|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Waste Water Totes Seem To Be A Waste

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LynnandCarol wrote:

Friction and heat from pulling that plastic tank is bad bad bad. We bought a macerator and pump that waste into the tank sitting in the bed of the truck. We can then take it where ever we need to go without worrying about going 5 miles and hour. Since you are emptying from higher up it seems to go better also. We stay in federal and state parks most of the time and they do not have sewer so we use ours a lot of the time. Had the same blue boy for years.

Finally, a reason for buying the macerator that I did 4 years ago. Thanks!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/13 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a barker Blue tote (10 gallon) i used for many years when I had a trailr.. Not only that I "Abused" it, the 10 gallon size is not designed to be towed but I modified a hitch fork (yes, that is proper. Hitch Fork) for a 15 gallon tote to work on it (Details on request) so i could tow it cause 10 gallons plus tote is .. Well, heavy

I could really use one in the 38-42 gallon size. In a few months (Well actually next fall)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/13 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our first one today at CW. It is a 15 gallon Tote-N-Store. In all our years of camping we have never needed one but we stay in this particular state park for two weeks at a time and need to dump our grey water. We are thinking of donating it to the park. The little wheels on it don't look very sturdy but it did a good job. lizzie

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/13 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had one Tote-N-Store for 7 years and another for half that. I also use my Flojet to pump the waste into the totes while they are in the back of the truck and transport them that way. No leaks so far, totes I have are very sturdy.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/13 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 32 gallon Barker tote with the side valve for over 10 years now. Last summer I replaced all the wheels because the rubber finally disintegrated. (not bad for probably hundreds off miles being towed over 9 years). Other than the rubber on the tires, the tote is still is great shape. I do keep loosing the little cap where the garden hose screws on, but I finally bought a few plastic ones from Lowes so when I forget to put them on and lay them down and then leave, I can replace them

I don't understand why you're having such bad luck with yours. I do take special care of mine. It's washed out well after every trip, rinsed after every use, drained in the winter, and stored in our shed completely out of the elements in the winter. In transport, it's in the back of the pick-up bed under the shell, and when towing it with the truck I never get over 5-10 mph, watch for bad cracks and holes in the road and do my best to avoid hitting them. It's never kept in the sun, always under shade and always drained.

I don't know how you're taking care of yours, but if you're just using it without giving it a little extra attention and protection and care and preventative maintenance, letting it be exposed to sunlight, excessive heat, or filled with fluid and frozen in the winter, that would explain why it's leaking.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/13 11:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2 wheel 25 gallon tote-n-store. Very robust unit.

I've never trusted the 4 wheel design. Something about the caster design just irks me.

The 25 gallon is smaller than my holding tanks but I can maneuver 25 gallons pretty easy. 1-2 trips is no big deal IMO.

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/13 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the thetford 35 gallon. Have had it several years now and no issues. It does stay in our garage when not in use. It gets used maybe a total of a week to two weeks a year. The only time In its in the sunlight is when it's in the back of the truck during travel. We don't take it if we are staying at.FHU site. If you use it heavily then a couple years is probably a decent timeframe. I guess it also depends on how you are pulling it to the dump station and how far. They are meant to go very slow, usually way slower than the speed limit in a park. Also if you are pulling over a gravel road, then that is likely going to cause more havoc on it.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/13 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lizzie wrote:

We bought our first one today at CW. It is a 15 gallon Tote-N-Store. In all our years of camping we have never needed one but we stay in this particular state park for two weeks at a time and need to dump our grey water. We are thinking of donating it to the park. The little wheels on it don't look very sturdy but it did a good job. lizzie

Which state park?

BrokenElbow

Valencia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/13 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 32 gal 4 wheel Barker. Changed all 4 wheels to air tires. Worked well, but then got a Flojet Mascerator and now do what others have mentioned. I put the tote in the back of the tv and pump up into it, drive to the dump and use a short slinky to empty it. I store it in the garage (out of the sun) when I'm not going to a site with full hook up. Works great for both grey and black.

2011 Montana 3455, MorRyde pin box, TrailerSaver BD3 air hitch, G614 tires, 2x6volt batts, 2 x Honda 2000i, Rotochoks, 6 pnt Levelup, TST TPMS, Arvika bike rack, Voyager Semi Wireless Rear Cam, Flojet Mascerator, 2008 F350 Lariat 6.4L diesel 4x4 SB CC SRW

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/13 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...also as another member mentioned, you should contact Barker anyway, there's a good chance they will replace it even though out of warranty. Mfgs often want to see defective parts and get them back to identify a potential problem.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Waste Water Totes Seem To Be A Waste
Search:   Advanced Search