RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Surge protector, Voltage regulator who comes first?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Surge protector, Voltage regulator who comes first?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GULFSTREAMER37

WATERBURY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CT_WANDERER wrote:

You can not have it both ways. You either go with the power booster and hope you don't get a spike to kill it, then have the PI unit to protect the RV. Or you go with the PI which will shut down you RV power if there is a power condition problem. And if you have the booster after the PI, it will not do you any good because the PI will drop you out if the voltage is low before the booster and push-it back up. I have the PI only and it is installed after my transfer swith. JMHO Gary

No So, another member found this for me and posted it in IRV2

Using the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator in conjunction with a Surge Guard® RV power protection product provides the ultimate combination of low voltage and Surge Guard protection. The Surge Guard must be plugged in after or down stream of the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator. A variety of Surge Guard products protect your RV from: High/LowVoltage, Open Neutral, Miswired Pedestals, and Surges

2007 GULFSTREAM CRESCENDO 37 MODEL-378 FRED CUMMINS 5.9 300 HP ALLISON 2000MH 5 SPEED, BANKS DIESEL TUNER WITH IQ 2.0 SYSTEM FOR UP TO 85 RWHP AND 203 RWTQ GAINS.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The voltage regulator is not a real surge guard (it is a spike guard/supressor) this is an industry accepted mis-label however so no fraud there.

IT comes first.

Then the real surge guard (Which by the way ALSO includes spike supression, but in addition it is a surge guard, IF a real surge comes along (Sustained high voltage) the voltage regulator it going to sound like July-4 Fireworks as it's MOV's blow, but the Real Power line monitor/surge guard will simply cut you off to protect you)

That simple. That way if a low voltage hits the regulator will boost it before the power line guard type cuts you off.

on that rolled up cord

Unroll ALL OF IT before plugging in, do not coil power cords when in use.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Shoe2728

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a question about Surge Protectors, asked this question in another forum but got no replies. I have 50 amp service and looking at getting the EMS-HW50C. Sometimes I plug into 30 amps when 50 is not available. Will the EMS-HW50C still function as normal, I know in theory it probably should, but has anyone actually did it.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the FAQ on the website confirms 50a will work fine on 50 or 30.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/faqs.htm

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Laman

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All you need is the dogbone 50 to 30 amp connector and it will work fine. I have been doing that for years at shooting ranges I camp at which are always 30 amp and underpowered for the number of campers at the match. Numerous times my Surgegard has shut the MH down in the afternoons when A/C draw overwhelms the ranges electrial capacity.

I will have a Hughes Autoformer voltage regulator this year because a number of my buddies use them and survive the low voltage hours without being shut down and they always go before the SurgeGuard.

1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

GULFSTREAMER37

WATERBURY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

The voltage regulator is not a real surge guard (it is a spike guard/supressor) this is an industry accepted mis-label however so no fraud there.

IT comes first.

Then the real surge guard (Which by the way ALSO includes spike supression, but in addition it is a surge guard, IF a real surge comes along (Sustained high voltage) the voltage regulator it going to sound like July-4 Fireworks as it's MOV's blow, but the Real Power line monitor/surge guard will simply cut you off to protect you)

That simple. That way if a low voltage hits the regulator will boost it before the power line guard type cuts you off.

on that rolled up cord

Unroll ALL OF IT before plugging in, do not coil power cords when in use.

Thank you for the tip

jjj

Lancaster,Ca.U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Franks Voltage Booster for 5 years and always used it. Last year at the Thousand Trails in Acton Calif. they had a Transformer blow up and it Tossed my Franks Booster. I called Frank and they will send me the 2 circiut boards that went for only 400.00.if I want to install it myself but I don't know if anything else is wrong with it, so it is now a big paper weight.Yes they will not survive a spike if too big, 600.00 down the drain.

2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

GULFSTREAMER37

WATERBURY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjj wrote:

I had a Franks Voltage Booster for 5 years and always used it. Last year at the Thousand Trails in Acton Calif. they had a Transformer blow up and it Tossed my Franks Booster. I called Frank and they will send me the 2 circiut boards that went for only 400.00.if I want to install it myself but I don't know if anything else is wrong with it, so it is now a big paper weight.Yes they will not survive a spike if too big, 600.00 down the drain.

Do you have RV insurance should cover damage due to this type of failure.

chazh2616

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tend to get confused on upstream vs. downstream. I have surge guard and regulator, memory tells me that a regulator rep told me regulator first then surge guard. My thought is post is upstream (plug in regulator), coach is downstream (plug in surge guard)? For all those w/the same question.

Have to admit that it seemed logical to have surge guard plugged into post to protect regulator but that doesn't seem to be the case. HELP

Chazh

GULFSTREAMER37

WATERBURY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chazh2616 wrote:

Tend to get confused on upstream vs. downstream. I have surge guard and regulator, memory tells me that a regulator rep told me regulator first then surge guard. My thought is post is upstream (plug in regulator), coach is downstream (plug in surge guard)? For all those w/the same question.

Have to admit that it seemed logical to have surge guard plugged into post to protect regulator but that doesn't seem to be the case. HELP

LOL That is what started this Thread.

You are Correct, power flow through regulator first then through surge protector, then Coach.

Ted.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Surge protector, Voltage regulator who comes first?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS