RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: We purchase our 1st RV yesterday 1/19/2013

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> We purchase our 1st RV yesterday 1/19/2013

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gconrad

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did it!!! After 3 years of talking about it and going to RV shows and visiting RV lots we purchase a travel trailer. We have gone from the 24ft, 26ft to the 5th wheel. We bought an 18ft Salem Cruise Lite. After getting over all of the what we will be doing, we got real with each other. We want to meet people, spend time outside, see the beauty of the United States and spend quality time with each other. So we are now looking for ALL advice from those that have walked this path. Do you remember your first time out? Well we are so excited and extemely scared. We have a KIA Sedona that we will be currently pulling the TT with until we decide on just what vehicle we should get. But please rejoice with us on our purchase and feel free to give us all the advice good and bad that you can. So looking forward to this.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on your new rig and it sounds like you already know what you are doing, having owned trailers before. Sounds like a nice setup.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome and glad you finally joined the crowd. You will probably find that this first purchase ends up way too small for you. But thats OK. It will definitely give you an idea whether you,like or dislike the lifestyle for not too much money. Now, as to the TV, I suspect as I did with out last two, that the atV simply does not cut it.. And you will be upgrading to a larger more capable vehicle to pull your trailers. If that turns out to be the case, don't stop at adequate, instead sit down, decide how big you will eventually want to end up, and size the TV to match that load. Remember the old saying, no one has ever complained about having too much tow vehicle.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Congrats and good luck with your future rving fun. Start out slow and close by. Some even start spending a night or two in there yard to just to make sure they can work everything ans see what they need to take with them. Take it to a big parking lot to practice backing up and making turns. School parking lots work out nice on the weekend. Learn how to communicate with your spouse helping you back up before you get to the campground and 20 people are watching. Have Fun

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

gajd33

Winder,GA

View Profile

Congrats! Our first time was in a pop up camper 15 years ago. My how things have changed, yet the excitement and experiences linger. Enjoy

Dadio24

TEXAS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats...big step but the best. Good setup to really enjoy the RVing life. We did a practice trip before our 1st big trip. Went 10 miles from home to RV campground and made sure everything work, especially me, and tried everything at least once. Brought out the chairs and enjoyed the people around me. Make a list of things you need and have it just in case. My HINT: flashlights, lots of flashlights and batteries, you will need them.

Wiscampsin

Wisconsin USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on your new rig. Wishing you many safe and memorable trips in it.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34 REQS-6
http://s1340.beta.photobucket.com/user/W........6?&_suid=1357224714962013706578115184365

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats!! Put everything you think you need in the camper, and after practicing backing etc if you need to, stay somewhere close to home or shopping. Try to keep bedding, kitchen equip., towels and games in the camper, so when you want to go you just add food and clothing and hit the road. Remember that everything you forget can be purchased somewhere. Enjoy!!
P.S. make sure you purchased dump hose cause some don't come with it.

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats! We did two years of "what should we get? " and it felt great to make the decision. Felt even greater to start using it, and it just keeps getting more fun and a more enjoyable part of our lives.

My advice - don't worry about what you don't know, you'll figure it out. Don't worry about stocking too much stuff to cover every possibility. It's amazing how little you really need to go off for weeks or even months. Have a great time!

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit 210B Sprinter,
also known as the "Lab Cab" for Hearing Dog Raylene
(a 2014 graduate of Dogs for the Deaf, Inc.)

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new rig. I wish you all of the enjoyment and good fortune we have had with ours.
I barely remember our first trip in the little Cree we had in the 80s. It was tiny but we had a lot of fun in it. Flash forward 20 years after we had taken a break to travel abroad and the hitch itch hit us again, so we got to do it again with this rig. It was a two week trip that gave us time to get everything packed just right, get use to the trailer and play with all the toys the Cree didn't have. (basically everything)

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
Nights camped in 2011 21
Nights camped in 2012 16

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> We purchase our 1st RV yesterday 1/19/2013
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts