|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Brand spankin' newbie Rochester, NY

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/13 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome! Another Rochestarian here....

Our inaugural first season trip is to the Allegheny National Forest, just over the Pa line from Allegheny SP. There are a number of campgrounds either "dry " (no hookups) to full hookups.
Watkins Glen is nice. I've heard Letchworth SP is good but we haven't stayed there in years.
Locally there's Webster Park, IIRR it's Monroe County that runs the cg there.
But in NY our favorite area is the Adirondacks. We canoe, so Cranberry Lake, Rollins Pond, (both DEC) and North Pole Resorts (private) are our preferences.

2013 North Trail 21FBS
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") scab
Just DW & me......

camperkelly

NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow it is a small world! 2 Rochestarians and a previous Batavian. Thanks all for the warm welcomes and great advice. Yes Larry, the winds get crazy on the lake, I am on the southern shore of Lake Ontario and those winds can come out of nowhere!

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Allegany National Forest offers fine camping and beautiful country. While I've not been to Allegany SP, I've boondocked in the forest and spent a few nights in a private park east of Sheffield, Pa. off Hwy 6.

On your trip to the Smokies, Coopers Rock SP, 13 miles east of I-79 and Morgantown, WV off I-68 would be about 1/2 way and would be a good choice, great scenery and reasonable price.

RVn Full-time

camperkelly

NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eycom wrote:

The Allegany National Forest offers fine camping and beautiful country. While I've not been to Allegany SP, I've boondocked in the forest and spent a few nights in a private park east of Sheffield, Pa. off Hwy 6.

On your trip to the Smokies, Coopers Rock SP, 13 miles east of I-79 and Morgantown, WV off I-68 would be about 1/2 way and would be a good choice, great scenery and reasonable price.

Thank you!!!

Kampinkate

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome, CamperKelly! Yet another Rochesterian here, also awaiting spring. We have been to Association Island and really liked it. We will definately go back. I'd also recommend checking out Keuka lake state park and Sampson state park. We are lucky to have many great places nearby. Have fun and happy camping!

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/13 11:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allegany State Park (and the surrounding area) is a fantastic place to visit. But lousy for camping. Red House area has its endless wild parties (always has) and Quarker area is nothing to brag about. Hate to tell you that stuff cause I grew up just outside the park and love it there. The state park campgrounds in Mississippi are much nicer!!! Yep, I said Mississippi. I would rather camp in Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, and Florida state parks than at Allegany. But I do like Letchworth State Park, Golden Hills State Park, Wellesley Island State Park, Evangola State Park, and Watkins Glen State Park. I use to brag about Allegany before I started camping! Even know lots of people who work there or did work there. The NY State Parks Commission could make it a wonderful camping destination if they wanted to! Allegany State Park is a wonderful state park, probably one of the best in NYS, but it just doesn't make the grade when it comes to camping.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Draggo

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another Rochestarian with a vote for Association Island. I grew up going to a relative's cottage in Henderson harbor and always loved the area. The campground truly is an island with a small causeway to get to it. Depending on where you are on the island you almost feel like your way out in the middle of the lake. But like a previous poster said, bring your awning in at night, it can get pretty window.

Mike & Company
2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab (5.3L V-8, 3.42 rear gear)
2008 KZ Spree 318BHS
Reese W/D & HP DC, Prodigy brake controller

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, too, recommend Ft. Chiswell. Its about half way between my home in Cincinnati and Colonial Williamsburg, which I visit often. Its less than a mile south of exit 80 on I-81/I-77, but on the other side of a small hill, so no expressway noise.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

az99

Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With where you live, you have some of the best camping anywhere only hours away in the Adirondacks. If you take children, the Old Forge area has a lot to do.

If you like the distance to about Fort Chiswell for a stop, there are 2 Flying J stations there with big lots for overnight. Just in case you were looking for more of a gas and go stop.

HydrogenCyanide

Fort Erie

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love Allegany State Park. I am from Southern Ontario and make it there at least twice per year. Never had any problems with parties and a great place for hiking. They just rewired all of Quaker and a large portion of red house this winter as well.

If you have young kids, (we do), Jellystone Park of wny is a very nice place. I am not sure of the exact town name but about 30 minutes south of buffalo?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Brand spankin' newbie Rochester, NY
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS