|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Pulling into Gas Stations with 30 foot TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bob Landry

Austin, texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/13 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will if we have a 4 day weekend. It's about a 8 1/2 hour drive to get to our favorite park in Arkansas. and it's worth the drive, both ways.

2011 Tundra 5.7L
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Searching_Ut

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/13 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We deliberately kept the size of our trailer smaller so that we could fit into more areas. We were primarily thinking about camp spots, but it does make it easier to refuel on the road as well. That said, although the TT is only 28 foot, you still have to watch what you're doing, and sometimes I'll pick a station based on ease of access rather than the price of fuel.

As for the distance on weekends, I'm lucky in that my job provides for a three day weekend every other week. With the wide open fast travel roads we have out west we venture out to around 350 miles each way on many of those weekends. That puts a lot of fantastic spots in range of our weekends.

next2dixie

Orange County, Va.

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/13 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our TT is 35 feet pulled by a quad cab Dodge Ram, so that puts us at about 50 some feet total. We try to stop at Flying J truck stops, seems I remember some that only had diesal....we are gas. The best advice for me is to see how I'll get out of the station before I ever pull in. We have had to back out of a few, DW as a spotter with the walkie talkie,flashers on and backing up slowly. I'm not shy about getting out of the truck to see where I am. People just need to chill and wait for me to move on. If they get ticked they need to get over it. There has been two occasions where I've dropped the trailer in a parking lot near the station and then filled the truck up. I'm glad I don't have a class A with a toad. My bubby has that,sez he can't back up. But, it's all good when we are on the road.

lots2seeinmyrv

Cumberland, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm the co-pilot. I plan some fuel stops ahead of time using findfuelstops.com

We can go about 150 miles or so...then start looking for gas and a break.

You can go on findfuelstops.com and put in Starting Point A to B. It will bring up all the gas stations and some prices along the way and show the mileage along the way. You can click on a gas station and the satellite map of the station comes up and you can see if you can get in and out of there.

Works for us.

2010 Tundra TRD 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L V8 4.30 Max Tow 10,300 Payload 1,640 Class IV Hitch 1,030
Prodigy P2 - Blue Ox Sway Pro 10K/1K lbs
2012 Evergreen Ever-lite 29FK

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always just get fuel the night before a travel day

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

trhendr

Baltimore, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BlizzardBuzzard wrote:

No helicopter, No problem, just start Google Maps and change the view to "Earth".

I just have to say, I'm terrified of gas stations with my 31' trailer (on my first trip I ran slightly over the curb twice)

This is a great idea (Google Maps) and one I have to try next time.

-Tom-

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

LVJJJ wrote:

we tow with a 65 Chevy van (292 6 cyl.)with a 16 gallon gas tank. It gets 10+ mpg towing an '85, 22' Wilderness, so I start looking for gas starting at 100 miles and try not to go past 120 miles before filling up. Even though that results in a lot of stops, we're used to it after towing over 70,000 miles that way. I also carry a 5 gallon gas can, just in case.

We want pics! not that I don`t believe you, but because we want to see your rig!

I personally can go 200 miles before worrying about fuel. that would put me at a 1/4 tank. and when towing out west you may want to step that back to a 1/2 tank. if you decide to wait till the next station that may not be for another 40-50 miles!!! I don`t want that problem at 12 in the a.m.!

This reply is a few days after the post, so I'm not sure if you'll see it but heres the picture. didn't work. I just can't get pictures posted here, anybody know how to do it?

* This post was edited 01/24/13 08:30pm by LVJJJ *

1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6"
1985 WILDERNESS 3000CL
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee111/LVJJJ/CRESBARVAN010.jpg

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I DID IT!

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee111/LVJJJ/CRESBARVAN010.jpg

NullSmurf