Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Cummins 230 hp?

Posted By: royl on 01/17/13 09:30pm

I am going tomorrow to look at a 95 Gulfstream 34 foot with a 230 hp cummins and the Allison 6 speed trans. Can anyone tell me if this is enough engine for the coach. I now have a 98 Itasca 35 foot with the F53 chassis with the 460. Would this be an improvement as far as hill climbing ability and fuel mileage? I am very limited on funds and this one is priced in my range. I am full timing so I have to buy a replacement before selling mine.

Roy & Sabine
1 Spoiled Chihuahua Dog
1 Spoiled Cat
1998 Winnebago Itasca 35' Class A with Banks Powerpack

Posted By: J Walker on 01/17/13 09:48pm

It is probably enough power. I have a 260 HP ISB and it is fine on my DP. Weight is important and I have about 26,000 lbs combined weight including the car I tow. Even with 230 HP the torque is probably close to my 260. The silver lining of less HP is more MPG. Check the weight of the Gulfstream.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

Posted By: royl on 01/17/13 09:50pm

J Walker wrote:

It is probably enough power. I have a 260 HP ISB and it is fine on my DP. Weight is important and I have about 26,000 lbs combined weight including the car I tow. Even with 230 HP the torque is probably close to my 260. The silver lining of less HP is more MPG. Check the weight of the Gulfstream.

Ok, thanks. I will check the weight when I go see it in person.

Posted By: Gadget Guy on 01/17/13 09:58pm

I had that 230 HP in my 2003 Knight 34 FT MH and it was good. I pulled a Tacoma doublecab truck with a 2 up 4 wheeler in the back of the truck and also my motorcycle on the motorhome.

Posted By: Yaj on 01/17/13 10:41pm

Hi Roy!
We have a 230 in ours and it's enough to do the job! We've been well over 10,000 ft (no trailer or toad that time), through many mountains and all around the country. That said it's no speed demon but still makes it to the top, Coming down I am probably overly careful but I feel there isn't as much engine braking even with the exhaust brake on as I would like, so I just go down slow.

The one thing I would check and/or fix right away is the "Killer Dowel Pin" found on that engine. There are 4 possible scenarios with it. #1 and most common is the pin doesn't move or moves very little, nothing bad happens. #2 the pin falls out and goes to the bottom of the oil pan, and again nothing bad happens. #3 the pin falls out hits the valve train gears and gets punched out the side of the front cover, oil loss and you have to replace the front (DP rear) engine cover. #4 the pin falls out and jams the valve gear train, new engine time as the pistons keep moving but the valves stop and things inside quit playing together nicely, major engine damage.

Its a alignment pin for the front cover that Cummins drilled the hole through the cover allowing the pin to work it's way out of the hole (they should have not drilled the final size all the way through, they should have left a step at the end). The actual fix is easy, put a metal tab over the hole (there is a after market kit for this consisting of a metal tab, a longer bolt, a gasket and a new front seal). The problem is getting to the front of the engine in a rear radiator DP.

I had to replace our radiator so I fixed the pin at the same time. Our MH had about 60,000 miles on it and the pin was at least half way out at that time.
I think it could be done from the side, but that would make it much more difficult to get to. (It's not a fun job no matter how you look at it).

Cummins still dosen't admit to the problem as it hasn't happened much compaired to the number of engines out there, but Google "5.9 Killer Dowl Pin" and you'll learn all about it.

Our MH is 37ft and I get 8-12 mpg, pulling our boat or lightly loaded, respectively.

We've got 90,000 on ours now. I also had to replace the head(crack at the #1 cylinder exhaust port), exhaust manifold (blown gasket erosion) and turbocharger(leak where the exhaust housing mates to the center cartridge. Running great now!

1996 HR Endeavor LE,Cummins 5.9 230hp, Allison 3060,
Front-Yamaha Enduro, Rear-Honda Helix Geeser Cruiser, 2 bikes,
22ft 1977 Cruiser in tow.
1 DW, 2 kids.
1 old dog, 1 fat cat.
I wasn't thinking this far ahead!

Posted By: path1 on 01/18/13 02:39am

They are also weak in the lift pump. Easy fix with a "FASS" pump. They go many, many miles and 500,000 miles is not unusual. That is one reason why I got one in a 2001. Refuse to get a newer one. Before I retired they used get beat to a pulb at work and they would keep on going. Killer dowel pin is a easy fix, but takes time. And probally already fixed by know. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TST_DOWEL_PIN.pdf

See above for kdp and see http://www.turbodieselregister.com

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

Posted By: Two Jayhawks on 01/18/13 07:39am

I had a 230 HP Cummins in my 95 Bounder and it was more than enough. I want to say the torque was over 600. The coach weight was probably 22K plus toad and we absolutely did cross the Rockies. No problem and it sometimes returned 10-11 mpg. Great engine. Note, I doubt I would be raving had it been mated to the five or four speed Allison.

2002 Safari Zanzibar
CAT C12 455/1550
Allison 4000
Saturn Vue w/ReadyBrake
FMCA# 390819

Posted By: J Walker on 01/18/13 08:16am

A comment on the killer dowel pin. In many threads on the topic it has always turned out that the cover used in MH applications does not allow the dowel pin to travel far enough to come out. The pickup application is another story.
To answer another post, I have a five speed transmission with my 260 HP engine and it work fine.

Posted By: Desertcat921 on 01/18/13 12:20pm

I had a 96 Allegro 32' with that engine and I felt it waws underpowered when towingand loaded for serious camping. All the power comes from the tubo boost and sometimes takes a bit to get up and rolling with such a little engine.

1988 MCI Widebody 40' Coach Conversion, 8V92TA Silver w/ Allison 740
Auto Transmission. 480 Watts Solar, Hughes Satellite Internet W/ Motosat Datastorm, Dish TV. One Cat named Monkey..

Posted By: royl on 01/18/13 01:56pm

Well bummed out, it was junk. Delamination,body damage and rust. Oh well maybe next time.

Posted By: royl on 01/18/13 07:30am

Thanks for the replies. Yes I know about the KDP as my last truck was a 5.9 Cummins. I did it and a few for friends. I am going to look at it this morning to see the condition of the rest of the coach and see if the layout will work for us. Looks like it will be ok as far as power so it just depends on the condition. It is a 34 foot Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser 1995 model year. He is asking 17,500. I figure about 15,000. Wish me luck.

Posted By: sjholt on 01/18/13 10:09am

""The cover on mine would have allowed the dowel pin to come out, there was nothing to stop it. Plenty of room for it to continue.""

The same on mine!

Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Posted By: zmotorsports on 01/18/13 01:43pm

One of the guys we go to the dunes with has the exact coach you are looking at, a 1995 (or 1996) Gulfstream SunCruiser with the 230hp Cummins. He tows a 28' TPD enclosed trailer and it does well on flat road but it does slow a bit more than others on the grades. Luckily the coach itself is one of the lighter ones and his trailer is actually fairly light, at least compared to ours. He doesn't have the trailer stuffed either, there is some breathing room.

He has only owned it for a few years now but as far as I know he has not had any major issues. There were a few minor ones when he first bought it mainly due to lack of preventive maintenance.

Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

Posted By: Yaj on 01/18/13 09:03am

J Walker wrote:

A comment on the killer dowel pin. In many threads on the topic it has always turned out that the cover used in MH applications does not allow the dowel pin to travel far enough to come out. The pickup application is another story.
To answer another post, I have a five speed transmission with my 260 HP engine and it work fine.

The cover on mine would have allowed the dowl pin to come out, there was nothing to stop it. Plenty of room for it to contiune.

Posted By: Johnny G1 on 01/18/13 03:15pm

Lots of power, and yes the dowel pin can come out but doubt if it will ever happen, only a few motor's were affected. Pinned mine when I fix an oil leak.

1998 34' Newmar Mountain Aire,210 Cummins Puller, 542 Allison 4 speed, BD Performance Exhaust Brake, BD Torque Convertor, Hendrickson Air suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes. 4-120 Watt 2-80 Watt Kyocera panels 8-T105s 2013 Golf Wagon TDI with tow dolly

Posted By: Jay58 on 01/18/13 06:58pm

The first owner of mine, at 13,507 miles experienced this and a new motor was installed under warranty. Now I got the coach in 2005 and have no issues with the engine except algae in the fuel.

1996 HR Endeavor 37.5
230 Cumins, 6 spd. Allison
2009 Saturn Vue
Towmaster dolly
Central Florida (East Coast)

Print  |  Close