|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Small Gray and Black Tanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 on how many people you are accomodating.

For my wife and I, we do perfect on 3 day get-aways with...
- 41 gallons fresh water
- 23 gallons gray
- 35 gallons black
We do blend the gray with black as needed, usually once, rarely twice. Our floorplan plumbing couldn't work it out having the gray as the bigger tank which would have been ideal.

I understand a few campgrounds allow gray water to be dispersed on the ground at the camp site with restrictions, but we have never done it. It would be a question to ask the campground host. Since most water usage is gray, that would help immensely when you can refill your fresh water tank on-site.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

dcason

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using the campground restrooms and our toilet...we wash dishes, etc.
We can last two frugal weeks on the grey..black longer...although the darn thing never registers correctly.

Our Blog

flexdog1

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

X3 on how many people you are accomodating.

We do blend the gray with black as needed, usually once, rarely twice.

Ron and others,
sorry for delay in responding...

We have 4 members of our family and two that wash long hair in the shower. So, I know what we need to do if we want to conserve water..take shorter showers or use the bath houses!

I am curious how you blend the gray and black as needed? And does that cause any problems with odors in the gray drains?

Thanks,
-scott

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 29 gallons on each tank. How long that goes depends on how many people using how much of what how often. Wife and I could do OK 3-4 days without filling either tank, using only on-board facilities. Alone, I can go a week in a public CG, sometimes using public facilities. My two grand-daughters could fill the black tank in less than two days (don't know what they are doing in there, something grandma taught them about how to use it).

I've never called for the honey wagon, or used a tote. It seldom takes more than 10-15 minutes to leave the campsite for the dump station, and most of that time is picking stuff so I can move the slideouts, and putting away the things that are going to crash around when the motorhome moves. However, if you do an elaborate campsite setup of stuff attached to the RV (awnings, lights, carpeted screen rooms) moving can by more inconvenient.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

flexdog1

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tatest wrote:

I have 29 gallons on each tank. How long that goes depends on how many people using how much of what how often. Wife and I could do OK 3-4 days without filling either tank, using only on-board facilities. Alone, I can go a week in a public CG, sometimes using public facilities. My two grand-daughters could fill the black tank in less than two days (don't know what they are doing in there, something grandma taught them about how to use it).

I've never called for the honey wagon, or used a tote. It seldom takes more than 10-15 minutes to leave the campsite for the dump station, and most of that time is picking stuff so I can move the slideouts, and putting away the things that are going to crash around when the motorhome moves. However, if you do an elaborate campsite setup of stuff attached to the RV (awnings, lights, carpeted screen rooms) moving can by more inconvenient.

Tom, this sounds like us..
We don't hook up a lot of stuff, so I would rather conserve well, and then when we do need to dump, just pull in the slides and go do it. I have used the tote a few times and it seems that the tote is more of a pain than driving to the station would be (because you can only go 5mph with the tote in tow.) In addition, if I don't have a tow vehicle, then what am I going to drag the tote to the dumpsite with, my bike? I guess we could take the tote with us and dump it when we dumped the MH...

What a funny discussion.

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

flexdog1 wrote:

I am curious how you blend the gray and black as needed? And does that cause any problems with odors in the gray drains?
Hi Scott,

Blending tanks where the gray is full and the black has lots of room, there is no concern of black sewage getting into the sink drains or more concerning, the shower pan.

Motor homes are setup in a number of different ways, but I think most common having a single shared sewage end cap and one valve for each waste tank. That would be the worst scenerio because you end up with sewage right behind the cap, ready to "get you" when it comes time to drain both tanks.

If your rig has a 3rd valve right before the end cap, it holds back everything from the end cap when blending tanks.

We have a 3rd setup, this clean hands macerator pump setup which is not common to the industry. It does make blending and draining extremely clean and easy.

Regardless of which setup you have, the scenerio is to have a lot more liquid in the gray tank than in the black tank. You first open the gray tank to flood the pipes and back up right against the black tank valve. Then open the black valve so the strong force of a full gray tank charges into the near empty black tank. Once the rushing sound stops, immediately shut the black tank, then the gray.

We follow this process as instructed by Phoenix USA when we pickup up our new rig back in 2007.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We fill Gray faster than Black too. I do my own Blending by dumping dishwater into the toilet. Sometimes I do that with water we boiled veggies in and the like. I wash dishes in something that we used at the table or in meal prep, a bowl, pot, etc. so it's easy to Blend that soapy water into the Black tank. Good thing about Black is we can look down the toilet to see if it's full. Like many, our level gauges don't work dependably.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

sandersmr

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 9 and 15 gal black and gray tanks, and we (2 of us) just went 4 days no problem. Yes, I tend to use the campground facilities when possible, so clean showers is something I look at in the reviews. My shower is so small it's not as comfortable as using the facilities anyway.

Yes, I wish I had more - I also wish I had a little larger trailer. But it's what I have for now so I make the most of it and still have fun.

Maggie

Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6 L V8

flexdog1

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

We have a 3rd setup, this clean hands macerator pump setup which is not common to the industry. It does make blending and draining extremely clean and easy.

Ron,
Did the macerator pump come with your unit? Does anyone have any experience that would suggest that these are a worthwhile modification if the unit does not come wiht them?

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as a tip that probably many of you are aware of:

RV campers usually find that their grey tank fills faster than their black tank. That is how it is with us, as our black tank is 39 gallons but our grey tank is only 29 gallons.

What we do to extend our stay without making a dump trip prematurely is off-load grey water into the black tank to balance out their fill-rates. I carry a small bucket with us and use it to take water from the grey tank's outside drain into the toilet and just dump in as many bucketfuls from the grey tank as necessary to lower it's contents sufficiently. Works like a champ to keep going with a too-small grey tank.

FWIW, if your RV tanks are different sizes, I prefer the black tank to be the largest - so the ickiest tank to empty is the one that needs to be emptied the least often.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Small Gray and Black Tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS