|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Large fiberglass cracks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mainemike78

maine

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was hopibg someone could help me I have a 2009 Jayco jay feather 198 when we bought it brand new in 2009 i developed a large crack in the fiberglass panel my local jayco along with jayco replaced the whole side of camper. thought that was end of it but know i have two large cracks both starting from where the stove vent was cut, Iam am concerned as the appear to be very deep. and jayco has pretty much said sorry not our problem. so my question is where do i even try to find someone to reapir this thanks for any response

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any one that csan work with fiberglass. A boat dealer that does repairs is a good start or an RV dealer that does repairs. I would keep trying with Jayco as it may be a structural fault. JMO.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Google search shows me there are a couple of Jayco owners forums. If you can't get info here then maybe on one of those forums the posters have specific information for your model. Maybe there is a known structural issue that is easily remedied.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fiberglass is easy to repair but will need painted. My concern is the underlying cause of the cracking. It appears to me that you have some structural flexing that needs repaired/stiffened or cracking will continue.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could try a local RV Service Dept., a boatbuilder, or even some custom car builders who work with glass. I think beemerphile1 has hit on the cause of your problem, there is something that is causing the panel to be moved for cracks to appear. A quick stop-gap measure may be to drill a small hole at the leading edges of the cracks, that tends to dissipate stress away from the crack's normal shearing attitude. The small hole can be filled with a simple sealant until repairs can be done. Good luck with the Jayco,

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mainemike78

maine

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Drilled a small hole at the end of crack when it was small but it continued on right through that which makes me belive you goes are correct about it being a strutural issue and why it keeps cracking makes me nervous.there may be underlying issues.

mainemike78

maine

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I finally heard back from Jayco in ref to this they state that they will cover parts and freight under their goodwill-1 program. With that said it involves taking the whole cracked side off and replacing with new and i would have to cover the labor which iam guessing is a couple thousand dollars. I'm going to call my local dealer adn see what they say in ref to a ball park estimate. and when i asked Jayco about possible structural integrity issues they said there were none known and that it was just a bad fiberglass panel.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With respect to "structural integrity" I think somebody is playing word games.

On a Jayfeather, that whole side wall is a structural member, together with the roof and floor it helps carry bending loads, stiffens the whole structure that sits atop the frame, and to some extent stiffens the frame. In some cases, these outer walls carry cabinets and attach to interior walls, so the wall is something more than a piece that just makes up the side of a box.

Cracks around an opening could be caused by this load. If this is the only opening with cracks, however, I doubt that the wall is overstressed. I think it more likely that particular opening was cut with too sharp a corner, or possibly even a notch that wasn't supposed to be there, as if someone went a fraction of an inch too far with a saber saw.

More often I see these openings, especially windows, cut with a router, leaving corners with a slight radius so stress is not concentrated in the corner. Some manufacturers are doing this work with computer controlled routers (and sometimes laser cuts) to minimize cutting errors. I don't think Jayco is there yet.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about the 2009's but Jayco is using jigged CNC routers to do the openings now.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Dtaylor

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look underneath your TT at the frame. Look at every inch and include the cross members. You want to first look at the joints for weld breaks. If there are any they should be easy to spot. Look for rust where the joints are rubbing and moving. Areas of flex should be easy to find as well. Look for rust areas along the long areas between bracing. If the cracks have all been on one side, start there

Our Travel Blog

2012 Wilderness 2750RL
2006 Ford Expedition

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Large fiberglass cracks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts