|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> aluminum siding vs. gelcoat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you mean Gelcoat or Filon sided TT? Most of the smooth sided TTs you see are Filon sided TTs. Most MHs you see are Gelcoat sided. Winnebago uses Gelcoat on their TTs. Winnebago One TT

I like a Gelcoat TT. Any boat repair shop can repair any damage to the Gelcoat.

* This post was edited 01/22/13 06:33pm by miltvill *

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, 3.73 rear end, tow package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer Hitch.
Trail Cruiser TC23QB

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned both - they have their pluses and minuses like anything in life. This topic has been previously discussed very heavily and a search will show some of the long (and very informative posts).

Best of luck in whichever you choose.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

JBarca

Dublin, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go with Aluminum look for what they call Krystal Kote finish. It is a hard finish that is put on the siding. It makes it very scratch and dent resistant.

Last summer my camper was in a large hail storm. My brother lost his wife's brand new Acrida SUV in it it pounded so bad. After the storm was over I went to look at the camper. I walked around the entire camper and WOW, no damage. Well that was until the sun came out. I have a piece of non Krystal Kote siding down the center of the camper. The decals are mounted on it. That 6" wide strip is peppered up pretty heavy. However the siding above and below that went through the same hail storm did not show anything. I'm sold on it.

Here is the hail

Here is the peppered siding.
It is hard to show up in the pic. It is on the decal strip. Above and below are the Krystal Kote

Sunline used it on their aluminum campers. I have seen it advertized on other brands as well. You also do not have to wax the Krystal Kote.

Hope this helps

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read that you will get better fuel economy with a Fiberglass. Can't remember where I read it and have nothing to back it up, but I have read that.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Passport. According to their website it is Gelcoat Filon. I just waxed all 32 feet of it...Made me miss my old aluminum one because it was only 25 feet with no slide, but the Passport sure is easy to maitain and shine up. Since I have owned it I have waxed it twice (less than a year) Just want to keep it from fading.

Mike
2002 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0 Crew Cab long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

SuwanneeDave

Savannah

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In general, aluminum siding is found on lower quality units, called "stick and tin" construction in the industry.

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not many trailers have true gel-coat exteriors, most ar Filon which really is more like a plastic sheet than actual fiberglass.

Our Komfort is Filon, easier to seal, wash, wax, generally easier to maintain.
Our old Nomad was alum skinned, I had to rebuild the front wall after a leak which is WAY easier with the alum skin, just start at the bottom and each section comes apart revealing the framing, insulation etc.

Some filon trailers delaminate, you get bubbles forming between the filon and the luan back board when water seeps in, makes for a much harder, costlier repair.
Each has pros and cons.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line

dspencer

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I know one of you said do the gel coat and get a buffer, i have a buffer for my hybrid which has the filon or gel coat which ever it is. I truthfully don't know which it is either. I'm actually looking at both a pre-owned 2010 Jayco 26BH and a new 2013 Gray Wolf 26BH which are both pretty much identical on the floor plan. The Gray wolf has the aluminum siding on the sides and the gel coat on the front ends for what ever reason. Then we looked at a couple other that has the gel coats. I'm actually leaning towards the 10 Jayco 26BH which has the aluminum. It sounds like as far as the siding goes its pretty much which ever you like.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the looks of a gel coat better as they are smooth looking,but I have the aluminium siding and to make it look good, I go to the car wash and stop in the truck bay and use the wax that comes out of the wand. it keeps the sides of the aluminium siding look brand new all the time. and if you have to know, if you get a TT the same size in gel coat it is at least 500 lbs hevier than the metal sides

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 29 foot Filon over aluminum travel trailer is 4650 pounds DRY. I am currently in a park in Florida and my neighbor has an aluminum trailer. While his trailer is very clean, it doesn't shine like my gelcoat.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> aluminum siding vs. gelcoat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS