|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Pulling into Gas Stations with 30 foot TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
daamac

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I'm in a really rural area, I plan out stops somewhat - like filling up in a town with fuel, even if I'm only half empty.

If I'm not in a rural area, I don't plan out stops - but I do start to look for fuel no later than when my gauge reads 1/4 tank and I carry 5 gallons of diesel in a jug.

Also, I try to avoid filling up in a large metro area as the pumps are often not friendly to large vehicles plus the traffic is often chaotic.

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a diesel getting fuel finding gas is simply not an issue. Truck stops are plentiful and my fuel range is more than sufficient.
Getting fuel/ finding stations is really not an issue at all for me. One less thing to be concerned about.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

francheska

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TT is 36 ft with hitch so with truck around 50 ft. This last fall we went around 9,000 miles in 92 days.
My DW says the best thing I purchased was the Next Exit book. If you travel interstates its excellent.
Tells you what stations are there, what products offered (diesel-gas-dump-ect.) and what side of the interstate they are on. Also tells you if they are big rig friendly. Also much more information. So I check
gas gauge then ask her to check for exits in the next 50 miles or so that we might want to use. Its great
Good luck Bob

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had a problem getting in and out of gas stations. Just need to look ahead for situations. I will scan the lot quickly and if theres no way out I keep going. I pull 31' OAL with a 169" WB CC LB truck. I've gone into gas stations before and had people block me but I just wait a bit and they will move.

mister_d

Southeast, MI - hardly qualified to be a

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aim for exits with multiple gas stations. Really any where you can pull in forwards, you should be able to back out of. Just be careful, take your time, and forget about what anyone thinks of you.

Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

the e-man

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great question. Here is what I have learned. Don't use regular gas stations if you can avoid it. For the first two years, we just stopped wherever and found ourselves getting frustrated waiting for cars who didn't understand that we couldn't move easily, having to turn too tight for the hitch, backing the trailer in awkward places, etc.

Now, we have the Flying J app on the phone. We try to do everything in one stop; fuel, lunch, and change drivers. We have fewer stops and spend less time at those stops. Not sure if Flying J is the best and I am open to other opinions. But, it sure is set up well for a truck + camper and has made our travels go more smoothly.

Most places we go have fuel stops placed frequently enough. If we are traveling long distances in rural areas, like Montana, I bring an extra 5 gallons just in case.

djcjc

minooka

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pull 33 ft hitch to bumper and fuels stop not a problem truck stop are more convienient but regular stations work to not all islands have diesel so have made a couple laps sometimes to get pump we needed. Getting around is not as hard has you would think good set of mirrors and wide turns so far have never got in a place I could not get out of.

Javi1

Waco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel a lot of secondary roads in Texas and adjoining states so I usually know where I'm at and how far to the next interstate crossing where I'm likely to find a fuel station I can pull through with my rig which is about 55 or so foot... Some small towns will have a major secondary road crossing and there will usually be a fuel station in the area if I miss an interstate... Fortunately my range when towing is about 400 miles so it ain't too bad.. most places we're there before we need fuel..

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/13 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I evaluate every fuel station before I pull off the road. If you get yourself into trouble one time it can be costly and difficult to recover. Think before you turn off of the road.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

69 Avion

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/13 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had no issues with my 34' Avion. I have had it in some tight spots. The toughest part is when you are obviously waiting in line to fill up and some jerk pulls a car in front of you since he can get to the open space faster. I have seen that happen a couple of time, and not just to me. Be patient and cautious and everything will work out fine.

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Pulling into Gas Stations with 30 foot TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts