RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Is 2 weeks enough time?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is 2 weeks enough time?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/13 11:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd suggest leaving the Grand Canyon for later, spend another day or to viewing & enjoying the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone instead.

Stop by the Devil's Tower in WY & Little Big Horn Battlefield. Cody, WY has some neat things to see (Buffalo Bill Cody's Museums).

Another day or two exploring Teton Area would be enjoyable.

Long way from Jackson, WY to Flagstaff, AZ. We have driven it.....a long drive.

DesertHawk - Las Cruces, NM USA
2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius

lizbard

Nacogdoches, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 01:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know your ages or if you will have children or grandchildren with you. I am the only driver for us and if I drive over 250 miles in a day, it is hard on me the next day. Plus I am not having fun and have no energy to sightsee.

For us, we find it easier to drive no more than 250 miles per day and park about 5pm if not before so you can set up camp in the daylight. This way too you can also enjoy sunset, in case you are not a morning person to see the sunrise. We also stop about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours so we can walk, go to the bathroom, eat a snack, etc.

You also need to allow for weather. If it is raining really bad, it can be hazardous to travel in a RV. If it is very windy, you will want to hole up in a RV park or a museum parking lot and explore the museum and try to wait out the wind and rain.

Have several places planned on the trip to sightsee each day, this way you can have some exercise and check something out at the same time. Not all places cost money to see. Sometimes it is fun to stop at a large grocery store or a store in a state that specializes in certain cuisine.

Be flexible. Our first trip in 2009, we had planned to travel on IH 20 from Texas to Georgia, then return to Texas on IH 10. Because of tropical storms, flooding on IH10 in Florida and possible hurricane in May 2009, we stayed an extra day at a Navy base, staying in the RV because of hazardous driving. While we were waiting, we got out our maps and state books and re-routed our trip so we could see some new museums - state history and aviation museums we found were along our way.

Call or look on the internet and get the books and maps of areas near you and the states around you. Using a child's compass (pencil with metal pointer) figure out how far from you is 4 hours away and draw a circle around Memphis, then from there figure out which way to go from there and call for the state info. If you have a RV, you need to plan for being able to stop and smell the roses or trees. The Clinton Museum in Little Rock is neat and so is the museum about the Little Rock 9. North of Little Rock is a car museum, in some mountains and I think there is a RV park in the area.

Save the farther trip for when you have more than 14 days. You will be more rested if you don't try to push it. After all, vacations are for relaxing as well as recreation. Slow down, enjoy the scenery. Stop at some of the unusual sites you see advertised by the billboards along the highway.

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others.. Way to much trip for 2 weeks. Unless you plan to get there and go to the gift shop and buy a DVD about it and hit the road. And you enjoy 18 hour days. Your plans cover travel but no time to see any thing. Take your time and enjoy. We like many others stick to 350 or so mile days and do stop any were that intrest us.. But lay over to see and visit things. Now that you own it take the time to see every thing. We have been at it over 40 years and are still going new places. Heck, some times takes us 2-3 days to go to Costco and its only a 100 mile round trip..

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 05:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can do that - we did 2 weeks from Ohio to all those places when I was a kid, but it was just days and days of driving, hop out to look over whatever, hop back in and drive more...

I'd visit just one a year and spread it out.

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

pchartrand

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, that's a lot of driving and to little sight seeing time. I would shorten the trip, or extent the time.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2011 Dodge Durango

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 05:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALLinTN wrote:

Momma says let's hit the road! First family rv trip ever and I need some opinions and advice from you seasoned rv'ers! I need to know if 2 weeks is enough time for:
Memphis to Rushmore to Yellowstone to Grand Tetons to Grand Canyon to Memphis? First night st louis (late start) 2nd night Sioux Falls 3rd night Rushmore 4th through 7th Yellowstone (Fishing Bridge) then maybe a couple nights at Grand Tetons and then Grand Canyon...???
Advice,thoughts, considerations, recommendations, routes, rv parks...any and all input would be appreciated. God bless!

I'd rather have a root canal than try to do this trip in two weeks, especially if you're including any kids.

As others have said, skip the Grand Canyon and save it for another trip. Even then the trip would be far more driving and far less 'rose smelling' than I would like.

2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with all the others: way too big a bite to chew. Oh, you could cover the miles, but you wouldn't have but 15 minutes at each place to see anything.

I'd pick just one of those places, and plan to really see it. Next trip, go for another. You could spend 2 weeks at each of them -- never mind the travel time -- and still not see everything. Well, except maybe Rushmore.

Whirlwind driving tours make my head hurt. The real beauty of RV travel is being able to take your time and see the sights. Land in a campground, build a campfire, pull up a rock, and sit a spell. Have some dogs and burgers and s'mores and listen to the local fauna. Don't forget to crack open a few cold ones while you're at it.

Wisest advice I ever got off this board is to follow the 2-2-2 rule: drive 200 miles, arrive before 2 PM, stay two days.

Go visit Amazon.com and look in their travel section. Couple titles for you:
Fodor's "Official Guide to America's National Parks"
Jamie Jensen "Road Trip USA"
Jan Friedman "Eccentric America"
Reader's Digest "Off the Beaten Path"

Especially recommended are Fodor and Jensen.

* This post was edited 01/21/13 06:01am by naturist *

linnemj

Northern Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to another mid-south camper!

Others have given you good advice on trying to do too much on one trip.

We pull a 30' trailer and when we are hauling to get somewhere, I plan a maximum of 400 mile days. That is based on our experience of an average of 50 mph for 8 hours. It also means we use a pull through camp site on our overnights and don't unhook the trailer.

After getting in the area we always stay a minimum of two nights at each place and limit most days driving under 200 miles.

I am a planner and can't get away from making reservations. I get nervous just going day to day trying to decide where to camp. I am trying to get more relaxed about that.

Enjoy the time off and the family!

Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you would really be pushing it to do all this is two weeks. I am not sure you would enjoy the sights very much as you will be basically driving by with no time to really enjoy. We took a week one time from Denver to Arches, Grand Canyon for two days, Zion for one day or so, Bryce for one day and then overnight in Salt Lake before coming home and we missed so much, we took a week trip to the Zion and Bryce area this last spring to see some of what we missed. You can use up to three to four days to see, and enjoy, Yellowstone and another couple of days of the same in Grand Teton. I would suggest you consider leaving the Grand Canyon trip for another time, come up through the Black Hills, Yellowstone and Grand Teton and then home. I don't know how many miles that would be, but I would suggest you will enjoy your trip a whole lot more with considerably less driving.

John A. Lichty

SteveRuff

Bacliff, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am reminded of the old movie, "If Its Tuesday This Must be Belgium." We spent 5 days in Yellowstone and left feeling we had barely scratched the surface. We have been to the Grand Canyon twice and found new things to see and do. The Black Hills deserve weeks rather than hours or even days IMHO. There is so much to see and do there other than Mt. Rushmore it would be a shame to short change it. I know people travel in different ways with different priorities but this is too much in too little time for my money.

Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is 2 weeks enough time?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS