RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: When is it time to repack bearings?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> When is it time to repack bearings?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BUFFALODAN

Buffalo NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The service manager at the dealer I have used for 12 years told me every other year. The trailer gets NYS inspected every year, bearings repacked every other. Works for me.

2006 KZ Frontier 2505
2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
2014 Chevy Silverado Double Cab 4WD
1 DW
3DD's

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mosseater wrote:

I didn't see anyone from PA reply, and I don't know if any other states require this, but here they pull two axles at yearly inspection. It didn't take long to figure out, even if they're competent and careful, the likelyhood of ruined seals or contamination is more likely the more often you mess with them. I spent quite a bit of time, money and care to get my bearings and brakes nice and purdy, and I hate it every year when they mess with them, so I've decided to at least re-do the two they pull every year and keep track of which ones they do year to year in case they never pull the other two. Just makes sense to me to be confident in smoothe sailing.

The pull 2 of your axels apart during a yearly inspection? They have a yearly inspection? Wow. I've never heard of anything like that in the midwest.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

mosseater wrote:

I didn't see anyone from PA reply, and I don't know if any other states require this, but here they pull two axles at yearly inspection. It didn't take long to figure out, even if they're competent and careful, the likelyhood of ruined seals or contamination is more likely the more often you mess with them. I spent quite a bit of time, money and care to get my bearings and brakes nice and purdy, and I hate it every year when they mess with them, so I've decided to at least re-do the two they pull every year and keep track of which ones they do year to year in case they never pull the other two. Just makes sense to me to be confident in smoothe sailing.

The pull 2 of your axels apart during a yearly inspection? They have a yearly inspection? Wow. I've never heard of anything like that in the midwest.

I had so many bad experiences with PA state inspections that I refuse to have it done anymore. I would rather pay the fines.

BourbonRam

Kentucky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spike99 wrote:

Good read within - Click Here -

Focus on its Lubrication text at bottom of page 7.

Document is well worth reading and following...

Found the info on pages 10 & 11 interesting. Has anyone tried this method to determine tongue weight?

2013 Crossroads Z1 ZT 291 RL
2012 Ram 2500, Black, CCSB, 6.7 Cummins Diesel, 4X4, Auto, 3.73, Stock, (his)
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7 V8 (hers)
General (white) & Jack (brown) (dogs)
Retired U.S. Army MSG
2012-21days
2013-16 days

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BourbonRam wrote:

spike99 wrote:

Good read within - Click Here -

Focus on its Lubrication text at bottom of page 7.

Document is well worth reading and following...

Found the info on pages 10 & 11 interesting. Has anyone tried this method to determine tongue weight?

Yes, it works fine.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

mikefos

Austin, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieselenthusiast wrote:

Is there a way that I can check my RV to find out what axle I have? I want to buy Timken replacement bearings for my Dexter axle; however, my owner’s manual doesn’t specify what I need for replacement hub bearings. Dexter makes 2K, 2.8K, and 3.5K, etc axles capacities, but I don’t know what mine is. Any thoughts or do I need to call Jayco?

Call Dexter w/ your axle number. It is stamped on the tube. 9 digits I think. They will send you a whole spec sheet for your particular axle. Part numbers and sizes for bearings, hubs spindles, brakes, etc. I just got one for mine a couple of days ago.

Mike

Mike, Kim, and Pepper (Min Pin security)
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

daveyboy12

CHICAGO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I typically repack mine every 6 mths.

dieselenthusiast

Zuni Mountains, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I "inspect" about every 7 years. Why 7 years? Because after owning over 7 trailers in my life I have learned that "my" trailers need "inspecting" after 7 years at about 5K a year average.

Even then I don't always pack them. In fact, most of the time I don't. The magnets most of the time need redoing after this time but the lining is usually in good shape and so are the bearings. I adjust up the brakes and call it good for another 7 years.

I think Turtle n Peeps might be on to something. It's not that I can't afford $200 dollars to have the bearings repacked, but I also don't want to throw away money when it's not needed. I'm going to put a little Amsoil GLC grease in the E-Z lube and monitor with a thermal gun.

2008 Jayco Jay Feather Sport 199
2006 Dodge Cummins

dieselenthusiast

Zuni Mountains, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikefos wrote:

Call Dexter w/ your axle number. It is stamped on the tube. 9 digits I think. They will send you a whole spec sheet for your particular axle. Part numbers and sizes for bearings, hubs spindles, brakes, etc. I just got one for mine a couple of days ago.

Mike, I appreciate the info; however, I didn't make myself clear in a previous post which is my fault. Jayco has already provided me with the Axle and Brake Information including Jayco Part Numbers and Vender Part Numbers. The Jayco Tech suggested that I call Dexter and have them cross reference for the Timken bearings.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I repack every 2-3 years. the last time I did it was oct 2011, before our trip to Disney in Nov. in reality you need to repack more often if the trailer sits for long stretches and the grease gets condensation or if you put alot of miles on it in one year (at least 10k miles). I put approx. 3-5k miles on our trailer a year. and it gets used approx. every 3 weeks until winter storage. I will probably repack them at the end of this year.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next