|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground says my 1989 motorhome is a fire hazard

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Folks wrote:

Westernrvparkowner,

I appreciate your posts and always read them for the campground owner's point of view. This time I must disagree. I find this: "We have a rule" but we will enforce it or ignore it as we please, depending on how it affects the bottom line just burns my toast.

"I always use the example of we do not allow pets to be off leash or unattended. But we will not kick you out of the park if fido runs from the RV to jump into the car."

I not saying draconion enforcement here, but in the case noted here, you should talk to the owner. The dog could "veer off" and bite someone or something on it's way to the car. Your insurance company certainly would not care for it, and may not even cover you because of lack of "enforcement." You know as well as I do, that in this case, you will have to prove your self "innocent" to the insurance company. I know this happens as my career was in animal control, and I have investigated bite cases such as this.

If you have a rule, enforce it. You don't have to kick people out, or be harsh.

Is it O.K. to cut your trees down for firewood, because it is Tuesday?

How would you feel if law enforcement was so abritray? What if store prices were the same? Maybe you get the sale price, maybe not.

I guess I am a "go by the book" type of guy.

Concerning your parks: I guess I will pass and NOT spend my money there because I won't know which rules are enforced or which ones are not. Which staff member will be lax, which one wknowbe harsh?
successfulou are a sucessful business person, and I respect that, but remember in the long run: He who has the money, rules.

I much prefer fair, reasonable enforcement.
Law enforcement is that "arbitrary" Law enforcement often allows a cushion on the speed limit. I can cross the double yellow line if my lane is obstructed. If an alzhiemer's patient runs outside naked, they are not automatically cited for indecent exposure. I am pretty sure I will be able to rent your space to someone who actually appreciates we take a practical approach to running our parks.

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Westernrvparkowner,

I guess we respectfully agree to disagree.

As far as renting my space, I am sure you will, but remember, that the american public is very fickle and any "rule" that brings you revenue today may just as well cost you revenue tommorrow. I agree that you are practical and respect that. I also respect that these are your properties, your money at risk, and your rules. Personally you could not pay me enough to run a campground. Too much work for too little return.

Law enforcement is not arbitrary. If a law is violated, some action WILL be taken. It can be as little as a verbal warning, or as much as imprisonment.

With the ten year rule most campgrounds either enforce the rule by banning entrance or completely ingnores the rule as if it did not exsist. That is abritary, by definition.

But I still beleive that the ten year rule needs even enforcement.

Don't worry I am not mad, and will waive as I, and my money, pass by your properties, as I do with all campgrounds with this rule.

* This post was edited 01/20/13 06:52pm by Dog Folks *

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

Dashonthedash

CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Westernparkowner,

I agree that an RV park owner has the right to set rules that he can enforce for his business, just as RV owners have the right to give them or not give them their business. What the OP was objecting to, and which I also find objectionable, is that the owner had to come up with a phony excuse to cover his policy, instead of just telling the customer that the park has a policy about older units. There is no proof that older units are greater fire hazards.

Gary Shapiro
Col. Dash - GSD, DOTL Rainbow Division, in my heart forever
Spc. Lily - 12-year-old Greyhound (Racing School drop-out)
Spc. Molly - 11-year-old GSD Mix (aka Honey Badger)
Shadow - 3-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

mowermech wrote:

Y'know, I don't believe I have ever seen a "decaying old rig" going down the road.
Especially here in Montana, and especially one with out-of-state license plates.
Perhaps it is because "decaying old rigs" won't stay together long enough to get here...
I have, however, seen a few "decaying old rigs" slowly sinking into the ground at an RV park by the Flathead River near Kalispell. They hadn't moved in years (not since the last flood, anyway), and it is doubtful that they would ever move again. NONE were motorhomes! They were all TTs.
They were gone the last time I was by there, and the park seems to be under new management.
As noted in my sig., my coach is a 2002 model. It is in good shape for its age, but I will not inflict myself on someone who does not want rigs over 10 years old. It doesn't matter what THEY are willing to do, if THEY have the rule, I will gladly help them enforce it by proceeding on down the road. That's the major benefit of being on wheels!
Don't you remember the "Seen it at Walmart" thread a few weeks back with the "friend of Jesus" rig? Haven't you seen some pretty run down skoolies or some smoke belching Winnies that you can't believe can even run, much less make it up to highway speed? They are out there. A 10 year rule is just a tool to make rejection a little more polite. If someone prefers that we just tell them their rig is a pile, I'll be glad to do it, but somehow being turned away because your rig is a little too old seems more civil.

I suppose, then, that a FIVE year old rig that looks and runs like it is a refugee from the wrecking yard would be allowed entry into your park? If you have the TEN year rule, how will you tell them "NO" without damaging their tender self-esteem? Yes, I'm sure you can find SOMEthing!
I have yet to encounter the "10 year rule", but if and when I do I will gladly go on down the road. There are a LOT of dump stations in Montana, and LOTS of state parks or Forest Service campgrounds to spend a few nights in. Several of them are right beside the highway! I have a self-contained coach, I just don't NEED full hookups bad enough to stay where I may not be wanted!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

mowermech wrote:

Y'know, I don't believe I have ever seen a "decaying old rig" going down the road.
Especially here in Montana, and especially one with out-of-state license plates.
Perhaps it is because "decaying old rigs" won't stay together long enough to get here...
I have, however, seen a few "decaying old rigs" slowly sinking into the ground at an RV park by the Flathead River near Kalispell. They hadn't moved in years (not since the last flood, anyway), and it is doubtful that they would ever move again. NONE were motorhomes! They were all TTs.
They were gone the last time I was by there, and the park seems to be under new management.
As noted in my sig., my coach is a 2002 model. It is in good shape for its age, but I will not inflict myself on someone who does not want rigs over 10 years old. It doesn't matter what THEY are willing to do, if THEY have the rule, I will gladly help them enforce it by proceeding on down the road. That's the major benefit of being on wheels!
Don't you remember the "Seen it at Walmart" thread a few weeks back with the "friend of Jesus" rig? Haven't you seen some pretty run down skoolies or some smoke belching Winnies that you can't believe can even run, much less make it up to highway speed? They are out there. A 10 year rule is just a tool to make rejection a little more polite. If someone prefers that we just tell them their rig is a pile, I'll be glad to do it, but somehow being turned away because your rig is a little too old seems more civil.

I suppose, then, that a FIVE year old rig that looks and runs like it is a refugee from the wrecking yard would be allowed entry into your park? If you have the TEN year rule, how will you tell them "NO" without damaging their tender self-esteem? Yes, I'm sure you can find SOMEthing!
I have yet to encounter the "10 year rule", but if and when I do I will gladly go on down the road. There are a LOT of dump stations in Montana, and LOTS of state parks or Forest Service campgrounds to spend a few nights in. Several of them are right beside the highway! I have a self-contained coach, I just don't NEED full hookups bad enough to stay where I may not be wanted!
We don't have 10 year rules, our business model just doesn't put us at risk. We don't take long term stays and we don't price for budget travelers, so we don't have much exposure. We do turn away rigs on occasion that are just not appropriate for the park.
But I can see where different rules are needed for different business models. If I ever took on a seasonal park, I would have more rules that relate to appearance and condition. An age limit would probably be part of those rules.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Austin RVer wrote:

When I called for a reservation they explained that they allow only 1995 and newer models because older RV electrical systems are not compatible with modern hookups and will catch fire.

I'm new to RVing, and have no campground experience, but I've never heard of this. Have I missed something?

Please, please, please, find another campground. These idiots are part of a new trend (you just discovered) that don't allow older rigs and discriminate against anything 5-8 years old. Don't get discouraged and keep camping. Lots of wonderful state campgrounds that don't take this attitude. Many, many places to go.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't really want to camp there do you??????? It's in a not so nice area and if you check on RVParkReviews you will see they have no amenities like a pool or club house etc and it is pretty dang expensive at $450 a month even if it does include electric. It is mostly workers and permanents. Another words it is a trailer park lol lol......Always check here RV Park Reviews before going to a strange park....

06 Montana 3000RK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)
10 Cadillac CTS
Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

fastpete

Somewhere in West Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Carri-Lite 35 footer is a 1990, and I have had no problem at any campground or RV park with the electicity or any other problems. Haven't been turned away from any because of age of our unit. It doesn't look that old, but we do take good care of it.

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Folks wrote:

Law enforcement is not arbitrary. If a law is violated, some action WILL be taken. It can be as little as a verbal warning, or as much as imprisonment.

Wow, this is one of the biggest total dismissal of facts and total lack of common sense that I think I've ever seen.

As Western RV Park said, thousands of people are excused every hour of every day, 365 days a year for going 5 to 10 MPH over the speed limit with no action taken whatsoever.

That's the biggest, but he listed many other very resonable examples.

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Folks wrote:

Nothing will earn a park bad reviews faster than having a bunch of decaying old rigs in the sites. Where you usually find these type of rules is in parks that cater to longer stays. Seldom do you find age restrictions in overnight or short term destination locations. The electrical thing is probably just a reason the management threw out in response to an objection over their age limitation and it has stuck. Might have originally be mentioned when they refused a homebuilt rig and it just became part of their speech when they refuse a rig.
And it has everything to do with money. It is not that they don't want yours, it's that they want money from the other guests who might not come if the park became home to a bunch of old, run down rigs. Good businesses know what customers they want to serve. Sometimes you need to pass on business to satisfy and keep your main clients.

I understand that it is about money. Don't excpect you to work for free, BUT start with rules that are not clear or evenly enforced, you won't see my money. If you have a ten year rule--enjforce it fairly, across the board. No exceptions. Or you too afraid?
By your definition, I guess I am scared. If you need rules to be 100% enforced, no exceptions, then my parks are not for you. I always use the example of we do not allow pets to be off leash or unattended. But we will not kick you out of the park if fido runs from the RV to jump into the car. We also won't kick you out if Fido escapes, if fido slips his collar or if fido breaks the leash in the middle of your walk. We have the unattended rule, but let people leave fido in their rigs while they are gone, provided fido isn't a nuisance. If he barks incessantly, we might invoke the no dog left unattended rule to give you the option of taking fido with you or leaving. We have rules in place to protect all our guests and to give us the tools to manage should the need arise. Just because it is a listed rule does not mean we have to have zero tolerance. If this flexibility is abhorrent to you, just ask if we enforce all rules with no exceptions and absolutely no flexibility before you make a reservation or before you check in and we will tell you we don't operate with zero tolerance and you can make the decision to seek out a more rigid park.

I appreciate your "logical" approach to park management. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with the public at times.

To the OP, if you want to have some fun just ask them for the code changes in the National Electrical Safety Code in the last 10 years that makes your RV a fire hazard. They won't be able to site anything is my bet.

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2011 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground says my 1989 motorhome is a fire hazard
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS