|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> I80 Iowa / Nebraska & overnighting

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rbtglove

Beavercreek OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/13 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

try http://www.freecampgrounds.com/ many of the towns fairly close to the freeway in that region have cheap or free campgrounds some even with electric and water. Course they would like you to spend some at their stores but not a requirement.

Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

travel4family

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/13 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone - I feel much better about this now that I know it's not likely to be only us parked there!

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we traveled that route a couple of years ago we found state and local parks along the way in both states that were inexpensive, quiet, had hookups, and not too far off of I80. We traveled from Denver to Chicago and camped two nights each way. For us it was a better choice then a parking lot. Each state's web site will have listings and I believe that there are books available on this subject.

Husker Jerry

O'Neill, Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In reference to RAS43's post, state parks along I80 in central Nebraska that come to mind are Mormon Island near Grand Island, Windmill between Grand Island & Kearney, & Ft. Kearny near Kearney, Nebraska. Reasonable rates & IMO much more pleasant than a concrete parking lot.

2001 Ford Excursion V 10
2003 Jayco Designer 31FKS
Twin Honda Eu2000 gen sets

JimFromJersey

Southern New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/13 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our trip out west this summer, due to some very loud diesel idling at an Iowa rest stop along I-80 just west of Des Moines, we ended up getting back on the road and heading to Atlantic, Iowa, the nearest Walmart. It's about 5 or 6 miles off the interstate, but easy enough to find - we did it in the pitch dark, of course. About half an hour after we parked on the edge of the lot, at about 12:30AM, some kids who didn't have anything else better to do decided to park about 10 feet away and came up and banged on the side of the RV. Scared the hell out of the DW, the three of us jumped out and rained all sorts of hell on the kids. A cop patrolling the lot came over to see what was all the fuss, and told us that he'd be sure to tell their parents. Small town hi-jinks..

No big deal, just another interesting Saturday night in Atlantic, Iowa.. When we woke Sunday morning around 8AM there were already half a dozen cars parked right next to us, out in the very edge of the lot. I thought it was odd. 10 acres of lot, and they gotta park right next to a sleeping RV...

* This post was last edited 01/30/13 01:43pm by JimFromJersey *   View edit history

Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

answerswillvary

eastern washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/13 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Roads and Routes.

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

C Schomer

Buckeye, Az.

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/13 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old territory! There's a very nice private CG on the north side at one of the Amana colony exits. A guy turned his farm into a CG and it's really green and big trees, in the summer. You should find it with a search. The Colonies is also a great tour! Ne. has really nice SP's! Mahoney SP near Ashland Ne. is fabulous! Pioneer Village is near Kearney Ne. and they have primo camping. Pioneer Village is actually a pioneer museum and it's top notch as far as early American articles. They have a lot of one-of-a-kind stuff, from cars to guns to jets to farm equipment. I thinks it's a must-see. I've never stayed at Lake McConauhy at Ogalalla Ne. but it's on my bucket list. Boaters from as far away as Denver swarm that place in the summer.Craig

Tumbleweeds

Southeast AL

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/13 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My home town of Aurora, 30 miles or so east of Grand Island has a VERY nice campground in Streeters Park. Entrance 1/2 mile west of Hiway 34 and 14 intersection , which is 3 miles north of the interstate. They ask for a donation, have electric, best water in the country, and a dump. Next to the city pool, playgrounds and ball fields. Please donate at these type parks to keep them open.
It seems above the Mason Dixon line lots of towns have them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> I80 Iowa / Nebraska & overnighting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS