|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Small Gray and Black Tanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
flexdog1

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/13 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As we are searching for a new Class C, we are seeing some with 39-40gal gray and black tanks, and some with 29(ish) gal tanks. We are concerned with the smaller tanks as most state parks here in Indiana don't have full hook-ups, so we have to try to stretch it through the weekend on the waste tanks and dump at the end of the weekend. We can often get close enough to water for a refill, or they have water at the sites.

With our Outback 301BQ, we have 40 gal gray/black tanks and we have had to use the Thetford SmartTote to dump the gray during a weekend like this.

What do you all do with a Class C? Do you unhook and go dump during the weekend? Do you use the honey wagon and another vehicle?

Just thinking ahead if we get one of these units with the smaller tanks. Does anyone make an auxillary tank that works? Are there other options.

Thanks,
-scott

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/13 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 30 gal tanks in our C... OK with the black for about 4 days (2 of us)
and the gray, if I conserve (like not running the water while rinsing the silverware, brushing the teeth and limit shower time) I can make it for the 4 days. However, normal usage on the gray is 2 days. Our last motorhome had the bathroom sink drain into the black tank and that was a nightmare! Every other day it had to be dumped, conserving or not. If I was really concerned I would get a tote or if at red light, unhook and go dump. I know, pain, but...

Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/13 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The secret is not to connect up to city water. By doing so we tend to run off less water and the tanks last longer.

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/13 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect that the RVs with the smaller tanks are made for folks like me that always stay at FHU parks. The smaller tanks wouldn't cramp my lifestyle.
But most folks buying their first RV don't know what they need, what's available or how they'll use it. More likely, the manufacturers are saving money and offering more storage space for things other than water and sewage.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/13 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

flexdog1 wrote:

As we are searching for a new Class C, we are seeing some with 39-40gal gray and black tanks, and some with 29(ish) gal tanks. We are concerned with the smaller tanks as most state parks here in Indiana don't have full hook-ups, so we have to try to stretch it through the weekend on the waste tanks and dump at the end of the weekend. We can often get close enough to water for a refill, or they have water at the sites.

With our Outback 301BQ, we have 40 gal gray/black tanks and we have had to use the Thetford SmartTote to dump the gray during a weekend like this.

What do you all do with a Class C? Do you unhook and go dump during the weekend? Do you use the honey wagon and another vehicle?

Just thinking ahead if we get one of these units with the smaller tanks. Does anyone make an auxillary tank that works? Are there other options.

Thanks,
-scott

sunseeker 39 gallon black,39 gray,44 fresh

could use a porta potti as back up

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/13 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

40 gal grey and 40 gallon black and you are having to use a tote for grey to get thru a weekend

Need to do more in the conservation mode on use of water.

How many of 'you' are there?

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/13 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on "How Many?"

With 40-gal tanks, DW and I can go to nearly two weeks at the state park, connected to their water. We use the campground shower and use the outside shower after the beach. We don't use paper plates and wash dishes in the coach, with careful water use a the sink. Add Kids or Non-Campers, no way.

If we get to filling up our tanks, I think I'd rather get a cart than move the RV to the dump station. I've borrowed an 18-gallon one and that's enough weight to be walking it to the dump on pavement or packed gravel. Any bigger'd need to be towed with a vehicle.

If God's your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/13 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 24 black and 60 gray in our trailer. We can easily go 4 to 6 days with three of us.
Does the camp have a shower house? Use it when convenient.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/13 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We can go five days with 5 people on 33 gallons of water and not need to dump the tanks.

If in a campground without hook-ups (most BC Provincial parks), we use the campground facilities most the time.

We use 'real' dishes.

We do not have a blue tote.

We can do 3 days with 4 people using our facilities and shower with our on board capacity.

Our bathroom sink drains into the Black tank. This is not an issue for us. We have never had a black tank clog or problem.

Rolin

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/13 11:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Motorhome has smaller gray and black water tanks. We can go 4 days before we have to dump. With our smaller motorhome it is quite easy to brake camp and go dump. Takes about 30 minutes. I think that 30 gal tanks are fine for two people. Perhaps not so good for a family of four or five.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Small Gray and Black Tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS