|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Guidance in buying an older Class A

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
royl

The USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/13 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fighterpilota wrote:

Looking for older Class A. $20,000 max. Years past I have owned a 1974 Winnie, Two travcos with 440 dodges, and a Winnie Elandan. Now want to get back into MH again. Want dinette, sofa and rear walk around bed. Ford chassis. Nothing longer than 34 feet. 28 to 30 preferred. I have searched this forum and found information overwhelming. Primary interest is in construction. Leaking roofs in particular. In the 1994 to 2004 model range which ones have the best construction and least apt to have had a leaking roof history. Some brands have fiberglass roofs which I suspect would be desirable. Don't know what they are but from reading on the forum her believe Winnies are one. Any others? I'm in the panhandle of Florida so am searching in a 400 mile radius and find lots of MH on RVtrader, but don't know how to evaluate build quality. Thanks for your guidance.

I have a good 98 Itasca Sunrise by Winnibago 35 foot and am now looking for a bus conversion. Mine will be for sale if I find what I am looking for. We are in Panacea South of Tallahassee now until April. PM me if you might want to see it.

Roy & Sabine
1 Spoiled Chihuahua Dog
1 Spoiled Cat
1998 Winnebago Itasca 35' Class A with Banks Powerpack

fighterpilota

Milton, fl

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/13 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appreciate the replys. Kind of information that will help me. Didn't realize the GM/Workhorse/Allison tx was a plus. I was trying to avoid the GM, since I had a couple of them in earlier years, but will consider a GM/ Workhorse/Allison a plus. In previous reading on theis forum also noted good things being said about Tiffin.
I have been told that the prices will start going as the Snowbirds head North since they can buy them in Fl. drive them home to Canada, sell them and make a profit. Can anyone confirm this?
Will avoid slides. Don't want to pay extra or face the prblems with slides that could arise such as leaks and mechanical malfunctions. Use will be for trips with short durations, with a number of folks, up to 6 to 8, and just two to four folks for hunting trips, escuseions to visit someplace of interest or such.

Looked at three today in the local area. Going to look at another one tomorrow. Narrowing the search, 28 to 32 feet, Queen bed in rear or twins, dinette and sofa, Again, thanks for the advice/comments. FP

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/13 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/3448402621.html

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/13 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are avoiding slides, you can trim your price a lot. However, it will be harder to find many no slides after 2000-2001; but there are some.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Canadian Rainbirds

Vancouver Island (Winter: Mainland Mexico)

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/13 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An older motorhome with low mileage may not necessarily be a such a good thing: Our first old rig, 1973 Triple E (upper level rig) had less than 40,000 miles on the odometer. However, it had been parked every summer about 50 miles from the owners home, on a Pacific Ocean Beach. His wife and kids spent the summers there while he commuted. The appliances, cupboards, steps, doors had seen many many days of use. Plus the salt air and salty winds. . . .

fighterpilota

Milton, fl

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/13 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Grandvilla Foretravel is a fine motorhome, but I'm not into diesels. We have two boats with the Cat 3208s in them which is a fine old engine--the 3116 not so good. But appreciate the thought.

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/13 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Canadian Rainbirds wrote:

An older motorhome with low mileage may not necessarily be a such a good thing: Our first old rig, 1973 Triple E (upper level rig) had less than 40,000 miles on the odometer. However, it had been parked every summer about 50 miles from the owners home, on a Pacific Ocean Beach. His wife and kids spent the summers there while he commuted. The appliances, cupboards, steps, doors had seen many many days of use. Plus the salt air and salty winds. . . .
Some additional complications of low mileage are that the coach never gets dried out. When the coach sits, condensation builds up in the walls and in the engine and trans. The condensation will cause rust if it never gets boiled out. Its hard on the drivetrain, but it is also hard on the electrical connections as well.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fleetwood Flairs were made up till 2006 and they were the lower priced good quality class A, my 2002 Flair has been a great coach, no leaks, no issues and it comes in both Ford and Workhorse chassis depending on the size, however $20,000 is a little low for around a 30 footer with slides.

Stay 2002 and newer and you will get a better chassis.

fighterpilota

Milton, fl

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like the newer vehicle but situation is such I have to try to get the "best value" I can within my budget, and again, I don't want slides. I won't buy one if it has a slide and is within my budget.

grzly03

Temecula

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think a "real" fighter pilot would want to live on the very edge, and challenge those slides not to malfunction, you get so much more room, especially in the salon area. My wife and I just purchased a 1998 Overland Lorado. It is bigger than you want, but we had the same concerns. We love it, with its very large front left slide. It's like most other mechanical things, if you have a good maintenance officer and crew, you'll log the same number of landings as take offs. Keep the Blue Side up! Grzly03

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Guidance in buying an older Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS