RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Is 2 weeks enough time?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is 2 weeks enough time?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
ALLinTN

Collierville

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Momma says let's hit the road! First family rv trip ever and I need some opinions and advice from you seasoned rv'ers! I need to know if 2 weeks is enough time for:
Memphis to Rushmore to Yellowstone to Grand Tetons to Grand Canyon to Memphis? First night st louis (late start) 2nd night Sioux Falls 3rd night Rushmore 4th through 7th Yellowstone (Fishing Bridge) then maybe a couple nights at Grand Tetons and then Grand Canyon...???
Advice,thoughts, considerations, recommendations, routes, rv parks...any and all input would be appreciated. God bless!

JMCC730248

HIXSON,TN.U.S.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could probably do ;but you will be pushing it also;

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 LWB SRW 48re 610ctd
06 jayco eagle 301rls,retired and loving it,just me and her....or is it her and me? TOM and LADY DI.............don,t look back something might be gaining on you..........

johnrbd

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After hitting all the biggies on your first trip, what are you going to do on second trip? Doable but not a lot of fun getting there.

denverhank

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Streets and Trips says it would be around 3900 miles. Even at 400 miles a day that would be 10 solid days of driving leaving 4 days to see the sights.
IMHO, not a wise trip but certainly doable, as long as you'd rather be cooped up in the TV. Personally I'd eliminate either the northern parks or the Grand Canyon so I could at least stop and smell the roses.

2003 Ford F-250 King Ranch 4x4 6L PSD
2012 Jayco 31.5FBHS
DW and an African Grey chatterbox
retired IT tech

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't have time to stop and enjoy things.

Winnebago Access 24V

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going from Memphis to Yellowstone and including the Grand Canyon in 2 wks is pretty aggressive. We actually decided this morning not to go to Yellowstone this summer because we only have two weeks, but it would be up to you. Enjoy!

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think I would try it. too much driving to suit me. you din't say if you had kids or not. if so it would be not very much fun. the kids would suffer too much

84bob

Canyon Country,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/13 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip the Grand Canyon and do it on your next trip.There is a ton of stuff to see in AZ.

2010 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL
2006 Dodge 3500 SRW CUMMINS

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALLinTN wrote:

Momma says let's hit the road! First family rv trip ever and I need some opinions and advice from you seasoned rv'ers! I need to know if 2 weeks is enough time for:
Memphis to Rushmore to Yellowstone to Grand Tetons to Grand Canyon to Memphis? First night st louis (late start) 2nd night Sioux Falls 3rd night Rushmore 4th through 7th Yellowstone (Fishing Bridge) then maybe a couple nights at Grand Tetons and then Grand Canyon...???
Advice,thoughts, considerations, recommendations, routes, rv parks...any and all input would be appreciated. God bless!

ALLinTN that was the route and direction we planned after Labor day 2011 but did add NV for family visit then spent a week in CA since we were so so close. We did 8000 miles in 31 days but had we cut NV and CA we would have done it in 14 days.

We were in a MH with no towing and I am a 12 hour driver so our time is not typical. It was 32 hours to Badlands visitor center parking lot where we slept the second night. The first night was at WM in KS near NE. If we had headed for Grand Canyon after swimming in the Great Salt Lake it would have been a fast 14 day trip. For us St. Louis is about 3 hours away but when you get back to Memphis you are home.

We did a day tour bus of each the North and South Loop of YS to make sure we got that NP covered well with min work on the only driver. Grand Tetons were done as a east side drive by on US89 south on the way to Salt Lake during sunset and the view was awesome.

Did a drive by of LV after dark doing 10 MPH due to interstate night construction so I was able to give the kids a good verbal tour then we sleep in a parking lot near Hoover Dam and started there the next morning, did the Skywalk on the GC (cool but I suggest a pass if time is a concern due to RV destroying 15 miles of gravel washboard road). It was very expensive stop and there was not air or boat trips taken.

After Hoover Dam and Sky Walk we slept in Comfort Inn in
Williams AZ. After two days in Williams that included train to and viewing GC we headed over to Monument Valley and four corners (would skip 4 corners if you do not do MV. Took a couple days being lazy that included Santa Fe and then did Roswell (a must of the 14 year old son) yet his sister and I did enjoy it too.

Next day did Carlsbad Caverns NM and that is a MUST see and slept in Midland TX. After a couple lazy days we got Dallas/FW and did the FW Zoo, Six Flags and Zero Gravity then I drove straight though to Murray KY.

A lot of details but I wanted to see what you could cut out and still cover the high lights. Getting an early start you can do Badlands and Mount Rushmore by 5 PM and be headed to YS if you wish. Strongly suggest YS bus tours. You have options on the way to the Grand Canyon and after it moving on to Carlsbad Caverns NM and on to TX would give you a fast trip with a lot of high lights. If you have time for Dallas then do something for just head for TN. Midland does have a very nice oil industry museum and outside many old drilling rigs set up and it is right off I-20. It was just down the access road from the nice $26 full hook up RV park. They can handle overnighters for one night on the fly. We did not reservations on the trip but YS booking is a MUST.

Hope you have a great trip and it is very doable in your time window.

Squonk61

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 11:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

National parks are best experienced off the beaten track-or at least off the asphalt. You can do it, but IMHO, not have experienced the true beauty. Yellowstone is worth at least a week unless you want to see it looking out a window. Cover or uncover, your call.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is 2 weeks enough time?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS