RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Small 2-4 Person Boat?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Small 2-4 Person Boat?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/13 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

We gave our Boat and Trailer and Motor to or son. To much trouble, when you also tow a Toad with you always.

We went with the Inflatable "SEA EAGEL #330" about ten years ago. Great for Fishiong or just paddling around the lake or doing some river running. It only weights in at 25 lbs, and that is everything included, Paddles also.

Everything stores in it own carrying bag. It stores very easy and is easy to keep clean. Not so much as one tiney hole in ours in all of these years.

Its very fast to Air it up, or to deflate it and put it back aways.

We would go with a "SEA EAGLE", Inflatable Kayak again in a heart beat. Ours still looks as good as the day we bought it, We have had many many enjoyable hours with our SEA EAGLE, and have also had a lot of Fish Dinners too.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fish-a-Palooza wrote:

Can't say enough good things about the Porta-bote. Just be careful with how big you go. 10ft was plenty big enough for 2 people and weighted about 70lbs which can be handled by one fairly strong person. The 12ft is too heavy IMHO. If I were to get another one I would go 8ft. Easy for one person to handle and still big enough for 2.

I have a 14' Porta Bote . Weighs 96# I can carry it by myself. I upgraded from a 10' model. The 14' is noticeably more stable. It can also carry more weight and handle a larger motor. a 14' actually has the proper payload to carry 2 people,gear and motor.
I agree depending on what your plans are the 8' is easier to handle and may fit the bill quite well. Regardless of size a Porta Bote is a great boat to have while camping. Very durable, easy to set up (no air or trailer required). It will get you off the rock and into the water!

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/13 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on the Porta-bote. Indestructible, easy to row and unsinkable. Get the largest size; not much more expensive but more cargo capacity.
Stay away from the blow-ups that will rip when you get near a rock or sharp stick.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much does a porta-bote run?

MPI_Mallard

McGregor Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/13 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My solution was a 12' Achillies S@R edition FIB inflatable with a 9.9HP Tohatsu,,,,with a twist,,i built flip-up-wheelsthat allows me to hand tow it to the ramp by myself,the inflatable stows perfectly in the front loading bay and the engine stows in the mid storage bay,it inflates in minutes and is great for fishingAll in all,it's a system and it works!!!

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robsouth wrote:

Port-A-Boat

X-2

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/13 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cm11599ps wrote:

How much does a porta-bote run?

range from $1,200 to $1,600. But you can find them used.

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/13 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

X2 on the Porta-bote. Indestructible, easy to row and unsinkable. Get the largest size; not much more expensive but more cargo capacity.
Stay away from the blow-ups that will rip when you get near a rock or sharp stick.

Dick, the material used in the Sea Eagle line is not the material used in cheap air mattresses. I've been using mine for almost 30 years, through rapids, sharp rocks and sharp fishing gear and have Never had a puncture or leak. If the opportunity presents itself, take another look at the SeaEagle line of products.

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

rondeb

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/13 12:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

robsouth wrote:

Port-A-Boat

X2 we had one sold it this past summer, but what a great little boat and it will hook right to the side of your RV

HJGyswyt

Buckley Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/13 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I like all the replies and all the good experieinces people have had with their boats, one little one not mentioned is the Walker Bay, but this is only if you have the means to haul a car topper boat.

Our family has been well served with a ten foot aluminum boat for many years, though admittedly it requires two healthy people to put on top of our Suburban.

My folks had a Porto-Boat but I didn't want it when my dad passed. The seats alone took up way to much room when they weren't in the boat. And I never liked the way the boat bottom flexed under my feet when we were out in the open water. But it was a rugged boat and I find no fault with construction or durability. I did not like setting it up though.

There is a lot to be said for inflatables these days. My wife and I also canoe a small river in British Columbia every summer and we borrow a Coleman Canoe that is almost indestructible, because we sure punish it going through white water and the rocks. We've also rented kayaks, what a blast those are as well. Anyway, hope you find the water craft that suits you.

Our trusty simple 10' aluminum boat that has floated four of us at a time (with very little free board) for many years pictured below.

All the best, Hans

2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Small 2-4 Person Boat?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: