RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Just joined and looking..newbie question

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just joined and looking..newbie question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased our new FW last January for about 31% off list. I checked with RV Connection, RV Direct, etc. and the price they had as "list" was the same pricing at the dealer I finally used. The RV Direct price was a bit lower than the dealer I used, but not enough to make a 1,500 mile trip for. Good advice from bikendan about looking at RV Direct, if you get a price from them, you might be able to negotiate with your dealer and get a little better price. Also might look at RV Wholesaler out of Iowa, I think.

John A. Lichty

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have noted, 25% or more off list is very doable and as mentioned, get quotes from RV Discounters, RV Wholesalers, etc, to get a realistic price.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was able to find a dealer that sold us our TT at close to what RV Wholesalers would, and also gave me a fair allowance for my trade. If you can't get 25% off MSRP the dealer isn't really trying.
Yes you can tow with a full water tank. I've heard it should be either full or empty, a 1/2-full tank sloshes around too much. Your biggest mileage killer is the frontal area on the trailer, not a few hundred pounds of water.
I'm close enough to the sewer cleanout at my house to dump there if I can't dump at a campground. And I've got a 15-gallon plastic barrel mounted in the truck bed to replenish the fresh water when we dry camp.

2013 North Trail 21FBS
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") scab

redavis

Frontenac, KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Your biggest mileage killer is the frontal area on the trailer, not a few hundred pounds of water."

In my opinion, a very accurate statement. I always tow with a full fresh water tank because: 1. may want to use the facilities while on the road. 2. Never know when you may run into water supply problems at a campground. 3. I know what my home water tastes like. I've been in some campgrounds that the water had such a high sulfur content that even a filter wouldn't make it palatable.

If you plan on doing a lot of camping where each site doesn't have an independent water hook-up, you may want to consider something like this. This would allow you to replenish your water supply without having to take the trailer to the water source.

2000 F-350 V-10 Extended Cab Dually
2013 F-450 Diesel Crew Cab Dually
2013 Cougar 5th Wheel

gregrc75

New Bedford, Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my Premier about a year and a half ago. Just a couple of items the dealer fixed in the first year and it has been good since. I wouldn't say it is any more premium over others but it is very light weight and has a solid feel inside. Not sure where you are in the northeast but I bought mine about 4 hours away in Vermont. cant say enough good things about my dealer.

Greg and J
Sam - the Golden Retriever. Ben - the Yellow Lab
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 28RLPR
2012 Nissan Titan SL CC

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/13 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we go up to where we dry camp/ boondock, we always take not only a full 30 gal fresh water tank but a extra 30 gal in jugs so we can stay out two weeks. Honestly it feels no different towing the trailer full or empty.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
Nights camped in 2011 21
Nights camped in 2012 16

ZeeLet50

West Seneca, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/13 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmm still researching a few models and it seems the Keystone Bullet Premier has a premium price compared to other models of same size and amenities. Looking deeper to find out why? Got some great internet prices on North Trail Caliber series. Thanks for all the great advice and answers forum members!

mrkoje

Great Falls, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/13 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JiminDenver wrote:

When we go up to where we dry camp/ boondock, we always take not only a full 30 gal fresh water tank but a extra 30 gal in jugs so we can stay out two weeks. Honestly it feels no different towing the trailer full or empty.

I'm going to start taking extra water with me this year. I'm curious though, how do you get 60 gallons to last you for two weeks?

My TT has a 60gal fresh water tank and I fill it up completely before we head out. I thought I was being conservative with my water usage while boondocking but I still seem to go through about half or more of my water by the 2nd day. I was thinking about getting one of those 60-100 gal water bladders that I read someone talking about on this forum. That way I can get about 3-4 days out of my water supply without having to refill.

2014 Desert Fox 29SB - 2013 OutdoorsRV Back Country 26FS (sold)
2013 Ram 2500 CC SWB Longhorn 4WD 6.7L CTD
Polaris 850XP
Many fishing poles and a full load of beer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Just joined and looking..newbie question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts