RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tracer or Kodiak TT?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tracer or Kodiak TT?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dlbeck23

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for your input. One more question. I'll be towing this camper 90% of the time to local campgrounds with a Toyota Tacoma rated to 6500lbs. For longer trips I have access to an F150. I've been told a lot of different things on the kind of hitch for the Tacoma. Thoughts?

Thanks again.

David

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dlbeck23 wrote:

Thanks to all for your input. One more question. I'll be towing this camper 90% of the time to local campgrounds with a Toyota Tacoma rated to 6500lbs. For longer trips I have access to an F150. I've been told a lot of different things on the kind of hitch for the Tacoma. Thoughts?

Thanks again.

David
Is that right, 6500 lbs. towing capacity? I'm looking at the 2013 capacities and it is 3500 lbs. with standard cab/V8/ and towing package. The GCWR is 7500 lbs. and the truck weighs 3250. I think the 6500 lbs. is wrong. Heck, my 4x4 F-250 CC is rated to 6900 lbs.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dlbeck23

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Checked the specs again and with the 4x4 V6 with towing package it says 6400lbs. Hope that's right.

rightyouareken

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds about right. My 2012 Tacoma v6 4x4 double cab long bed had a tow rating of 6300 or so. The tricky thing with the Tacoma will be payload and hitch weight limit. My Tacoma had only 1100 lbs payload and they all have 600 lbs hitch weight max even with a wd hitch. So watch that hitch weight. Pretty much any good wd hitch should do you well.

I think a 28 foot trailer is way too big for the Tacoma though. My truck felt barely adequate with a 20 foot Lance 1685, though it handled well. I would shoot for a dry weight as close to 3500 lbs and no more than 23 feet long if you have the long bed model with 140" wheelbase. Shorter if you have the short bed.

2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

mister_d

Southeast, MI - hardly qualified to be a

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are very happy with our Prime Time Inc. product so I'd recommend the Tracer. They do NOT offer a 2nd year warranty on their units except for one of their 5th wheel lines however they will bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied. Kodiak is a great product also but I've never owned one.

Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

kodiakcanuck

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't say much about the Tracer because I dont know much about them, but I have been happy with both Kodiak's I've owned. Any problems I did have, Dutchmen was quick to help.

2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L - at last, a HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mister_d wrote:

We are very happy with our Prime Time Inc. product so I'd recommend the Tracer. They do NOT offer a 2nd year warranty on their units except for one of their 5th wheel lines however they will bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied. Kodiak is a great product also but I've never owned one.

This must have changed then because they had a 2 yr limited warranty on tracers when we were shopping. Also primetime is owned by forest river who offers a second year warranty for an extra fee.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS - 5 nights camped
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

texasclarks

Morgantown, WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anaro wrote:

mister_d wrote:

This must have changed then because they had a 2 yr limited warranty on tracers when we were shopping. Also primetime is owned by forest river who offers a second year warranty for an extra fee.

I would pass on the second year warranty as almost all other things are covered by their own warranty. Forest River has been great with service on our TT.

Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

mister_d

Southeast, MI - hardly qualified to be a

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

texasclarks wrote:

anaro wrote:

mister_d wrote:

I would pass on the second year warranty as almost all other things are covered by their own warranty. Forest River has been great with service on our TT.

The second year warranty through Forest River is not an option with Prime Time products. Prime Time does include a second year warranty as a standard option on their Sanibel 5th Wheel trailers.

For more information on their products, the President of the company frequently visits the Forest River Forums and answers ALL questions straight up. The forums there aren't nearly as busy as here but they are filled with important information and shouldn't be missed.

kend40

canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm waiting on my new Kodiak. Cant find anyone saying anything bad about them!

Kend40
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost TV
2013 Kodiak 242rbsl TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tracer or Kodiak TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts