RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: how to - sewer hookups?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> how to - sewer hookups?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

flyweed wrote:

Meaning, when I pull into a site, and we connect, do I keep the blade valves OPEN all the time when connected to a sewer connection, or do I just open and DUMP when the holding tank is full??

NO. Keep ALL the valves closed. Your toilets are "drop" toilets. They drop straight into the holding tank. They need water in the tank to prevent pyramids.

Quote:

Also, for camping where they don't have sewer connections on each site..I assume that one of those portable "blue" tanks comes in handy, so when full, you don' have to haul your camper up to the dumping station, and then back to the site..you can just pull the blue tank up and dump it.

Be careful with this one. If you should get distracted while the blue tank is filling you may overfill the tank and the tube ends up holding sewage as well. You have little options when this happens. None are good.

Quote:

So...how do you move those blue tanks, once they are full? Can you connect them to your hitch and pull them up the dump site?

Again, sorry for some dumb questions...but these have been floating around in my head, and not sure how to do this.

Dan

NO dumb questions here. You can move your RV to the dump station (most have one even with full hookups) or use the Blue tote tanks. Some Blue totes have a handle that will hook over a bumper pull ball. Others just a handle for a human to pull.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 26.0.1

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple more thoughts.

You do not need to hook up your sewer hose as soon as you get to the campsite. It can wait until you need to dump a tank.

You do not need a blue tote. We have been RVing for 7 years now without one. I cannot see buying one now.

We have a C and do not tow. The longest we have gone without hook-ups is 5 days with 5 adults. Knowing we did not have hook-ups, we did use the campground facilities as well as our own. We do not mind using campground facilities, I know some here prefer to only use their own.

Cool Canuck

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One little trick. If you leave your grey valves open, sewer gas can travel up though your hose, tanks and the vent stack. You may notice this odor around your trailer. Put something under your sewer hose to raise a section to act as a P stop and create a water dam. That will stop the gasses from traveling up and out.

04 Everest 343L
2011 F250 PSD CC

SOLD - 01 F250 PSD S/C S/B
SOLD - 00 Jayco 313

raytronx

Traveling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave my grey and black tanks valves closed and open only when dumping. The reason I leave the grey closed also is it would suck if the sewer hose failed and I didn't realize and release a bunch of grey water into the neighbors site. So for piece of mind I make sure I'm there when the tanks are draining.

Love Your RV Blog

Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE - 1994 Ford F350 7.3l IDI DRW

drae0814

Sunny Cal

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 12:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I miss the old pup we did have the cassett toilet and shower in our so dumping was always easy eather on the site if there was sewer on in a near by restroom heading out of the park. Now that your going to to a real TT things get alittle bit more fun. Like you i had no ideal the RV place gave me a little 5ft hose when we bought our 32foot TT need less to say it was a pice of crap. On our first camp i had to head back 30 miles to Walmart for a real sewer hose that was longer and had the right clamp fitting because our TT is 32ft and sewer hookup was on the back end of my TT. Most places we camp have water and sewer hookup near the middle of the camp site my sewer hook up is on the rear of the RV so i need a double hose most of the time. Good luck and hook it up before you head out to camp you will learn quick. Their are some really cool video's on youtube they will show you all you need to know on sewer hook up. Goodluck and have fun

enjoy life while you can

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab
03 Fleetwood Prowler 31G LS North West Edition
Draw Tite Weight Distribution ans Sway Unit
90885 Prodigy Break Controller

Helmsey

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I generally don't hook my sewer hose up until we leave. Being weekenders mainly, we can go a long weekend without needing to dump.
As others have stated, always leave the black tank closed to prevent any buildup in the tank. The grey tank is a personal preference thing. I our previous trailer (smaller grey tank) I would usually hook up the hose when we got there and leave it open. If I did that , I would always close it the night before we left, as others have said to have something to clean the hose out after dumping the black tank.
Two things I don't think I saw mentiond:
- Always dump the black tank first. This will allow you to use the grey water to was out the sewer hose.
- I always attach the sewer hose to the CGs connection first. This has saved me when I have taken the cap off the sewer connection on the RV and there was som surprise grey water waiting for me. Since it was already connected on the other end, it had someplace to go. Other wise if you use your hose to catch what is dripping it could go directly on the ground if there is enough of it.
For the blue tote, cant really help there as we don't have one..

KK4PFX
2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Days camped in 2012: 34
Days camped in 2013: 30
Days camped in 2014: 5

wborst

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other point that needs to be mentioned about using a black tank:--- Always add a LOT of water after using the toilet. Ta least another bowl full. Water in the black tank is your friend. This will assure that everything empties out when you dump.

Happy camping with your new TT.

Brenda, Bill and our little dog Madison
2007 Pilgram Legends 31RE3SLF-5
2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 w/Cummins Turbo Diesel

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drae0814 wrote:

...Now that your going to to a real TT things get alittle bit more fun. Like you i had no ideal the RV place gave me a little 5ft hose when we bought our 32foot TT need less to say it was a pice of crap. On our first camp i had to head back 30 miles to Walmart for a real sewer hose that was longer and had the right clamp fitting .....

Boy does that bring back memories!

I can't believe that after what we pay for these RV's they STILL only provide that useless TOO SHORT to reach anything, CHEAP sewer hose.

Yup, to the OP....first thing you need to do before you hit the road is buy a REAL sewer hose.

My advice is to buy the Rhino collapsible hose kit instead the cheap stinky slinky ones. You won't regret it. Can be found at Walmart. Buy the complete kit one because at some CG's you are required to use a donut or sealed connection. OR they will gladly provide you a cheap rubber donut for big bucks! before you can enter the CG!

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What everybody else said.

You were very wise to ask; you have thus avoided the poop pyramid.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

tundraman67

Brandon, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure when using a blue tote that you check with the park prior to using it - some parks do not allow you to use them. Most Florida state parks stipulate you can use them for gray water but not black so I always check. Like others I always leave mine shut until it is really necessary to dump. It won't take you long to figure out what to do, and there will definitely be enough people around the dump station to help out. My first dump station experience looked like the movie RV...5 guys trying to give me pointers.

Tundraman67
2007 Tundra DC 5.7
2012 Keystone Cougar Xlite 29RES

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> how to - sewer hookups?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts