|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> OOOP's Brush fell in black Tank

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Most toilets drop the waste onto a pipe where it makes a 90 degree turn before going into the black tank. The brush may just be right at the bottom and within easy reach, with a small hand, like a wife would have.

And I'll bet you know about that little hand from seeing the middle finger fairly often, right?

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

aslakson

Fulltiming in the Lower 48

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd flush the tank. If the brush head doesn't come out, call All Pro Water Flow - there are operators almost everywhere. They'll use their pressure washer gizmo to get everything out of the tank. Cost you around $200, but at least you'll know that there are no obstructions - and you'll get a totally cleaned out tank.

al

Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 44 of the lower 48 so far.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pbitschura wrote:

midnightsadie wrote:

harbor freight has the camera not bad on price .have fun .things do happen and now you have a camp fire story.
Don't waste your money on a piece of******camera. Read the reviews. A flexible parts retriever can be bought at any auto parts store or on the cheap, a coat hanger should work. Good luck.
I can't even see into my tank from the toilet!!! Not a straight shot down!!! Would need that "piece of******camera" to see the end of the retriever and the item I was trying to retrieve.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While the OP didn't state, I assume the brush is actually the end of one of the Clorox Toilet Wands. Those are the worst devices as the disconnect is on the handle and it takes very little to release the brush end. Assuming I'm correct, removal is a two step process....

First, flood your black tank and open the toilet valve. If you're lucky it will float to the toilet opening where you can retrieve it. If you're unlucky, it will rise up into the vent pipe. Do this first as you don't want it to get hung up in the lower plumbing. If this fails, go to step two.

Step Two: Make sure you have a clear end attached to your sewer hose so you can observe that little sucker when it passes. Open the black valve fully. I would go to the dump station as they usually have a concrete area with a small wall to contain any spilled sewage. Leave your black hose laying on the concrete and open the valve fully and watch for the brush end to pass. Be sure to clean up the area when you're done. A cheap bottle of bleach will work but be sensitive to the sewer system. I prefer something like simple green. Once the brush end is out, clean and flush your tank as you would normally. Be sure to read the following notes before you start....

It's wise to invite your neighbors to watch. Make sure one has a video or camera phone as you'll want this on YouTube.......Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NCWriter wrote:

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Most toilets drop the waste onto a pipe where it makes a 90 degree turn before going into the black tank. The brush may just be right at the bottom and within easy reach, with a small hand, like a wife would have.

And I'll bet you know about that little hand from seeing the middle finger fairly often, right?

Nope, after 50 years of marriage I know about it because I have a wife that is not afraid to help with a problem. There have been many times when her small hands have been able to get in to places where mine will not fit. That is what partners do.

the_armadillo

SE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP doesn't state how new his rig is or if it might be equipped with one of the newer macerator sewage pumps such as the Sani-Con system. If it has one of these pumps, it is imperative that the brush be removed. Even without such a pump, I don't think a plastic brush will float, but if it was small enough to make it down the toilet it will hopefully flush out the drain port. You probably don't want to flush it into the park drain system either. You might be able to partially open your black water drain and flush and then rinse your black tank without allowing the brush to exit. Then do a 5 gal fill of the black tank and flush fully open into a drain tub. Not going to be a pleasant job. DW dropped a saftey pin down our lav sink and we have tha Sani-Con system. Fortunately it was still in the trap and I was able to fish it out with a flexible magnet/light.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make the best of the situation. Drive around long enough to have the brush clean all of the tank sensors before you try to get it out. If it wants to stay there make it work for you.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

pbitschura

SE MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

pbitschura wrote:

midnightsadie wrote:

harbor freight has the camera not bad on price .have fun .things do happen and now you have a camp fire story.
Don't waste your money on a piece of******camera. Read the reviews. A flexible parts retriever can be bought at any auto parts store or on the cheap, a coat hanger should work. Good luck.
I can't even see into my tank from the toilet!!! Not a straight shot down!!! Would need that "piece of******camera" to see the end of the retriever and the item I was trying to retrieve.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that a camera would not be useful, just not that one.

1988 Mallard class c 24' Chevy chassis 350 cu gas.

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would nearly fill the tank a couple times to see if it flushes through. If not and if it is emptying ok, I would let it be.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Sgiano

New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make the best of the situation. Drive around long enough to have the brush clean all of the tank sensors before you try to get it out. If it wants to stay there make it work for you.

great answer bsinmich!!! when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!!!

Actually, I would get out the industrial sized Wet Vac, puit the long wands on and go dumpster diving...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> OOOP's Brush fell in black Tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS