RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Family Camping: Planning trip to VT,NH,ME in October. Advice?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Planning trip to VT,NH,ME in October. Advice?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
gauman2

OhiO

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We want to head to the north east to see the leaves in October 2013. This will be are second year with the TT and our longest trip. We live near Cleveland and will go up through NY. Just the wife and I and maybe the dog. Looking for advice on when, where and why. Areas that are a must see or stay? Take more then 7 days total? Suggestions, routes, etc.? Thank you for your time! -Kris-

raytronx

Traveling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend the area in New Hampshire called the White Mountains. We went there October 2011 and the leaves were on fire. There is tons to do and see. Mount Washington is a big attraction. The area has a nice State Park and some interesting little towns.

Love Your RV Blog

Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE - 1994 Ford F350 7.3l IDI DRW

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will want a week minimum for Vermont and another week minimum for New Hampshire, and that's just for hitting the high points, based on our trip in 2008.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you make it into Southern Maine, I can highly recommend Libby's Ocean Camping in York, ME. One of the most expensive campgrounds we've ever stayed at, but like they say in real estate...location, location, location!

We also have stayed at Sea-Vu Campground in Wells, ME. Plenty of excellent restaurants between York, Ogunquit & Wells, and awesome ocean views.

In New Hampshire, we enjoy Mountain Lake Campground in Lancaster, NH. The "premium sites" have a fantastic view of the lake. They are in the White Mountains area.

If you swing through Massachusetts, in southeast Massachusetts I can recommend Normandy Farms Campground.

All of the above campgrounds are nice, family run campgrounds. Not cheap, but very clean, well patrolled and maintained.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the campgrounds in New England close up around October 15th. In our experience, though, if you arrive before or around that time, they will usually allow you to stay for several days past the "official closing" while they work to winterize the campground. Sometimes the bath/washroom facilities are no longer available, but if you've got full hook-ups in your rig, that shouldn't be a problem. That said, unless you like crowds, I'd recommend to not be in Southern Maine during the Columbus Day holiday weekend. Our Columbus Day is Canada's "Thanksgiving Day" and combined with all of the New Englanders doing their "Fall leaf peeping get-aways" it gets pretty busy. By noon on Columbus Day, the crowds thin out nicely.

Personally I'd spend about half the time between Vermont & New Hampshire, and the second half in Maine, especially if you like oceanside vistas and lobster! Yum!

The biggest problem with planning the trip, however, is that it's impossible to predict the "peak" season for foliage. There are so many variables. Some years, it's awesome for about a month. Other years, it's hard to tell when the peak really occurred. Some years it's a gorgeous symphony of color. Other years, its like the symphony is just tuning up and never quite gets their act together.

So what I'd recommend is as the travel date gets closer, check out the websites for recommendations of peak foliage, and use those as a guide as to where you should head. That is northern VT/NH, southern VT/NH/ME or possibly even MA & CT. For instance, the peak in Southern Maine is usually around Columbus Day, but it can be a week before or after that date. But the lobster is ALWAYS good! LOL

Have a great trip.

~Rick

* This post was edited 01/21/13 03:13pm by Rick Jay *

2005 Georgie Boy 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22 (Class A)
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (18-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (13), 2 boys (14 & 11).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Mike& Rose

Lake & Horse country,Blackstone Valley MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my favorite sites in Vermont is Quechee Gorge in the all.
One problem is that most of the campgrounds start to close in October and being New England you may encounter cold temps and even snow. Meredith Woods in NH may still be open and as someone mentioned, Normandy Farms, Foxboro, MA. Both places have indoor pool. In NY, Lake George and Lake Placid are 2 of our favorite places to visit. Have not RVed there in the fall, thus not sure what campground will be open. So I would first try to search on line or call different campground to see which one will remain open. One time a campground in PA was closed, but let us camp and fill our water tank at the main office. We still had electric and sewer at the site. It snowed and was actually fun. We had plenty of propane, so we were nice and warm.

See you on the road!

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This page should update for 2013 as the season approaches. http://www.foliage-vermont.com/ It will give you a pretty good idea of what is happening in upstate NY, VT and NH. Those are the areas I would recommend for foliage. I lived in VT for 45 years so I am prejudiced I guess. All of New England is great, but in my opinion you will find nicer vistas in the northern areas.
As mentioned before, most NE campgrounds close after Columbus Day weekend, but check campground guides for exceptions, because there are quite a few.
Enjoy and travel safe.

campersuzid

Bisbee

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/13 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to consider the Kancamangus Hwy (SR112) -- fabulous! Jigger Johnson cg is a person fav but all the White Mtn NF campgrounds along the route are super. Reservations are probably advised.

Hapgood Pond cg, in Green Mountain NF (VT) is nice. You'll be able to find some Mom & Pop maple syrup places in the area.

Not exactly on the most direct route but you might want to consider Allegheny NF's Buckaloons cg. Has hook-ups and we've enjoyed some nice fall foliage there.

See ForestCamping.com for details. Happy camping.

gauman2

OhiO

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/13 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great information. Thank you all. Would still like to hear more. We had planned on oct 5-12 but now Im thinking that may be to late. And not much fun in a hybrid with snow.

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/13 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gauman2 wrote:

Great information. Thank you all. Would still like to hear more. We had planned on oct 5-12 but now Im thinking that may be to late. And not much fun in a hybrid with snow.

That should be no problem. About the only things that close that early are State Parks.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Planning trip to VT,NH,ME in October. Advice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS