the front stops running and the rear switch to propane furnace at 30 degrees. We heat with them, if its below 30 we run a infrared heater and the fireplace and it keeps up about 73 in 10 degree weather and set the propane down to 70 just incase.

The Browns
2002 Ford Western Hauler
2013 Cedar Creek 36B4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> heat pump question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS