RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: pricing on replacing roof OUCH!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> pricing on replacing roof OUCH!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
squires5

Winthrop, ME

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put calls into two local reputable private rv repair shops to get estimate on roof work. I have a soft spot which has spread to almost a 4 by 4 area (started at about 2x2 area last year) so I need to bite the bullet and address it. Looking at around $3500 to replace the rubber roof and the plywood. Ouch-- I replaced the roof to the house for the same money!
Has anybody done just a half of the roof. The rest is solid with no signs of leaking.

1998 Coachmen Lepracaun 30MB
DH'70&DW'69
DS'96,DS'03,DD'04

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Price seems reasonable considering skills, labor and materials. No competition for RV roof repair work, and work is not the same. Consider selling your rig and applying what you get for it to a newer rig with no leaks.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you found where the water is getting into the MH? If the leak can be stopped the soft spot may never be an issue based on our 8'x8' soft spot that we purchased in 2007 that was due to leaking radio antenna that was removed and the hole patched with Eternabond.

If it has doubled in size it is still leaking I expect.

Trading is a thought. The $3500 bill will not add any value to the MH but will make it easier to find a buyer.

squires5

Winthrop, ME

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased the rig last fall (Sept '11)-- I did get a good deal on it-- I can invest in the roof and still be behind blue book and less than what similar rigs are selling for. Selling and buying another won't necessary save $$. I knew this was coming- I guess I was hoping of different answers. I know the work is not the same as a house and appears to be much more labor intensive as well as technical.

squires5

Winthrop, ME

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the origianl leak was the caulking around the tv antenna. The soft spot was originally isolated to that; I caulked around the antenna and spread the caulking over the area where it was soft.
It has spread though- doubling in size over the last year. So it must either still be leaking somewhere (?) or the rot is spreading.

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was at the tampa rv show this past week,and there was this booth there with a display on spray on roof coatings.My first thought was this is just a thin coating similar to spray on bed liners.However the material was about 1/4" thick and real pliable.I picked up a card as I would consider this if I needed a roof.The web site is rvroof.com.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do not want to fix the leak and bought it that cheap and want a new roof I would just go end to end while I was at it.

How many miles have you put on the chassis since you got it? What will it cost to get it ready for a cross country trip? Has the frig cooling unit been replaced yet?

Just some questions to help determine if another $3500 will get the rest ready for the road after you do the roof.

squires5

Winthrop, ME

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't need anything to be ready for a cross country trip. We are taking it to Florida this spring (3200 miles round trip). The chassis is in great shape with 110K; well maintained- 2 year old tires all around, new shocks, brakes, full tune up at 100K, A/C is cold. The fridge works great, as does everything else.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it sounds like you did get a deal.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At what I've seen of today's prices, the quote you have is actually good, given of course the job is done properly.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> pricing on replacing roof OUCH!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: