|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground says my 1989 motorhome is a fire hazard

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Austin RVer

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again everyone for all the help and support. Obviously there'll be a few campgrounds that won't be open to me as long as I drive an older RV, but that's OK. I love my motorhome and want to have many good years with it, and there are lots of great campsites out there.

* This post was edited 01/21/13 10:52pm by Austin RVer *

1989 Itasca Suncruiser 27RQ
Two humans, two dogs and two gerbils
Fulltiming since January 2013

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The funny thing I find about threads like this.......

If a CG/Park etc. won't let me in because f the age of my RV, I won't stay there/

No kidding..if they won't let you in you don't have a different choice but to go on down the road.

All kinds of businesses have rules.......if they apply to me I don't get all out of whack. Lots of restaurants have dress codes, I don't go there either. Tip of the hat, thanks and move on down the road.

It's not as if the world has ended. Way too many other places to spend my monies so it really doesn't matter.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two sides to many issues.

RULES.. Well some folks insist on "Pushing the envelope" so we have to have rules.. Else you'd have some kid doing 100MPH on a residential street (yes, a Law is a rule) or through the campground... In fact in one campground I stay in some kid tried to do that, He succeeded in hitting a park employee, and lying to the cops about who he was.. If they ever get him they are going to feed him to the 2-legged sharks (Lawyers).

As for enforcement.. To use the "Fido" example.. If you have a leash rule, then if Fido runs from the TT to the Tow vehicle sans leash and you don't take enforcement action.. Someone else is going to let his fido run loose, chew on some kid's leg, and then when you take action scream "Selective enforcement, Selective enforcement" (I can't tell you how many times we heard that when I was a police dispatcher).

There is an old saying about you can't fool all of the people all of the time but you can fool some of the people some of the time.

Well, you can't plase all of the people all of the time, but you can tick them off, and alas, some folks were born to complain.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"If a CG/Park etc. won't let me in because f the age of my RV, I won't stay there/"

No, I don't believe that is what people are saying.
What has been said is, IF the park has a "10 year rule", but chooses to ignore it for some very nice older rigs, even though our rig may be nice enough to please them, we will NOT stay there. We WILL enforce their "10 year rule" on ourselves, and won't allow an inspection of our rig to see if we "qualify" for their HIGH STANDARDS.
THEY make the rules, WE are just helping them abide by their own rules by NOT asking for (or receiving)any exemption.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campground policy - states 1990 or newer

The pictures and reviews of the place definitely do not portray a resort... Maybe the owners truly are misinformed????

***edited - I mean the campground owners are misinformed about the "fire hazard" older rigs supposedly are. I do not mean the OP is misinformed.... ***

* This post was edited 01/22/13 10:48am by resmas *

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my case, even though I have a nice rig that is way under 10 years old, if a Campground has a 10 year rule, I will do my very best to park elsewhere.

That is because I understand that some RV's 10-20-30-40 years old are well cared for and in very very good shape, where as other rigs that are much newer, say 2 or 3 but the owners are ... Well, in serious need of educating, are in sad shape.

Thus, though I will stay at a "Management reserves the right to refuse parking" park, if it is a 10 year rule, NO THANK YOU.

In this thread however what concerns me is the park saying the older rid is an electrical fire hazard.

I mean, I have a degree in science, additional certification in electronics, a lot of experience in electrical and have been RVing for what, 34 years and I've never heard of such a thing before this thread.

If they say "We don't want older rigs" I park elesewere, but when they tell LIES which is what this campground did.. Action is indicated.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I`de be more worried about the laundry facilities going up. certainly doesn`t have the look of an "age restriction" campground!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 12yrs
Daughter Marissa 11yrs
Dog Shadow

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese HP dualcam Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/13 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE just traded off our 1987 MH that we owned for 10 years. We were never turned away at a campground and had it all over the west and south west. I never even had a campground ask its age but had several of them complement me on how nice it looked. Most people would hardly believe it was that old if I told them. I rarely make reservations and it might have made a difference if they couldn't see it.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/13 03:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will have to agree with westernrvparkowner here....whether or not the reason the park gave was true or not really makes no difference. It's their park and they can let whoever they want to stay or not. If they feel they are making the best decisions for their business, thats up to them.

I saw some pictures of the park online...does not look like it would have modern hookups in my opinion. It's been in business since 1981, would the electrical hookups have gotten an overhaul 14 years later? hmmmm...

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/13 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

I will have to agree with westernrvparkowner here....whether or not the reason the park gave was true or not really makes no difference. It's their park and they can let whoever they want to stay or not. If they feel they are making the best decisions for their business, thats up to them.

I saw some pictures of the park online...does not look like it would have modern hookups in my opinion. It's been in business since 1981, would the electrical hookups have gotten an overhaul 14 years later? hmmmm...

If they could do whatever they want then why does the govt require certain needs be met? Sometimes even your rules need to be reassessed! Just because you can doesn't men it is the best.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Campground says my 1989 motorhome is a fire hazard
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS