RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Some 5th wheels actually advertise R-38 ceiling/floor.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Some 5th wheels actually advertise R-38 ceiling/floor.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For radiant barriers to achieve high R values, they require an air space on at least one side. Sometimes the air space must be a dead air space of significant thickness, like the 6 to 10 inches available in typical house rafters (something not available in RVs). And a dead air space means no air flow, rather than a leaky air space.

In RVs, this stuff is used in slide outs where it is in direct contact on both sides. Same thing when used in an RV ceiling. Here is what Reflectix says about these situations.

Question "What if There is No Air Space Present on Either Side of the Product?"
Answer "No Air Space = No Reflective Insulation Benefit
(An R-1.1 is provided from the product itself for the Reflective/Double Bubble material.) "

When used in an underbelly, it is frequently in direct contact with the belly liner and an air space above, but it is not a dead air space if there are holes thru the main frame rails for the slide outs, etc and holes thru the floor for wires and plumbing.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'11 CrossRoads Cruiser CF32MK loaded
Rig Photos

JEBar

Willow Springs, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dometic offers free use of their "Extreme temperature testing chamber" to RV manufactures in which they test and certify lines of campers by the way they handle temps from 0 to 100 degrees .... its one thing for manufactures to create an impression through advertising which emphases a given R rating and another to prove the effectiveness of their lines .... folks looking for a new camper who place a high value on insulation would be wise to ask prospective dealers for the results of the test .... if they don't have such info that would tend to indicate either their camper wasn't submitted or it did poorly .... either way, that should tell the prospective buyer something

Jim

'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A point to consider, is it doesn't help a lot if the rig is R38 ceiling/floor and R24 walls, if the rig is built so sloppy it leaks around the windows, door, slides, etc.

Shop for how tight the rig is.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if the air conditioner ducting leaks air into the ceiling cavity (like mine) it is all for naught.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Greentreena

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't want to spend more than a few days winter camping, which is what we do. I have a "winter" RV that is suppost to be well insulated, it is ok. The condensation is bad on the windows. I wouldn't want to live in these conditions. A much better plan is to tow it somewhere warm in the winter!

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids and Murphy the dog

topjimmy

west coast usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 12:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have lived fulltime in wet and cold winter condtions for 3 years now in the NW, matter of fact it has been in the low 20's for a week + now..NO PROBLEM, just have a dehumidifier in the living area and keep the roof vent in the bedroom open a crack and their is almost zero mold or condensation on the windows, we are as snug as a bug in a rug even in a 40ft 5th with 4 slides and 8 1/2 ft ceilings (thats alot of space to heat} the newer 5th's are ALOT better insulated than the old ones and when I mean old I'm talking early mid 2000's our "old" one was a 2003 and i can feel a big difference from our 2012

* This post was last edited 01/23/13 12:40am by topjimmy *   View edit history

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say BULL. Owens Corning high density foam is R 10 for two (2) inches Johns Mansville is R4.1 for their best insulsafe. I can't see almost 2 ft ceiling to roof.

bailer6334

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful. Not all R values are created equal. Went to a Foresr River Blue Ridge and it was advertised to have better R values than the Arctic Fox we traded for it. Spent the winter in Phoenix and the thing was cold & drafty. Traded it back for a Arctic Fox. I know they are tight! So far this year even in 20+ degree weather (yes even in Phoenix) we have been warm and toasty. In most cases you get what you pay for. Look at Cedar Creek, Montana, Bighorn and Cardinals. Might find them in your price range.

2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th Wheel
2011 Silverado HD 3500 6.6L Duramax Diesel Crew Cab
Short Bed 4X4 SRW LT
50gal Transfer Flow Aux. Tank
16K Valley Hitch w/bed saver

Slownsy

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not that it don't work if used properly. What they do is taking itch item sepretly say 1/8" fiberglas, 1/8 " ply 2" foam reflective foil and ad the figers all to gether, but that is not how it works in reall life when aded all together.

Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right from the Mobile Suites brochure.

Total roof R25

Total sidewall R16

Total floor R29

I think someone is feeding you a line!

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Some 5th wheels actually advertise R-38 ceiling/floor.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS