RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: 100+$ campground

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to go to Castaways several times a year. Last year they jacked the prices and also had a ton of upcharges. We quit going. We go to Assateague off season. Only problem with Assateague is that in season there is no elec and I have to have a/c or I can't breathe when it's hot out. You can run the generator during the day, but they have quiet time overnight.

Took the grandson to FL this past summer for 3 weeks - and we paid less CG fees for 3 weeks than one week would have cost at Castaways.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

bigmurf

Anywhere,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to know how you call a $100 a night park a "campground"? At what point does it become a "rv park" ?

Fulltimers
2004 Montana 3655FL, Trailair pinbox and Center Pivot air ride, Disc Brakes
2004.5 Dodge 3500 Dually, 6spd, Edge Juice, RS9000, Pressure Pro System, AFE, Jake Brake, Balance Masters, Mag-Hytec, Oil Guard bypass filter.

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

D & M wrote:

Price is relative. I'm sure people can find a nice little Mom & Pop trailer park in Pigs Knuckle, AK for 20 bucks a night.
Nothing wrong with places called akin to "Pigs Knuckle" or anything else. Let's leave snobbery out of this and look strictly at the facilities vs price which is what the OP queried.

Not sure if your post is meant in jest or not.. but, for me - snobbery has nothing to do with it. Heck, rr2254545 earlier on the thread mentioned it - it's all about location, location, location.

My reading of the poster's reference to "Pigs Knuckle, AK" was meant to imply "the middle of nowhere" vs. Castaways which is miles from the ocean in a resort town.

* This post was edited 01/23/13 03:08pm by ependydad *

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

magnusfide wrote:

D & M wrote:

Price is relative. I'm sure people can find a nice little Mom & Pop trailer park in Pigs Knuckle, AK for 20 bucks a night.
Nothing wrong with places called akin to "Pigs Knuckle" or anything else. Let's leave snobbery out of this and look strictly at the facilities vs price which is what the OP queried.

Not sure if your post is meant in jest or not.. but, for me - snobbery has nothing to do with it. Heck, rr2254545 earlier on the thread mentioned it - it's all about location, location, location.

My reading of the poster's reference to "Pigs Knuckle, AK" was meant to imply "the middle of nowhere" vs. Castaways which is miles from the ocean in a resort town.

Exactly!

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (the Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

Dear McDonald's, Thank you for not selling hot dogs. I don't think I could order a McWiener with a straight face.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

It's all in the context. "Middle of nowhere" isn't middle of nowhere to some of us. Let's keep the snobbery out of it.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/13 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

ependydad wrote:

It's all in the context. "Middle of nowhere" isn't middle of nowhere to some of us. Let's keep the snobbery out of it.

There is no snobbery. Get a life!

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/13 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even with location, one would be surprised at the rate disparity in an area. One place can be $35 a night, have some grassy patches separating campsites, and offer a quiet night's sleep because a pond separates you from the road. Another place on the same stretch of highway can be right by the tarmac, have much higher rates, and feel like sardine alley with nothing but air and a couple pebbles separating your rig from the neighbor's.

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

ependydad wrote:

Sigh, I tried to send you a PM on this.. I've rarely been called snobby. I'm honestly confused how referring to the "middle of nowhere" is offensive? Is it because of the (in jest) reference to "Pigs Knuckles, AK"? Is it the statement in general?

I guess let me try and rephrase...

The location of the campground is one of many factors in determining its price and if people will pay for it. The fact that Castaways is minutes from the ocean in a resort town allows it to charge a higher fee versus "other areas with less immediate amenities that appeal to a broad base of consumers and may or may not be within a short drive of major metropolitan areas". Ocean City, MD is a few short hours from south-central Pennsylvania and the Baltimore and Washington, DC metro areas.

Fair? Is it lacking the level of snobbery that you requested?

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

magnusfide wrote:

ependydad wrote:

Sigh, I tried to send you a PM on this.. I've rarely been called snobby. I'm honestly confused how referring to the "middle of nowhere" is offensive? Is it because of the (in jest) reference to "Pigs Knuckles, AK"? Is it the statement in general?

I guess let me try and rephrase...

The location of the campground is one of many factors in determining its price and if people will pay for it. The fact that Castaways is minutes from the ocean in a resort town allows it to charge a higher fee versus "other areas with less immediate amenities that appeal to a broad base of consumers and may or may not be within a short drive of major metropolitan areas". Ocean City, MD is a few short hours from south-central Pennsylvania and the Baltimore and Washington, DC metro areas.

Fair? Is it lacking the level of snobbery that you requested?
Isn't wanting amenities a definition of snobbery? Saying things like beaches a short drive from major metro areas add to value is just a short step from saying finger bowls, wine stewards and butlers are required for a quality dining experience. Now go have your doorman summon your Rolls and driver and have a nice day. Don't forget your to wear your white gloves and tails.

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/13 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Isn't wanting amenities a definition of snobbery? Saying things like beaches a short drive from major metro areas add to value is just a short step from saying finger bowls, wine stewards and butlers are required for a quality dining experience. Now go have your doorman summon your Rolls and driver and have a nice day. Don't forget your to wear your white gloves and tails.

LOL. I did camp next to a couple who had 2 sites - one for their million-dollar-plus motorhome; the second for their matching car trailer that held their Mercedes SUV and was where their paid driver slept when he wasn't making meals and doing other camp activities (hookups, dumping tanks, etc.). Maybe a bit of their snobbery rubbed off on me!

That said, I said it helps define their price, not value.

Take my house and lot for instance - if you move it 1 hour north of me, it drops in price by a good 1/3. If you move it 1 hour south and west of me, it would rise in price by a good 1/3. Exact same everything - it's all about location.

Snobby still?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS