|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> 1999 Jayco M-323

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
HeeHawHoney

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am so excited, although, I don't want to get my hopes up too much. I've found a 1999 Jayco M-323 that has 56K miles on it and, from the pics, seems to be in outstanding condition. I'm coming to my friends, here on RV.net, to see what I should be on the lookout for. Other than, roof, leaks, obvious damage, generator, engine, and tires, what else should I look for before making an offer. The lady's husband recently passed away due to an unexpected even and she says she just wants it gone because it makes her sad seeing it every day. So, she is asking about $4K less than low NADA book value. This will be my first RV, and I don't want to get so excited about getting a good deal that I get good and taken and wind up with a money pit that I will regret as my very first RV. I'm going to see it in person on Saturday. Any advice, experiences, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the group. Sounds like you have found an intresting rig. Would take some one along that know some thing about Class C's if you can. Try to spend some time under it looking for oil leaks ect. And check what works and needs work. But reading your post seems you have a grip on the things you need to check.. Good luck.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

mikeleblanc413

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the owner, get the date of her husband's passing and what he died from. Then try to crosscheck somewhere to either prove or disprove. Just a thought.

Mike LeBlanc
Retired Photographer, Art Educator
Travel with "Baby Girl" (Catahoula Mix)
Texas

HeeHawHoney

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snowdance, I have taken your advice and recruited my brother-in-law to go look at it with me. He has a 2013 Thor C Class and has owned several other campers over the years, is something of a perfectionist, and probably as close to an expert on the subject as anyone I would be able to find. In talking to him about it today, he has already suggested checking the water heater, the refrigerator, the inverter, and has the necessary tools and an extra battery to take with us so that we can check the generator and a 5 gallon can of gasoline. The lady had already said that the generator either had a dead battery or there was not enough gas in the tank to get it to crank, she wasn't sure which, but said that it worked the last time they used it. Mike, I don't guess I'm following your train of thought. I'm not sure what I'm trying to prove or disprove, but thanks for the tip. I want this to work out so bad. I'm so happy I could just bounce around like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh!!

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HeeHawHoney wrote:

Snowdance, I have taken your advice and recruited my brother-in-law to go look at it with me. He has a 2013 Thor C Class and has owned several other campers over the years, is something of a perfectionist, and probably as close to an expert on the subject as anyone I would be able to find.

Glad to hear that. Sounds like he knows what he is doing. Good luck... And post pics...

wolvereeny

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure to pick up the cab over bed and check for mold and signs of leaks/rot.

rcpd34

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't put too much stock in the NADA pricing; I've found it to be all over the place. I just sold my Toy hauler for much more than it listed for and also paid a bit more for my Class C. You really need to see what the market is bringing and also in your part of the country. Also, don't add up all the options; just use the base price to negotiate from. Good luck!

Brian
2006 Jayco Talon
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

HeeHawHoney

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I'm getting ready to hit the hay. We are heading out at 10 AM in the morning for a 2 hour ride to take a look at this new adventure. We're taking my brother-in-law's RV for the ride, and the convenience, and probably to make me a little bit jealous...lol. I'm very excited and hoping that I get some decent sleep in spite of feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve. Another curiosity, what kind of roof should I expect to find on this RV? I read on another thread that some have fiberglass, some have rubber, maybe even some have aluminum. I hope I'm not starting a war by asking, but does anyone know if one is better than the other?

HeeHawHoney

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I have good news and bad news. The 1999 Jayco Eagle M-323 didn't pan out. The inside of the RV was just beautiful. It was even better than the pics that we had seen. The problem was that as soon as we pulled up I noticed a great big bubble in the side of the cab-over right above the passenger door. The whole thing was completely covered in pine sap from the trees that it was parked underneath. We went inside and poked around a little and found more water damage on the ceiling in the cab-over area and even more in the closet beside the bed in the back. My brother-in-law climbed up on the roof and stopped about halfway across because he said that the roof was so squishy underneath him that he felt like he might fall through. So, just as I was thinking that my dream had been squashed, my sister suggested going by the camper dealership about 25 miles from where we were. Well, guess what I found!? A 2002 Jayco Granite Ridge 3100SS. It has 20K miles on it, has been kept in a garage, has automatic leveling jacks, most everything on it looks like it has never been used, and I was able to negotiate a price that was equal to low book value for it. I pick it up on Tuesday!

Click for Pics

HeeHawHoney

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outside

Inside

Driver Side

Kitchen

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next