RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: When is it time to repack bearings?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> When is it time to repack bearings?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
dieselenthusiast

Zuni Mountains, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, so you guys/girls are going to give me some heat for this, but I’ll be truthful. We bought a 2008 Jayco Sport 199 brand new in October 2008. Long story short, I have never greased the bearings. And what’s more embarrassing, I have the E-Z Lube Axles. Anyway, I’m guessing that I have approximately 5,000 miles on the trailer. We were attending grad school at the time, so the trailer didn’t get a lot of miles on it. So here’s my question, should I just lube the bearings or should I get my bearings repacked?

2008 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 199
2006 Dodge Cummins

ronniedean1234

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I repack my bearings every year needed or not. Wheel bearing can and will draw moisture so I like to get a visuel on what is going on inside the hub. Going to Arizona every year since 95 either pulling a horse trailer of 5ver, never had a problem but I have seen several sitting along side of the road with ruined bearings or spindals, just my 2 cents worth............

2012 Montana 3800RE/Level Up/Slide Toppers/MoRyde Hitch
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped

btd35

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use your trailer a lot, then check the brakes every year, AND you can pack them then. I do both my boat trailer and fifthwheel.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.

dieselenthusiast

Zuni Mountains, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/13 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. It appears that the general consensus is to go ahead and have the bearings repacked and perhaps have the brakes checked while I’m at it. Like mentioned above, I’d rather play it safe than being stranded on the side of the road calling AAA.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieselenthusiast wrote:

Thanks for the replies. It appears that the general consensus is to go ahead and have the bearings repacked and perhaps have the brakes checked while I’m at it. Like mentioned above, I’d rather play it safe than being stranded on the side of the road calling AAA.
Absolutely, and the repercussions from lack of maintenance may be more than just waiting for AAA. Think about what will happen when a bearing race welds itself to an axle spindle, in the Salt Flats, at night, on a holiday weekend. You may be spending many happy days waiting for an axle.
Another thing I've seen with the Easy-lube type spindles are that the grease channels tend to get clogged after time. If you're using a system that has drilled spindles, it would be wise to flush them out while servicing the axles.

* This post was edited 01/15/13 04:00am by westend *

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

spike99

North America

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/13 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surf chart at - click here -

For all my trailers (utility, boat, TT, etc.)..... In the spring, I always remove each wheel hub, perform brake inspections (replace needed items), re-pack wheel bearings with fresh grease (use boat wheel bearing grease - even on dry land trailers) and do indepth inspecitons on all wiring as well. I do inspections / grease re-fresh in in the spring (to remove natural rust from winter sitting months) or when needed (based on miles above drill down chart), as well.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In your case you need to see what the brakes look like so a total re-pack is appropriate, anyway. I'm not with the yearly crowd and inspect and re-pack every two years unless I've gone over 12k miles, which would be unusual.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/13 02:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use a competent shop and let us know what they find. Botched bearing jobs can happen. Good luck.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Wills250psd

walnutcove NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/13 04:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dexter recomends 12 months or 12 thousand miles on their web site.

shenandoahvalley

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/13 05:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have mine done every year at state inspection time...however, after 20,000+ miles of towing over six years, the bearings have never really NEEDED repacking. As I tend to be a little anal over these things I still have them checked and a little grease added annually.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> When is it time to repack bearings?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS