|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Binoculars

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any recommendations for a good pair of binoculars for camping and sightseeing, in the range of $200-300, maybe 8x power? DW and I both wear glasses.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)
Going soon: 2004 Crossroads Cruiser 28RL 5er

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the 7 X 50 binoculars at Harbor Freight.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
1982 6.2L Diesel Suburban 1500

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree you want 7X50's but Harbor Freight (and for the record I love that place), would not be my first choice. The price of binoculars is based upon the quality of the optics. If you have ever looked through a quality pair you will know the difference immediately. If they are just for casual, occasional use a cheap pair will be just fine but if you plan on using them extensively do yourself a favor and buy the best quality your budget will permit.

Go to a store that allows you to compare/contrast several pair of different quality/prices and go outside to test them. You can't tell didley inside a store. The differences will be amaze you. With a budget of $200 - $300 you should be able to get a really decent pair. The best prices will be found on the internet but a hands on demo can't be beat. FTR: I love my Fujinon's, 7X50 with the built in compass... but they were $500 ten years ago.

stevekk

CA/ OR border

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a pair of these. They are Atlas Intrepid for $290. The 10 power are only $10 more. Plus FREE shipping.
Note the 47 people that reviewed them and how high the ratings are. These are really really good for the $.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/atlas-optics/atlas-optics-intrepid-ed-8x42-binocular

If you are patient and get on Eagle Optics emailing list, you may find them on sale cheaper yet.

Sorry the link not work. But you can find them.

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just did a lot of research and looking at binoculars to get my wife a pair for Christmas. I was specifically looking for something suitable for bird watching. What I settled on was the Nikon 8 x 42 Monarch 5. The prices ranged from $230 at Cabelas where I bought them to $280 most other places. They work great with glasses and emit a lot of light. For birding they recommend a field of view of over 300 feet. That's why they mostly recommend 8X over 10X power. I found the Nikon a little bit better than my runner-up, the Bushnell 8 x 42 Legend Ultra HD.

You can go to http://www.binoculars.com/ and read up on them and compare most.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought the Vortex Diamondback 8X42 binoculars a couple of years ago for bird watching and liked them so much that we bought a second so we both can watch at the same time.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

1mtnman

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

I just did a lot of research and looking at binoculars to get my wife a pair for Christmas. I was specifically looking for something suitable for bird watching. What I settled on was the Nikon 8 x 42 Monarch 5. The prices ranged from $230 at Cabelas where I bought them to $280 most other places. They work great with glasses and emit a lot of light. For birding they recommend a field of view of over 300 feet. That's why they mostly recommend 8X over 10X power. I found the Nikon a little bit better than my runner-up, the Bushnell 8 x 42 Legend Ultra HD.

You can go to http://www.binoculars.com/ and read up on them and compare most.

These binoculars in the 8x42 and 10x42 are some of the finest binoculars you can buy for the money. I have sold hundreds of these while employed at Sportsman's Warehouse. If you are looking for fine optics don't pass up the opportunity to check these out against any
binoculars that cost 100's of dollars more.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you want a good pair of bino's then you would like or even just look at a pair of bino's with a feature called stabilzer built in. just push a button and the image stops shaking. I was camping one year and we saw a coyote coming towards camp, I was shaking so bad and one of the neighbors let me use his bino's with this feature. amazing. it doesn't freeze the image, I could still see the coyote moving. it delays the image to make the shaking stop

Fire Instructor

Upstate (Albany) NY Area

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Binocular quality is all about the optic. If you just want a simple pair, for occasional use, that bring things closer, then the Harbor Freight model is probably fine. If you are going to get into "heavy" site-seeing, bird watching, scanning the sea horizon, or any other heavy-duty use, then invest in the better optics of a Minolta, Nikon, or Bushnell.

Fire Instructor

2004 Dodge 1500 4dr 4x4
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller & Xantrex PW2000 Inverter

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking!" General George S. Patton

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

if you want a good pair of bino's then you would like or even just look at a pair of bino's with a feature called stabilzer built in. just push a button and the image stops shaking. I was camping one year and we saw a coyote coming towards camp, I was shaking so bad and one of the neighbors let me use his bino's with this feature. amazing. it doesn't freeze the image, I could still see the coyote moving. it delays the image to make the shaking stop

When we were in Haines, Alaska looking at the bears a guy had a pair of image stabilizer binoculars and he let me try them. They were fantastic. They were Canon 10x42 L Image Stablizer binoculars. The bad news is they cost $1,375 at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-10x42-Stabil........tion-Waterproof-Binoculars/dp/B0007W4IW2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Binoculars
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS