RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Is Q Losing It's Lustre??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Is Q Losing It's Lustre??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe lustre is the wrong word but it sure seems that there are problems for Vendors. Q will always be Mecca for RV'rs but I think it is changing. The Big Tent has become a housewares show. More cookware and less RV stuff very year. The other flea markets are much smaller with empty spaces and less interesting items. A guy can only look at so much cheap Chinese junk tools! There are still a few good vendors but even the food choices are less. I spoke with a vendor at the Main event where there was less than half the normal amount of booths. He said the high cost of space rental keeps the vendors away. Last year he said many did not even sell enough product to cover the rent. Are there less RV's in the desert? Hard to tell but I thought it was the same as always. Lower rents and some incentive from the town would sure help.

Moisheh

slumberguy

okanagan canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where and what is"Q"....

Questionably, Darren

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quartzsite

1994 Pace Arrow 33L,454,P30
2oo4 ground up ridgid chopper 120rwhp
http://community.webshots.com/user/oneHD

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Q lost it's luster years ago. There are a few good products and a few good vendors. But there is a lot of snake oil for sale.

Sometimes we go with a club and enjoy watching the people.

We also stop overnight at 88 Shades in the summer because it's a decent park with 50A, oil change station and power washer. Silly Al's for pizza and beer and we're lifetime members of the Yacht Club.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does seem like this is what happens to most good festivals, craft shows, trade shows etc. They start out really nice and end up a mecca for super expensive vacuum cleaners, miracle cleaners, plastic junk, etc. Once that happens they kinda die a slow death. Kinda like the Carisle Car show in Pa., every year seems there were more booths with nothing to do with cars. Used to be a really nice craft show in our home town but slowly became a show of cheap Chinese junk and miracle devices and stuff to drain black junk from your feet?? That craft show is no longer. Hope this don't happen to Q cause I havn't got there yet but I will dang I will.

06 Montana 3000RK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)
10 Cadillac CTS
Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is kind of a self fullfilling prophecy. The vendors get a little greedy and start to raise prices. The licensing people want their money, so they raise fees. Once the inevitable fall in sales due to the higher prices begin, the dealers start to slip away. The entity licensing the booths doesn't have the ability to move away, but they don't want to take in less money (especially if it is a government, they have committed all that money forever, never considering the goose may quit laying golden eggs) so they raise prices. Higher booth prices mean even less vendors, those vendors have less competition so they try to raise prices, but buyers have a little savvy, so they just don't pay retail plus for junk. Those vendors look for greener pastures and they cycle repeats. Booth prices rise, mechandise prices rise, sales fall, vendors leave. The government will never, ever lower their prices, because the unwashed public they "serve" will never go for giving big business a "break". So the spiral continues until equilibrium is reached which is a few vendors selling overpriced stuff paying way too much for a booth but going back year after year out of force of habit. The event has fallen off the radar for most vendors, so what you see is what you are going to get.

DaveG39

Goleta, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this has been changing for a few years. We didn't even bother to go this year.

2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been spending part or all the winter in Bouse (about 25 miles north of Q) for ten years. The number of people has been declining the last few years with this year seeming to be the worst year. One vendor told me it has become a one month affair (January)and that many vendors can't make enough money in one month to justify being here.

I know this year the BLM area north of Q on Plomosa Road had less than 100 (estimate) RVs between the ridge and RT 95 the week before the show. About three weeks before that I counted less than 30 RVs in that area. The area right next to the camp host site right off 95 wasn't filled up two weeks ago and that is usually full long before that. Even Hi Jolly was nowhere near full two or three weeks ago.
The RV park we stay in has a bunch of open sites and I haven't seen that happen ever.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

MarkieBob

Burlington, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year was our first year at Q. We enjoyed it probably because it was new. DW wanted to perhaps sell her craft there next year and we wanted to see that part of the show. NO CRAFT SHOW, NO CRAFTS was what we found. And I agree with the above comments--cheap Chinese junk we could find anywhere. Nothing special. We're not rock hounds, but I couldn't understand how the vendors absolutely loaded with ROCKS could sell them, especially by the pound!

CLAY-- we camped onn Plomosa road last year! And we drove "around the block" thru Bouse. I thought about camping in their RV park as it was next to a pub that advertised $1.50 pounders & hamburgers (my favorite combination). Have you been there?

2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
1994 Weekender 9.5' truck camper
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

USARMYCW

Right here

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See this.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6