RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Odometer jumped 10,000 miles for no reason on my Class C

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Odometer jumped 10,000 miles for no reason on my Class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
YodaRules

North Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was taking pictures today as I'm thinking of selling my 2000 31' Coachmen Leprechaun. It's on a Ford E450, V-10 chassis and thinking the low mileage would be a good selling point. I purchased it in Spring of 2012 with 36,543 miles (hat is on the title). Since then I've had work done and the odometer was recorded in October 2012 as 10/18/12 as 36,685.

On my last trip out somehow it flipped the 3 to a 4 making the mileage as 48,989 instead of what should be 38,989 (as most I've kept logs).

Is there anything that can be done to get it back? I'm scared to press anything for fear it will increase the digits.

Thanks,

Patsy
Florida

No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try! --Yoda

2000 Coachmen Leprechaun
Rock hunting, prospecting, star gazing, photography are just a few of my favorite things.

grandpaswagon

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this an analog or digital speedo?

dodgerdog

Whittier California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can take it to a speedo shop and have them reset it but you might want to talk to the mfg first to see if there are anny issues with the speedometer....

Mike C.

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've only driven it 2,400 miles in a year? You need to go camping

Seriously, write down your trips you took, mapquest your mileage and sse if your numbers make sense. 2,400 miles seems low but certainly could be right while 12,400 seems way too high for a typical year but I have no idea your camping/RV routine.

DR Buck

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YodaRules wrote:

.......... I purchased it in Spring of 2012 with 36,543 miles (hat is on the title). Since then I've had work done and the odometer was recorded in October 2012 as 10/18/12 as 36,685.

You only drove 142 miles the entire summer (spring until October)? Something doesn't sound right.

Also be careful what you do with the odometer settings, I believe resetting them is a crime punishable with jail time.

2003 Ford F350 SRW 7.3L Diesel
Sumo Springs
Bilstein Shocks
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200
2012 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a 2000 10k extra miles may not make much difference to the value.

Jim

YodaRules

North Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DR Buck wrote:

You only drove 142 miles the entire summer (spring until October)? Something doesn't sound right.

Also be careful what you do with the odometer settings, I believe resetting them is a crime punishable with jail time.

It was garaged in Florida and I was in NC until July. It's been a tough year as I was the care-giver for my Mom. She passed away in October -- that is why there was only 142 miles.

The odometer is the old kind that numbers roll and I know it's illegal to reset them. It's just evidently a problem made the difference and I was in hopes the problem could be corrected -- not simply rolled back.

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/13 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! I didn't think they still had analog odometers then. I was ready to bet that you bumped the button that changes it from miles to kilometers but apparently that's not it. Its going to be next to.impossible to get that straightened out. Sorry.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

stubblejumper

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The old way years ago ( so I am told .... as I would never do so ) was to take the speedo cable off the transmission end, hook it to an electric drill and run it backwards until you reached the desired reading. Somewhere along the line, not sure what year, they geared them so that they would not turn backwards with a catch something like what is on the balance wheel on a watch.

No I was never a used car salesman!!

1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/13 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Stubble noted, his "method" no longer works.

But, I have a question, was there any hint of a line above or below the miles, before the "change". If so, it is possible the a previous owner used one of the, more, ah, modern methods to roll 10,000 miles off, and it showed back up now.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Odometer jumped 10,000 miles for no reason on my Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS