|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trailer Quality

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Redterpos3

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are brand new to the RV world, though have been touring for a while. We just purchased our Nash at the West Milton dealer and had a good experience. I liked the floorplan and the high marks from people about Nash/Arctic Fox. Am looking forward to a bit warmer temperatures to take it out. Right now its sitting in my driveway being a temptation, when it gets back in the twenties I'll have a few nights in the driveway as I learn the ropes!! Can't wait!!

"The Travelin' Terrapins!"
2000 Ford E-350 (150,500 miles); 2011 Nash 27T (6335 miles)

2013 - 1st Year - 30 nights in trailer - 3150 miles!! Success!! Every time I see an RV on the road I smile.

2014 - 2nd Year - 48 nights; 3185 miles

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Woodglue runs around the forum pushing her Lance propaganda and putting down all others.I don't understand why she feels the need to do that..

She raves about the quality of the construction of Lance trailers. I wonder if she knows that her Lance's "dual pane" windows add about an R-Value of 1 or 2 points. Big expense for dual panes. (BTW I have them on my Jayco- never again). Lance uses block foam for insulation. Styrofoam has less insulating value than fiberglass (pink stuff)inch for inch.Insulation
I could go on but I think everyone gets the point. All trailers have their problems. We just have to work around them and go on enjoying the RV lifestyle..
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES trailer

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillB800si wrote:

Woodglue runs around the forum pushing her Lance propaganda and putting down all others.I don't understand why she feels the need to do that..

She raves about the quality of the construction of Lance trailers. I wonder if she knows that her Lance's "dual pane" windows add about an R-Value of 1 or 2 points. Big expense for dual panes. (BTW I have them on my Jayco- never again).

What didn't you like about the dual pane windows? Must be less condensation in cold and/or damp weather I'd think? I always figured they'd be good to have..?

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillB800si wrote:

She raves about the quality of the construction of Lance trailers. I wonder if she knows that her Lance's "dual pane" windows add about an R-Value of 1 or 2 points. Big expense for dual panes. (BTW I have them on my Jayco- never again). Lance uses block foam for insulation. Styrofoam has less insulating value than fiberglass (pink stuff)inch for inch.Insulation
I could go on but I think everyone gets the point. All trailers have their problems. We just have to work around them and go on enjoying the RV lifestyle..
Happy trails,

Dual pane windows are a huge plus in ANY "4 Seasons" trailer. And there is a huge difference between Styrofoam and Extruded Polystyrene.

Please get your facts straight before stating them as such.

WoodGlue

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WoodGlue wrote:

Dual pane windows are a huge plus in ANY "4 Seasons" trailer. And there is a huge difference between Styrofoam and Extruded Polystyrene.

Please get your facts straight before stating them as such.

WoodGlue

Why not give him the chance to answer my question about the windows before jumping down his throat? He's had them and wasn't impressed.

As for the foam, yes there is a difference, mostly to do with trademarks as far as I can see....
I'm pretty sire the blue or pink foam (styrofoam) has a higher R value that the white stuff, it's a lot denser, I used it in the basement of my old house. The white stuff is used a lot for coffee cups, packing material etc, it's cheaper, less R value.

What kinda foam does Lance have?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrofoam

http://www.gfrecycle.com/cms/FAQ

* This post was edited 01/25/13 10:19pm by Fisherguy *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi BillB800si,

I would never by an RV that did not have dual pane windows. I cold weather camp a lot.

Personally I find Woodglue's comments of interest, and I've learned things I did not know before.

As to your claim of fiber being more effective, that is not necessarily so:

R Value Myth Foam vs Fiberglass

BillB800si wrote:

She raves about the quality of the construction of Lance trailers. I wonder if she knows that her Lance's "dual pane" windows add about an R-Value of 1 or 2 points. Big expense for dual panes. (BTW I have them on my Jayco- never again). Lance uses block foam for insulation. Styrofoam has less insulating value than fiberglass (pink stuff)inch for inch.Insulation All trailers have their problems. We just have to work around them and go on enjoying the RV lifestyle..
Happy trails,

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi BillB800si,

I would never by an RV that did not have dual pane windows. I cold weather camp a lot.

Personally I find Woodglue's comments of interest, and I've learned things I did not know before.

You must be selling your unit and buying a Lance then?

I'm interested in hearing why Bill didn't like his dual pane windows.

Click the link Bill posted, it says standard fibreglass insulation has a higher R value than standard polystyrene.
I'm just not sold on foam sandwich construction which has very few studs, relying on the foam for strength compared to a standard fibreglass insulated RV with 16" centered studs of welded aluminium or wood studs.

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/13 10:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherguy wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi BillB800si,

You must be selling your unit and buying a Lance then?

I'm interested in hearing why Bill didn't like his dual pane windows.

Click the link Bill posted, it says standard fibreglass insulation has a higher R value than standard polystyrene.
I'm just not sold on foam sandwich construction which has very few studs, relying on the foam for strength compared to a standard fibreglass insulated RV with 16" centered studs of welded aluminium or wood studs.

Yes and polystyrene coupled with Azdel in the walls blows "pink insulation and luaun" out of the water, as Azdel has it's own insulation properties!

Lance uses extruded polystyrene and Azdel in all their campers and trailers.

WoodGlue

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 11:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Fisherguy,

It's not too likely that I'll switch from the medium quality class C that I was fortunate enough to be able to afford.

LAdams

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 12:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The intent if the OP's question has been long lost with this argument about insulation and double pane windows and some of the comments are getting personal - thread is closed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Trailer Quality
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS