|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Pulling into Gas Stations with 30 foot TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2013 Salem 27DBUD..which is really about a 30 foot unit. Largest we have had before this was 25 foot...and it was MUCH shorter (height wise) and narrower. The new Salem is great...and have used a truck stop to fuel up...but are there any of you that actually plan out FUEL STOPS before a trip or just wing it?

Maybe too much worry...but this new trailer is taller (8 foot ceilings inside), wider, and longer than I've pulled. Down the highway is no problem...its those stops that I wonder about....

2012 GMC Z71 Ext Cab w/ tow pkge & 87 Oct tune from Diablosport Intune
2013 Forest River Salem 27DBUD
MLEE is Mike, Lorie, Emily, Ella
Wife and I camped as kids....and now our kids will too!!!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mleekamp wrote:

We have a 2013 Salem 27DBUD..which is really about a 30 foot unit. Largest we have had before this was 25 foot...and it was MUCH shorter (height wise) and narrower. The new Salem is great...and have used a truck stop to fuel up...but are there any of you that actually plan out FUEL STOPS before a trip or just wing it?

Maybe too much worry...but this new trailer is taller (8 foot ceilings inside), wider, and longer than I've pulled. Down the highway is no problem...its those stops that I wonder about....

trailer is 35' overall, combo is 60+' overall. No we don't really "Plan" stops. Before we leave I know about how far I want to go before fueling, and know when to start looking. In places we go, it is often 50-100 miles between stations, so don't want to be out of fuel. Usually use an android app as we get near to see what stations are nearby. In 15,000 miles never had an issue. Most of the pilot, flying J, Loves etc. are no issue with fueling. And most local major stations aren't an issue either. When driving by it's pretty easy for me to see if they aren't set up for a truck, trailer combo. But those are few and far between.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

closurdo

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My method is simple, I only pull off at exits that list more than one gas station. I then look for one that has the pumps parallel to the street. My trailer is only 28' bumper to hitch but my truck is a crew cab long bed so I need some room to maneuver.

2003 Silverado 2500hd Duramax
1998 Sunnybrook 26cks
Equal-i-zer Hitch

foneguy493

northeast ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing it ! i never plan a trip with fuel in mind no patience for that, when traveling i get to 1/4 tank time for fuel if i see flying j ill go there but ill pull mine into ANY station, dodge 1500 quad cab with 27b hornet at close to 30 feet.
oh i use gas buddy ap on phone to find cheaper fuel prices

take pictures.....leave bubbles

04 1500 ram 4x4
08 hornet 27b hideout

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My prior TV could handle 150-180 mile towing range, not quite enough for most of our trips. I always filled prior to hooking up, though. New TV is about 260-300, which is enough for all of our camping thus far.

I never planned the fuel stops prior to leaving home, but did plan once on the road. I would exit interstates where there were multiple stations and pick one with easy access. Pumps parallel to the road, wide spacing, or one next to a side street were favorable. Read the sign for height too.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

ronniedean1234

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stop about every 500 miles, just bragging but the best places to pull into would be your truck stops, alot more room for movability and if you want to take a break, alot of room to park. Do not worry you will be fine...........

2012 Montana 3800RE/Level Up/Slide Toppers/MoRyde Hitch/VuCube 2000
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped

jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just know you will frequently be required to back up to get out of a gas station. ALWAYS SEND OUT A SPOTTER FOR BACK UPS AND TIGHT TURNS. My diesel was a lot easier. I just filled up where the big rigs went.

Jim & Sherri
05 Jayco Eagle 308 FBS, Dual Cam
2001 Ford Excursion 4.30 LSD,V-10,2WD,RAS,5-Star tuner
Honda EU2000 & EU1000 gensets;
2000 watt Tripp-Lite inverter/charger APS 2012
Saturn SD365 inflatable, 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha
"Scout" Springer Spaniel

BlizzardBuzzard

South Windsor, CT, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually plan my stops in advance of a long trip so I am not searching at the last minute, while I am tired.

The best way to identify Fuel Stops, Rest Areas, etc., is to take a helicopter ride following your intended route and familiarize yourself with it.

No helicopter, No problem, just start Google Maps and change the view to "Earth". Go to your route and zoom in enough to see buildings. Fly over the route until you see something of interest. Zoom in some more to check it out. Change to "Satellite" View to get the exit number and often the name of the business. When in Satellite View, you can often go to "Street View" to see what it looks like from the driver's seat. Zoom back out and go back to "Earth" to continue your chopper tour.

With some practice, you can manipulate the chopper with ease. The top round control is to tilt and turn/rotate the chopper. The smaller round control allows you to go left, right, forward and reverse and controls your flight speed. Put the cursor over the little hand in the center and hold down the left mouse button while you move the mouse just a little in the direction you want to fly.

Note; RV's often look like trucks from the air, but they can be identified by objects on their roofs.

If you see something that looks promising and it isn't labeled, make note of the exit number and do a search for it.
Example, search "Fuel Virginia I-95 Exit 104"

I like to keep a list of my planned or experienced destinations.
I save them in the following formats.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.9335,-77.4735+(Flying-J,VA I-95, E104, Ruther Glen)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.5176,-78.2899+(NC I-95 E97, J.R Discount Outlets)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=30.7,-81.677+(RA-S; FL I-95, M378)
Ref; RA-S is my abreviation of "Rest Area - South"
If you try these go to satellite view and zoom in some.

One final note, if you place the cursor over something on the satellite image and right click, then left click on "What's Here?", you will get the Lat/Lon displayed in the Google search box.

When you use this technique you will feel like you have been there when you arrive.

Good luck and happy flying.

Dave, N1ACM
2004 Dodge Ram 2500HD, Quad Cab, Long Bed, Cummings
1999 Prowler 285S, 5W & 2008 Fun Finder X-160
Reese 15K, Prodigy
Luhrs 3400MY & Trophy 2302

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if I see a truck stop and my gauge is around the half way mark, I stop and fill up.

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more for wingin it!
I've never 'planned' my fuel stops. Ok ok, my rig isn't long, but lets not worry about that. I've spent more miles pulling a 30' horse trailer than my TH or flatbed.

Over the years I've learned that the harder ones to physically in/out of are the small 'mom & pop' local run stations, and usually they aren't busy enough to cause you a problem. You are more likely to cause or be part of a jam at one of the bigger more common stations because they are more busy!

Not to be a jerk, but I've blocked my part of lanes/pumps/accesses at stations. It is easier for a car/truck without a trailer to maneuver, so make them. I had a grocery fuel station in Montana all sorts of screwed up while getting diesel last fall (on our way to Glacier). Oh no, people had to back up to leave because my trailer blocked the opposite entry/exit point. I didn't care, I needed fuel, that is where the diesel pump(s) were, and I had a way to get out without much hassle.

Sometimes you've just got to nose-in and claim some space.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges in cubby hole, GDP 20/2 filters on frame rail, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Pulling into Gas Stations with 30 foot TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: