RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: 800 watt harbor freight genny coupon

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 800 watt harbor freight genny coupon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hudsoner wrote:

How many hours would it run on one tank with a load of about 500 watts?

Hudsoner I forget the exact load I used for burn in but think it was about 400 watts which is also the load required for the generator RPM to stay steady. Low loads will mean some surging.

The first tank only lasted about 4 hours but tank five lasted more like 5 hours. I think the 'required' break-in per the manual is KEY to the life of the HF generator.

I did not change the spark plug until about tank number 8 when it would not start. Changed the plug and still no go until we filled the gas tank again.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The HF 800/900 is a little harder to start than the four stroke generators. It is just the nature of the two stroke.

I watch the voltage output on mine. With original settings it was 120v at idle but dropped under load. I tweaked it to about 130v at idle and now it does better at holding 120v under load. The good thing is that it is extremely easy to adjust on the fly. There is an adjustment screw accessible from the top.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wills250psd wrote:

Anyone have a link to the coupon so I can print it out?

Check here, there are new coupons all the time.
http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-Harbor-Freight-Coupon-Thread

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

The HF 800/900 is a little harder to start than the four stroke generators. It is just the nature of the two stroke.

I watch the voltage output on mine. With original settings it was 120v at idle but dropped under load. I tweaked it to about 130v at idle and now it does better at holding 120v under load. The good thing is that it is extremely easy to adjust on the fly. There is an adjustment screw accessible from the top.

Good point. While it sounds more like a moped it will jerk the rope end out of your hand more like a chainsaw. It is a large 2 stroke engine with high compression.

Folks it can be an awesome sub $100 generator and should not be compared to a Honda priced 1000% more expensive.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a decent quality for the price. Don't listen to the people that ***** and moan on here. If you use it at a campsite in the middle of the day for a couple hours, it is perfectly acceptable. Don't use it before 7 or 8 am or after 6 or 7 pm and most reasonable people won't mind.

Some people fail to realize that other people do not have unlimited amounts of money to spend. I am a younger guy, still working, still paying a mortgage, have a young child and don't have $3000 to spend on a generator. Even if I had $3K to spend, it would go in my daughters college fund, not for a top end generator. I have a Champion 4000 watt, mainly for when we lose power during summer storms... but potentially for overnighting at a truck stop on longer trips.

Get what you can afford and will meet your needs, but just be aware of your neighbors and keep your usage reasonable.

2010 Tundra built in the USA by American workers. Consistently the #1 USA made truck since 2007.
1998 Nash 22H travel trailer

Western Sky Ranch

Norco, California, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

I can hear it from here, runs good.

That there's funny!

2003 Ford F250, Super Crew, 4X4, 6.0 Liter Power Stroke Diesel with a Reese hitch.
2008 Carraige Domani DF300 fifth wheel

***And a 2011, Lance 825 Truck Camper!!***

RALLIES ATTENDED 2

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are Yamaha ET800 clones, original design is from the early 1970s. They are fairly reliable (provided you do the fuel/oil mixture right, and replace the spark plug with it with a known, good brand.)

However, I'd be leery of putting electronic items on one. Old fashioned Edison light bulbs, fine. A 120VAC fan, sounds good. However, they do have voltage surges and spikes when loads are applied or taken off which are not good for modern switching power supplies.

For the price of a C-note, they are pretty decent, provided one knows their limitations.

Aurabbit79er

South Bay Area, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV daytrader wrote:

harbor freight 800 watt genny usually on sale for 99.99 with coupon...found a coupon in a magazine for 89.99...going to pick one up...coupon code is 15716895 for anyone interested

I got one too It works great.
I can't run the AC, or microwave, or refrigerator, but it runs my 12V battery charger, it's pretty quiet only 82db.

In all the advancing we can do to improve this world, the sharing of knowledge and wisdom is the most important.
If I post anything that inspires anyone, I did my part.
And If anyone inspires me to try to do better, I thank them now.

bob_b

Souderton, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aurabbit79er wrote:

it's pretty quiet only 82db.

It is a very quiet 82dbs. I realize that statement makes no sense, but you'll understand what I mean when you hear it run.

82db is usually very loud, but as I said earlier, this little 2-stroke operates at a such a pleasantly low rumble that belies its high decible rating. It is no Honda, but it isn't near as loud as most of the low-price generators.

Another upside: You don't have to change the oil or watch the oil level, since the oil is mixed in with the gas.

'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates

rustycopperballs

Four Corners

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at the GC North Rim CG a couple years ago and a young couple with a couple children were next to us and the dad came out and started his HF gen. it was in the back of his truck. It ran what he needed to run, that simple. I was not annoyed by the sound of his gen set. I was curious and went over to it and inspected it. I hadn't seen one before. He said he had it for a couple of years.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 800 watt harbor freight genny coupon
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS