|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cigarette Lighter Recepticles Not Working

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An inverter produces 120V AC. You're looking for a 12V DC problem. You need to find the fuse and it could be either a house battery or chassis battery fuse. Hopefully someone can help you find the fuse. Once found if your new DVM indicates 12V on the load side of the fuse then you have a wiring issue which could be either the hot wire or the ground wire.

Do you have any manuals, stickers, etc related to fuses and what they protect?

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW I would not focus on 1 vs 2 plugs. When you find the problem see if if fixes both plugs or not.

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/13 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

BTW I would not focus on 1 vs 2 plugs. When you find the problem see if if fixes both plugs or not.

I don't have any manuals on the fuses, etc, I wish I did although I'm not sure I could understand them. I agree that I have a single problem but I can't for the life of me figure out how they are the same.

Dennis Osha

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dgo1369 wrote:

1995brave wrote:

Is this in a car, truck, Class A, B, or C and what model.

I don't understand what possible difference this makes so it will be another in the steps to educate me. FWIW, I have a Class A, Itasca Suncruiser.

Now i can help.

Goto this link to download the wiring diagrams for your Winnebago.

The more information you give us to begin with, the quicker we can help you find your problem.

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

dgo1369 wrote:

1995brave wrote:

Is this in a car, truck, Class A, B, or C and what model.

I don't understand what possible difference this makes so it will be another in the steps to educate me. FWIW, I have a Class A, Itasca Suncruiser.

Now i can help.

Goto this link to download the wiring diagrams for your Winnebago.

The more information you give us to begin with, the quicker we can help you find your problem.

Thanks very much for the link. I've downloaded the one pertaining to mine and will try to make heads or tails of it tonight after I stop.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent a few days trying to figure out what was wrong with my wife's Honda CRV lighter. Once you know that the fuses are good I would set your meter to 20v DC, remove the fuse put the + red lead into the fuse circuit and the - black lead to a good chassis ground and see if you have 12+volts there. If you do the wiring to the fuse is good. Replace the fuse check the center pin of the lighter to a known chassis ground. If you have 12+ volts there you have a bad plug ground. The wire may have slipped of the terminal or some times these outlets have a thermal fused wire on the back of the outlet. Let us know what you get.

rwagner43

Fountain Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some 12 V plugs have a fuse built into the plug. You access it by unscrewing the plug. The fuse is beteen the tip of the plug and a spring inside the plug.

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I talked with a service person this morning and he feels positively that it is the 5a fuse that is located at the front of the inverter box, next to the GFCI (by the TV antenna controls above the passenger seat) that has gone bad. The problem is, unlike every other fuse I've seen, you can't simply push in and twist this one out. It appears to be held in place by something and is located INSIDE the black metal box of the inverter. In other words, hard for a layperson to get to. Is there a secret to removing this type of fuse without getting into the inverter box?

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the make/model number? Seems strange that an inverter would contain DC distribution unless they are combined. Did you mean charger/converter by any chance?

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

What is the make/model number? Seems strange that an inverter would contain DC distribution unless they are combined. Did you mean charger/converter by any chance?

Hmmm, told you I was electronically challenged. The fuse is labeled "output breaker" and is located on the same panel as the GFCI, low battery indicator, and the inverter on/off switch. I don't see any identifying model or brand other than Dimensions.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Cigarette Lighter Recepticles Not Working
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS