|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> wanting advice on what to buy to carry our toys

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jfet

Renton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

We are planning to travel the country in an RV and want to bring our two WR250R dual sport motorcycles and pull a 17 foot sailboat. My first idea was to get a motorized toyhauler, but I have not been able to find anything near our budget (around $60K max for used ready to go). The Funmover 31 footer models are too close to max GCWR when empty (we have a lot of gear). I also would really prefer diesel.

A Funmover on a F750 chassis with a Cat7/Allison would work well but are harder to find and a bit out of our price range. A Jayco Seneca ZX would also work. A Renegade garage coach would be even better but even more out of our price range. Showhaulers, Haulmarks...all very nice but at least double our budget used.

I have recently been debating buying a non-garage class A or class C on a heavy frame and having a welder extend the frame out the rear about three or four feet to create a platform for our two motorcycles and still be able to pull our boat (boat plus trailer is about 2400 pounds). Does this sound possible or crazy? Non garage motorhomes seem much more common and would allow us to expand our search.

What would you recommend for us and our needs on a 60K budget? Thanks.

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps as another option you should be looking at a modified trailer for your boat that would hold the bikes. Then you would have something not too expencive that you could pull with anything for years.

masa4u.com

Jfet

Renton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sunkatcher wrote:

Perhaps as another option you should be looking at a modified trailer for your boat that would hold the bikes. Then you would have something not too expencive that you could pull with anything for years.

Yes, it is a good idea and we are considering it, but there are some times where we would want to leave the boat and just go with the RV and motorcycles (like when we go spend a few weeks in the Nevada scrub brush....not much use to pull the sailboat there).

Perhaps something could be made that is removeable from the trailer and can attach to the hitch to carry the bikes when you don't want to pull the trailer...sounds complicated though...

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trying to convert an already overloaded chassis of some of these motor homes does not sound like a good idea to me. Have you considered simply selling the boat and buying a fold boat if all you want is something for fishing? This could be carried on your toad and if the toad was a pickup the bike could be carried In The bed of the truck. Also if changing boats is not a good option, a pickup with an Edie boat loaded mounted on it and the bike still could fit in The truck bed?

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

Jim-Linda

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When one wants to carry ALL of their toys, a $60K budget is simply not feasible. Much research is in your future. However, good luck

Jim

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As much as I like to carry all our stuff, I kind of have to agree that it's hard to do. Depending on how much use you'll get of you sailboat, I'm wondering if you're better off just renting one at your location (or buying used and re-selling at the end of your stay)

That said, if you get a heavy-duty enough coach, your platform idea would probably work though (probably anything with 10k towing might work) and then enough GVWR and GCWR rating capacity. That probably rules out a lot of gassers as many don't have that much carrying capacity to begin with and adding 1000 lbs for your bikes and the platform is probably going to use most of it.

This one might work for you although you'll probably have to check with them for actual weight limit:

http://www.hydralift-usa.com/atv-dual-lift/

This one will support 2 motorbikes but yours are right at the limit (from the specs I saw, yours are about 300 lbs each)

http://www.sportslift.com/vhdoubleramp.html

-- update --
The sports lift I listed isn't a good solution if you want to tow; it uses your tow hitch for the lift, you need something that's actually bolted to the frame so that your hitch is still available for your boat.

* This post was last edited 01/23/13 11:20am by michelb *   View edit history

Jfet

Renton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes thanks. I know our budget sucks, but I want to keep some money in the bank/market for living expenses over the years. I also know that there will be maintenance issues far past the $60K purchase price.

Getting rid of the sailboat is not an option. We use it all the time and really want to take it to CA, the FL keys, great lakes, etc.

What about a holiday rambler endeavor class A? Diesel, and looks fairly beefy frame. Could it support a weldment on the rear that would carry the 2 bikes (yes 300lbs each) and pull our 2400 pound boat/trailer?

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you will have a home base rather than full-time? If so two trailers would fit the bill. One trailer that can haul the boat and bikes. Another trailer for just the bikes. That way you have many more options with the MH.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Jfet

Renton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Sounds like you will have a home base rather than full-time? If so two trailers would fit the bill. One trailer that can haul the boat and bikes. Another trailer for just the bikes. That way you have many more options with the MH.

No, full time selling the house, although we are considering keeping our 4x4 truck for remote excursions. I know that two trailers and two tow vehicles would work...but then it is always such a caravan to move from place to place and not as fun during the road part of the trip.

Jfet

Renton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somewhat crazy idea, but what about this:

Isuzu NPR 14' flatbed dump truck: 2003 to 2005 with 30K to 50K miles for $15,000 to $23,000

Flatbed camper to mount on truck: $20,000

Motorcycles mount on back of flatbed past camper.

When need to service engine, activate the dump to raise the camper overhang.

17mpg and should be able to easily pull the sailboat. Would cost about $40K to $50K and not require much assembly.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> wanting advice on what to buy to carry our toys
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS