RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Odometer jumped 10,000 miles for no reason on my Class C

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Odometer jumped 10,000 miles for no reason on my Class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
YodaRules

North Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

The rub is the mileage now days is also "recorded" by the GEM computer or body/engine control computer. It is possible that the speedo may have been "updated" by the GEM with the "real" mileage.

Reading that helps a little -- My mechanic had to send off and refurbish the computer when doing some work (would not go past 43 miles per hour). I have record of the lower mileage when taking the RV in as it's on the work order; however, to be honest didn't check the mileage after picking up the repaired RV. Not sure the mechanic would have noticed (if there was a change) the odometer as I sure didn't.

Patsy

No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try! --Yoda

2000 Coachmen Leprechaun
Rock hunting, prospecting, star gazing, photography are just a few of my favorite things.

YodaRules

North Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/13 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update on my problem/situation:

I decided to order a instaVin report just to see what the odometer reading was on each new title application. To my surprise (or maybe not) the odometer had been rolled back, stopped working or had a major issued sometime around 2005!

As Florida does not keep mileage records in database after 10 years and I'm thinking when it was sold in July 2010 is when something was done. It was sold then to the person I bought it from in July 2012. On my title, the odometer reading is less than when it was sold in 2003 (it readds 36,543).

A lesson learned to go forward with..... when thinking of buying a "low mileage" RV -- fork out $6.95 and run a report!

Report shows:
01/14/00 736 miles
12/03/03 37,962 miles (information is from a new title)
08/03/05 39,201 miles (again sold and new title)
07/06/10 Exempt (again sold and new title in Florida)
07/30/12 Exempt (sold to me, titled in FL - odometer showed 36,543)

Patsy

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/13 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Patsy thinks for that update and reminder to us all.

retired-tech

flint mi

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/13 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mechanical ododmeter cannot simply change to milage that is stored so deep in the computer that it is nearly imposible to get to. that odometer works the same way as a cable driven one, just has a little motor to make it go instead of being cable driven off the trans. they are a very simple device. the motor drives the first number and when it get to a certain spot it "grabs" the next one and turns it a notch. whent the second one gets to the right spot it grabs the next one and so on and so on. something is broken in the odometer and letting it move incorrectly. You would have to send it out for repairs which would likely be $250-300 if you take it out. more than what the difference will make on your sale price. and yes it is illegal for you to "work" on it. I have seen them do lots of things, had a couple of chevy trucks that would go backwards while driving. simply inform buyer that there is some sort of malfunction and go on with life.

2000 K3500 CCLB DRW 6.5 TURBO
2009 Cougar 320 SRX
2007 atlas 24 auto hauler
1987 GMC origional low miles

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YodaRules wrote:

Update on my problem/situation:

I decided to order a instaVin report just to see what the odometer reading was on each new title application. To my surprise (or maybe not) the odometer had been rolled back, stopped working or had a major issued sometime around 2005!

As Florida does not keep mileage records in database after 10 years and I'm thinking when it was sold in July 2010 is when something was done. It was sold then to the person I bought it from in July 2012. On my title, the odometer reading is less than when it was sold in 2003 (it readds 36,543).

A lesson learned to go forward with..... when thinking of buying a "low mileage" RV -- fork out $6.95 and run a report!

Report shows:
01/14/00 736 miles

Patsy

Google is your friend. When you sell you may to have to fill out one of these (or a different FL odometer form. You can do a detailed search):
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/82993.pdf

Look at the back of the title to see what it says about odometer discrepancies. You may have to record it there.

If the repair shop agrees with you about the 10,000 mile difference, they may be willing after the fact to give you an affidavit that the discrepancy is the result of their repair work.

Edit your ad to list the real mileage as well as the odometer mileage. State that the discrepancy is due to it being repaired and not reset at the time of servicing - and that the necessary documentation and FL state forms will be provided by the seller.

If the buyer knows that the discrepancy is legitimate and documented, as opposed to from tampering, then it should not scare them away.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

YodaRules

North Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/13 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gotsmart wrote:

YodaRules wrote:

It was sold then to the person I bought it from in July 2012. On my title, the odometer reading is less than when it was sold in 2003 (it readds 36,543).

Report shows:
01/14/00 736 miles

Patsy

Edit your ad to list the real mileage as well as the odometer mileage. State that the discrepancy is due to it being repaired and not reset at the time of servicing - and that the necessary documentation and FL state forms will be provided by the seller.

If the buyer knows that the discrepancy is legitimate and documented, as opposed to from tampering, then it should not scare them away.

I used the new and updated mileage in my RV advertisements and will just explain the situation then show the prospective buyer the Report I have.

Did speak with the mechanic and he doesn't want to take any type or responsibilty for odometer changes... so that's out.

Patsy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Odometer jumped 10,000 miles for no reason on my Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS