|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Boondocking around WY Wind Rivers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking about this summer and it's looking like Wyoming and Colorado as our targets for June and July. I'd like to do a couple weeks around the Wind Rivers. Access looks rather limited but the Shoshone and Bridger-Teton NF are on the west side and both have distributed camping. Anyone been there and have any suggestions?

I'm definitely going to make sure our fridge is working on propane before we head out, that was a show stopper last year.

We had a unique unpleasant incident on the east side with some Shoshone not wanting outsiders camping in a public campground. But that was many years ago, hopefully they've calmed down some since.

BK

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you talking about the Wind River around the Thermop area?

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Wind Rivers are west of there but yes, or any good spot(s) in that area. But not around Jackson/Yellowstone. We've been there a number of times.

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look @ the area around (above) in altitude of Lander. That is where the forest has dispersed camping as well as some campgrounds on BLM land close to Atlantic City, (an old gold mining town), you can find out more by putting either (Lander, Atlantic City)in the search bar. This is also the area where the Oregon Trail crossed the continental divide, lots of histery in the area. Plenty of Forest Service camp grounds & State Park camp ground also, fishing as well as more hiking trails than you can possibly cover. JMKO

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

Camorhino

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with Itchey Feet. South Pass City, about 30 miles s/w of Lander. Lots of dispersed camping and good trails and lakes in the area. You can drive north from the South Pass summit all the way to Lander on dirt roads and see the river disappear into the mountain, and come up on the other side of the highway 1/4 mile away. BIG trout in there! Lots of history of the Old West and wagon trails, mining towns, lodges and lakes, Popo Agee Wilderness. The dispersed camping was flat and treed, with plenty of sites and not crowded. Lander is a good sized town with all the amenities if you need something.

kgarrett9999

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not exactly the area you're asking about, but a couple of summers ago, I spent a week on the Greys River in the Bridger-Teton NF. Greys River road runs SSE out of Alpine for about 60 miles.

In addition to several NF campgrounds there are numerous places to boondock and several NF cabins. This was before I had purchased a TT, so I stayed at the Meadows Cabin. It was $40/night and had all the comforts of home but 30 miles from the nearest electric or telephone pole. Propane lights, refrigerator, heat, water heater, flush toilet and shower.

I drove through the mountains to the east while I was there. Numerous places along the way to boondock as well. BTW, numerous is actually an understatement. Virtually the whole 60 miles of Greys River road is open to boondocking as well as the various side roads that spider off of it.

I was there during mid-July. Very little traffic along the road. I probably didn't see more than a dozen or so vehicles on any given day. Of course I spent most of my time at about mile marker 30 and beyond. What I did see was deer, moose, elk, bald eagles, ferrets and lots of trout, trout, trout. Oh and grizzly tracks. Never saw an actual bear, but I did step on fresh tracks along the river. WARNING, this area has the largest grizzly population in the lower 48. Practice safe food storage.

I loved it so much that I'm returning this summer, but with my new TT this time.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great, I was looking at the Lander/Pinedale areas on the map. We did a lot of 4WD roads last summer but in Red Rock country around Escalante and Torrey. So we are looking forward to mountains this year. Ones with green stuff on them....heh.

To tell about our Shoshone adventure, years ago (probably early 90's) we ended up at Ft Washakie looking for a road up to a park in the mountains. Everyone we asked denied ever hearing about the park or knowing anything about a road going that way--west. Finally a women in a pickup flagged us down (local ranch wife) and asked us what we were looking for, I told her and she said yeah that's --and gave us simple directions. And said there was some sort of flap between the tribal government and some authorities...the federal government I guess.

And so they were not being helpful to outsiders. We headed up into the mountains and met very unfriendly pickups full of young locals who swerved in front of us and threw stuff out the windows in our general direction. This was on one of those typical switchback mountain dirt roads with a big drop on one side. So it was a bit nerve racking.

We finally got to the park and started dragging our camping gear out of the Tercel we were driving (pre RV days) when the sky opened up and dropped about 3 or 4 inches of snow in short order. My wife and brother in law weren't ready for that kind of camping so we didn't even get to stay there after all them trouble...heh.

So it's been on my camping list for a long time.

tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use to live in Pinedale and that's where I'd go,lot's of access to the winds,Cora road up to Green River Lakes,Boulder Lake road,Skyline Rd right in town and camp at Freemont lake, the list goes on & on.Great fishing in the winds if that's your thing.

• 2001 GMC Durmax
  • 2006 Wells Cargo
  • 1986 Honda CT110 Trail
  • 75' Honda CT90 1995 8'6" Lance Lite
26'Nomad 5th wheel

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/13 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with itchey feet. Take in the whole area including South Pass.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Boondocking around WY Wind Rivers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS