|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> California SMOG related question - 1983 Jamboree

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been awhile, but I know the Motorcraft is MADE by Holley. But as I recall it's not an EXACT Holley through and through. Again, and only IIRC, some of the gaskets for Holley didn't match up to Motorcraft. But ordering a kit from the auto supply, using the Make/Mod of Vehicle, Engine etc, and maybe the tag numbers off the carb WILL get you a kit that works.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You definitely have a lean misfire based on your Emission readings, be sure to check every place that has manifold vacuum. Also on your readings, were those readings at idle? or 25 mph?

Bob in Calif.

Good Sam Club Life Member

DaHose

No. Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 12:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe those readings were at idle.

I will have fresh gaskets on the EGR plate and carb. and will look very closely to make sure I don't have any vacuum leaks.

Jose

chrisjpr

Owosso

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DaHose wrote:

Hello fellow RV'ers. Feels pretty good to say that.

I have a 1983 26 ft. Jamboree with a Ford 460 that failed smog. This motorhome is new to me, so I did a full tuneup and replaced the passenger exhaust gasket. It runs much better now, but I was told it didn't help and it looks like vacuum leaks. I also discovered that stomping on the throttle will cause a stall, but I slowly go to full throttle and it will pull pretty well. Idle is a bit rough.

From what I have read, it seems that this year/model engine is prone to drying out the gaskets between the carburetor, EGR plate/spacer and manifold. That leads to cracking and vacuum leaks.

I have thought of doing a leak test with brake cleaner, but truth be told, I don't have a problem just changing out those carb./spacer gaskets since it is a known issue. What does concern me is that I also read that the Holly carburetor on this model RV can be really hard to tune and leak prone. Since I have to take off the carb. to replace the gaskets, now would be the time to either rebuild myself or purchase a rebuilt. If this carb. is a pain to work with, I would lean toward paying a rebuild service, but $200 or more is nothing to sneeze at.

The questions I hope someone with experience can answer are as follow.

1.) Is my carb. with less than 60K miles on it likely to need a rebuild?

or

2.) Would you just replace the carb gaskets and expect it to pass smog?

Thanks for any all help offered.

Jose

I also have a Ford C with California emissions with only 50,000 miles. Its an 85'. The carburator is a Holly 4180, which I believe is what you have. My rig was running poorly as well so I rebuilt the carb with no luck. I have rebuilt many carbs with good luck but found this particular model to be very fussy. I finally spent $500.00 and bought a factory remanufactured one. Bolt and go. The rig now runs awesome.

chrisjpr

Owosso

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, the sudden stalling when mashing the throttle is caused from a bad accelerator pump.

spacedoutbob

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 12:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The other thing I wanted to ask you is. What are your readings at 2500 rpm? Don't forget to check the hose to the brake booster.

Bob in Calif.

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chrisjpr wrote:

DaHose wrote:

I have a 1983 26 ft. Jamboree with a Ford 460 that failed smog. This motorhome is new to me, so I did a full tuneup and replaced the passenger exhaust gasket. It runs much better now, but I was told it didn't help and it looks like vacuum leaks. I also discovered that stomping on the throttle will cause a stall, but I slowly go to full throttle and it will pull pretty well. Idle is a bit rough.

From what I have read, it seems that this year/model engine is prone to drying out the gaskets between the carburetor, EGR plate/spacer and manifold. That leads to cracking and vacuum leaks.

I have thought of doing a leak test with brake cleaner, but truth be told, I don't have a problem just changing out those carb./spacer gaskets since it is a known issue. What does concern me is that I also read that the Holly carburetor on this model RV can be really hard to tune and leak prone. Since I have to take off the carb. to replace the gaskets, now would be the time to either rebuild myself or purchase a rebuilt. If this carb. is a pain to work with, I would lean toward paying a rebuild service, but $200 or more is nothing to sneeze at.

or

Jose

I also have a Ford C with California emissions with only 50,000 miles. Its an 85'. The carburator is a Holly 4180, which I believe is what you have. My rig was running poorly as well so I rebuilt the carb with no luck. I have rebuilt many carbs with good luck but found this particular model to be very fussy. I finally spent $500.00 and bought a factory remanufactured one. Bolt and go. The rig now runs awesome.

Where did you get your carb?

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

chrisjpr

Owosso

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 12:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grillmeister wrote:

chrisjpr wrote:

DaHose wrote:

or

Jose

I got it from my local auto parts store. Actually, the Ford dealership in my home town installed and purchased it. I cant find the paperwork as to what company actually did the factory rebuild. There are several and the price range was vast when I researched them. I found some to cost over $700.00. Each parts store will have a company they work with. Shop around. I wanted a new one but Holley no longer makes this model.

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chrisjpr wrote:

Grillmeister wrote:

chrisjpr wrote:

DaHose wrote:

or

Jose

I got it from my local auto parts store. Actually, the Ford dealership in my home town installed and purchased it. I cant find the paperwork as to what company actually did the factory rebuild. There are several and the price range was vast when I researched them. I found some to cost over $700.00. Each parts store will have a company they work with. Shop around. I wanted a new one but Holley no longer makes this model.

chrisjpr Thanks for the info, when I looked ten years ago I could not find a California legal carb to buy.

I have had my rig for ten years and can't think of anything that I have not fixed, rebuilt, glued or taped. So a million BEERS later we are good to go.

PM me if you have anything you are working on as I have probably already done it twice since I most likely did it wrong the first time I think our rigs are almost identical.

Gary

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/13 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any up dates?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> California SMOG related question - 1983 Jamboree
Search:   Advanced Search