RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Just joined and looking..newbie question

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just joined and looking..newbie question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ZeeLet50

West Seneca, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok so looking to jump from tents to campers.I did own a popup many years ago. Its just me and the woman. We plan on camping about a dozen weekends a year all around the northeast. Gone to a few camping shows and talked to friends with campers so we have a good idea of our needs and wants.I have a 1/2 ton GMC with suspension and tow package. Looking at a >25ft TT. got a few in mind. Is it really possible to get 25% of list? Secondly when going camping without hookups, where do you fill water tanks. I heard its not good to travel with them full.Third is where do you find waste dump places after the weekend?
Be nice as these are newbie questions and if I buy from dealer they will tell but just want to know before hand. Lastly, anyone have good feedback on keystone premier TT?
Great forum BTW!

mrkoje

Great Falls, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZeeLet50 wrote:

Ok so looking to jump from tents to campers.I did own a popup many years ago. Its just me and the woman. We plan on camping about a dozen weekends a year all around the northeast. Gone to a few camping shows and talked to friends with campers so we have a good idea of our needs and wants.I have a 1/2 ton GMC with suspension and tow package. Looking at a >25ft TT. got a few in mind. Is it really possible to get 25% of list? Secondly when going camping without hookups, where do you fill water tanks. I heard its not good to travel with them full.Third is where do you find waste dump places after the weekend?
Be nice as these are newbie questions and if I buy from dealer they will tell but just want to know before hand. Lastly, anyone have good feedback on keystone premier TT?
Great forum BTW!

Can you buy a trailer for 25% of list price? My guess would be NO if you're looking at new one. You might be able to get 25% of the MSRP (Manufacturers Suggest Retail Price) but those numbers are so artificially high most the time that not many dealers even try to sell their trailers at MSRP. You might be able to pick up a 5-6 year old unit and pay essentially 25% of the MSRP for when it was brand new. That might make sense other then that though I'm not sure where you got that information

Water sources are dependent on where you choose to go camping. Holter Lake up here in Montana does not have any hookups but it does have potable water available from a well with a spigot. On the other hand a lot of places I go boon docking have no potable water to "fill" up on. If you are really concerned about not hauling your own water you can either boil water or invest in a fancy water filtration system and get your own water from the lake or creek. (Too much of a pita for me though it does seem handy for extended boon docking trips)

You can travel with full water tanks just fine. It's going to add about 8lbs per gallon of water and that in turn will affect your gas mileage since you're towing more weight. I don't think anyone would actually say it's "not recommended."

Really hauling water is up to you. My brother refuses to haul water in his trailer other than a case of bottle water to drink. We go out and he stinks the next day while I take a nice warm shower. He thinks stinking is worth the extra couple of dollars of gas in his pocket... I on the other hand don't!

* This post was edited 01/21/13 09:19pm by mrkoje *

2014 Desert Fox 29SB - 2013 OutdoorsRV Back Country 26FS (sold)
2013 Ram 2500 CC SWB Longhorn 4WD 6.7L CTD
Polaris 850XP
Many fishing poles and a full load of beer

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are looking at new your best bet is to do much research to get an idea of the true worth of a trailer. Best bet to is to search all over the internet to get a sense of what a specific rig is selling for. Also, get an idea of what you are willing to spend, then spend it. Don't overly sweat saving a few dollars.

When we dry camp, we will fill the rig up with water. Not to worry. But if we are traveling for several days before dry camping we won't fill up until the day before--just to save a little weight. You'll have to find your place to dump. Most private parks will let you dump for a fee. Most state, county or city parks have dumps. Ask around.

The Premier looks like a dolled up Bullet and I wouldn't hesitate recommending it. You will find endless debates about any brand but I think Keystone builds good trailers.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2011 Keystone 23rks Hideout to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/13 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I travel a lot in the N.E. & S.E. all 4 seasons with a lot of dry-camping. I always haul a full tank of water because in the summer, I like showers and in the winter, outside water sources are turned off. During warmer weather, almost any service station has an outside spigot I can draw from while on the road. Most public campgrounds in the east offer access to water even if the faucets are spread around the park. During the winter, I've succeeded in acquiring water from an inside spigot from automotive auto bays at Walmart, Goodyear, Firestone, etc. You'll find RV Dump Stations across the land as well as private campgrounds (expect a fee) during the camping season. There are creative ways to dump during the winter when dump stations are closed. But, I doubt you'll have that issue.
U.S. Campgrounds is an excellent source in locating public campgrounds, developed and primitive, if that's your cup of tea.

RVn Full-time

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/13 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One point in case you missed it. Typically the tongue weight spec on your VEHICLE is 10% of the tow weight. However you need 13% to 15% of the FULLY LOADED TT weight on the tongue.

Example, say your GMC has a tow rating of 7000#. Tongue weight spec is likely 700#. Thus MAXIMUM LOADED TT weight would be 5400#. Most folks add 1000# to the TT UVW, so that means an unloaded weight of 4400#.

If those example numbers make sense, it shows why buying a 7000# UVW TT will be a big no no. Run the numbers for YOUR GMC to see what you can do.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 04:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We typically carried 30 gallons of water in our FW tank (it was a 90G tank) but ran with the black and grays empty. Unless it is winter, in which case we stay at FHU state parks. The water weighs only 240 lbs. and never affected gas mileage. We did this on a long trip or short trip; it allowed us to have water on the road and, if we hit a park with funny water, we didn't have to use it (there was a park in PA with yellow water).

Most parks in the NE have water hook ups and a sewer dump. If in doubt, check on their web page first.

We just sold our Jayco and bought a Keystone Sprinter. Our Jayco was 30+% off list as we bought it when the newer year was coming out and they wanted the previous years version off the lot. Right now, you can find excellent deals on 2012s. Beginning in April or so, you may find good deals on 2013s, depending on the manufacturer's build cycle. We did not get 30% off our Sprinter, which we purchased two weeks ago. If we had purchased a 2012, we probably would have.

We looked at a Premier. If we were only going to camp 12 weekends a year, we may have considered it. It does not seem as solidly built as the Sprinter or Outback line from Keystone. Since we camp an average of 75 nights a year and plan on doing more, we wanted something a little more rugged. But that was our impression, not necessarily based on truth. We camped this weekend in our Sprinter and were very happy with our Keystone product.

2008 Ford F250 diesel
2013 Keystone Sprinter 277RLS

Mike& Rose

Lake & Horse country,Blackstone Valley MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we have a Class C, we put a little water in the tank for use on the road, flushing toilet and hand washing etc. Once we get to the campground we usually get a full hook-up site, so just connect at the site. If no water at site, there are usually a faucet at the check in office. NEVER use the faucet at the dump station for your water tank fill. It is usually posted with a warning. As far as dumping the grey and black tanks if not at full hook up, there are dump stations at most campgrounds. You can also find dump stations on web sites -see clicky-- Dump Station
In the northeast, you may find dump stations in certain towns at their DPW/Sewer Pump Stations. There may be a fee. Along 84 in CT there used to be free dump stations at certain rest areas. Not dependable because they are usually closed or hard to access. At certain events like NASCAR we have used the sanitation pump trucks pump out our tanks (Honey Wagon). There is a fee for them to do this and there is also a water truck to fill your water. We have a campground down the road from our home and we have been told that they let town residents use their dump station. I have never gone there to dump, but I would guess that there is a fee. Some people dump in their home septic system and some towns allow sewer hook ups into the municipal system with proper permits. So there are many options, just depends where you are at the time the tanks fill.

See you on the road!

ZeeLet50

West Seneca, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for all the great info. We are scouring the web and ebooks for any info we can find. I do know if I keep the dry trailer weight below 5000lbs, I should be good with my TV.I have the 5.3 with 6 speed and towing package which has a 9500 towing capacity and 1715 payload max.Hope we can find what we are looking for and within our budget of >18K be it slightly used or new.

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get some prices from RVDirect. they have dealerships in N.Y. and have some of the best prices in the country.
get prices from them on trailers that you like and use them to shop around.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 11:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on what you are looking for it should be do-able. We managed to get our tt ( tax tags, title and Reese dual cam) for 30% of MSRP. Understand that MSRP is not necessarily list price. Some dealers list MSRP and some list closer to what they are willing to sell it for. Do an internet search on the tt you like. Check out rvtrader.com for prices also. In the end if you feel you paid a fair price and the dealership made a fair profit then you got a good deal. I would get them to include a quality wdh w/ integrated sway control (like Reese dual cam or equal-I-zer).

We usually camp with fhu or at least water and electric hook ups so we travel with minimal water in the fresh tank. We keep about 1/3 tank for flushing and washing hands etc. Full tanks are ok but they add weight and depending on location of tank and how you are loaded they can affect your handling. We dump after every trip so as to not haul extra stuff home with us. As others have said, state parks will usually let you dump for a fee. Many parks have a potable water fill spot, just don't confuse it with the yucky hoses at the sewer dump station.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL
Reese Dual Cam

2 nights camped in 2014!
21 nights camped in 2013!
21 nights camped in 2012!
27 nights camped in 2011!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just joined and looking..newbie question