|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Pulling into Gas Stations with 30 foot TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cougarnewbie

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife uses a book called Next exit. It lists the services at interstate exits by mile marker. It lists in red places that are considered R. V. friendly. When we get down to around 1/4 tank I tell her, she looks and can tell what's at the next exits. Works great on the interstates.

May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

Longtrace

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

francheska and Cougarnewbie mention "The Next Exit" book. It is good - but really only useful for Interstate Highway travel. I don't stay on the big roads much...

For big trucks or for RV's I like the books published by these folks
http://truckstops.com/
I've worn out a couple copies of Truckers' Friend when driving big trucks. RV'rs Friend is similar but has listings for things like dump stations that most trucks don't need to know about.

There's a map for each state with a "pin" for town with listed services. After the map is the town by town listing with a chart for fuel, parking lot size, ATM, open 24 hr, tire service, etc. It lists stuff even on the little roads.

Regarding truck stops and gasoline. Few will have gasoline in the big truck islands. Some will have a pump or two with both gasoline and diesel. Many of the big chains (Flying J, Petro, TA, Pilot, Loves) will have an RV lane that has both but with room for a long combination to maneuver.

I never plan my stops further than the next one. Too many youngsters and I can't plan their needs for stops! So I make sure I fuel the TV when I stop for them.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LVJJJ ,I agree that thing is cool! How's the air bag work in there .lol

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

if I see a truck stop and my gauge is around the half way mark, I stop and fill up.

That is what we do ... 7 yrs ago almost got stuck in station of which I had told DH that the book "Next Exit" did not indicate that it was an "RV Friendly" fuel station.

Now DH fuels up only at truly large stations .. no, I do not drive (due to medical restriction) .. we will have to update our "Next Exit" book this year ..

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma, Grandpa, & Petunia, 9 yr old Chi
2008 Suburban / Alpenlite Travel Trailer

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cougarnewbie wrote:

My wife uses a book called Next exit. It lists the services at interstate exits by mile marker. It lists in red places that are considered R. V. friendly. When we get down to around 1/4 tank I tell her, she looks and can tell what's at the next exits. Works great on the interstates.

X2

I had posted previously before reading your post ... ditto only we do it between 1/4 and 1/2.

BourbonRam

Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the e-man wrote:

Great question. Here is what I have learned. Don't use regular gas stations if you can avoid it. For the first two years, we just stopped wherever and found ourselves getting frustrated waiting for cars who didn't understand that we couldn't move easily, having to turn too tight for the hitch, backing the trailer in awkward places, etc.

Now, we have the Flying J app on the phone. We try to do everything in one stop; fuel, lunch, and change drivers. We have fewer stops and spend less time at those stops. Not sure if Flying J is the best and I am open to other opinions. But, it sure is set up well for a truck + camper and has made our travels go more smoothly.

Most places we go have fuel stops placed frequently enough. If we are traveling long distances in rural areas, like Montana, I bring an extra 5 gallons just in case.

Downloaded the Flying J app after reading your post. Thanks, it looks like something I will use on my next trip.

2013 Crossroads Z1 ZT 291 RL
2012 Ram 2500, Black, CCSB, 6.7 Cummins Diesel, 4X4, Auto, 3.73, Stock, (his)
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7 V8 (hers)
General (white) & Jack (brown) (dogs)
Retired U.S. Army MSG
2012-21days
2013-16 days

md2lgyk

WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's an excellent publication called The Next Exit that identifies RV-friendly gas stations. It's only for interstates though.

"The great object is, that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." - Patrick Henry

Monaco Montclair

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The gas station s that have deseil fuel, are the one I use. What's more important knowing your length. It's your money. Wow good idea.ok now it's al happy-camping

HappyTrails2U2

Tennessee is home but being held hostage in GA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wing it and don't worry about it. If an awing looks a little low have your wife watch it while you ease up to it.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/13 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

LVJJJ ,I agree that thing is cool! How's the air bag work in there .lol

You mean the one riding shotgun?

1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6"
1985 WILDERNESS 3000CL
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Pulling into Gas Stations with 30 foot TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS