|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Waste Water Totes Seem To Be A Waste

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alrighty......I have now discovered that my second Barker blue tote has sprung a leak. My first one a 32 gallon tote developed a crack next to one of the lower bolt holes for the side gate valve. That tote had been used two seasons. To thier credit Barker replaced it under warranty even though the warranty had expired. At that time I upgraded to the 42 gallon tote and paid the difference in cost from the 32 gallon to the 42 gallon. Last summer I noticed the 42 gallon tote was leaking. Today with nothing better to do I did a little investigative work and discovered this tote is leaking from two cracks next to the front two bolt holes for the front wheel plate. This tote has been used for three seasaons. Now what?????? I doubt Barker is going to replace this one and I am reluctant to buy another Barker tote. A friend of mine has a thetford tote and doesn't seem to have any issues with it. Are there others or is Barker and Thetford the only ones out there?

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
1983 DW (love of my life)
2010 Pit Bull Terrier (Jake)

2010 Camping Nights 45
2011 Camping Nights 70
2012 Camping Nights 144
2013 Camping Nights 46
2014 Camping Nights 49

Javi1

Waco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Thetford seems to be working just fine... although I only haul it when we're going to a campground without full hookups.. so it doesn't get used a lot.. maybe 2 weeks a year...

My only complaint is that it is nearly impossible to completely empty it.... ever

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/13 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barker will replace it. Contact them. They stand behind their products.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

LynnandCarol

Rockport, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friction and heat from pulling that plastic tank is bad bad bad. We bought a macerator and pump that waste into the tank sitting in the bed of the truck. We can then take it where ever we need to go without worrying about going 5 miles and hour. Since you are emptying from higher up it seems to go better also. We stay in federal and state parks most of the time and they do not have sewer so we use ours a lot of the time. Had the same blue boy for years.

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LynnandCarol wrote:

Friction and heat from pulling that plastic tank is bad bad bad. We bought a macerator and pump that waste into the tank sitting in the bed of the truck. We can then take it where ever we need to go without worrying about going 5 miles and hour. Since you are emptying from higher up it seems to go better also. We stay in federal and state parks most of the time and they do not have sewer so we use ours a lot of the time. Had the same blue boy for years.

I'm well aware of the friction heat issue. I had to replace the front wheels on my first tote because they got too hot. Learned my leasson the hard way. This second tote has been used quite a bit but I still think it should have lasted more than three seasons. In retrospect it really has only been used two seasons because we were camp hosts all last season and never had to use it.

BuckBarker

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It got me thinking about keeping mine hanging from my ladder all year long. It bakes in the sun and I suppose could become brittle. Perhaps I should store it in the shed when not in use.

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/13 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the idea of having the tank in the truck and pumping the wast in through the micrometer pump. Great idea. I had to park rv behind a church for 3 weeks while my mother was recovering from a very tough surgery. The guy that was helping me on the farm had a pickup with round bale hay forks. We had to let the forks down and pick up the tank very carefully to get to a dump. It worked but near as easy as the micro pump. I do my best to stay where there is full hookups.

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

LynnandCarol

Rockport, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BuckBarker wrote:

It got me thinking about keeping mine hanging from my ladder all year long. It bakes in the sun and I suppose could become brittle. Perhaps I should store it in the shed when not in use.

Agree with this also. We also hang ours on the ladder and cover it with a old air conditioner cover. Sun is your enemy.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/13 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 3 year old 32 gal Barker and have had no issues. BuckBarker; get the tote out of the sun, it's a killer! I store mine under my TT at home btw.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been using my Tote-N-Stor for many years with no issues.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Waste Water Totes Seem To Be A Waste
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS