|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Miles per day/hours on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jnccpf

Southbury CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First let me say I am a newbie when comes to the RV. My wife and I are planning a trip from CT to Yellowstone, but due to limited vacation time, we are going to try to get their as quickly as we can. In your experience, when making a trip like this how many miles a day do you an to drive and how long does it take you? My thought was we could make about 600 or so miles a day doing 12 hour days. That would give us time to take a brake, get gas and perhaps stop at a roadside attraction. I am looking for you real life experiences. Thanks!!

Edit!!! We have two children, 13 and 15.

Jim
1998 Gulfstream Conquest
Class C, 24Ft

mikeleblanc413

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many miles is it from your home to Yellowstone?

Mike LeBlanc
Retired Art Educator, Photographer
Travel with "Baby Girl" (Catahoula Mix)
Texas

Digital Restorations, Louisiana Historic Items
Facebook

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have never driven 12 hours in one day. The most was 8 hours and we left way early in the morning so that we arrived at the next stop in the afternoon or early evening. Driving an RV is more stressful and tiring than driving an automobile, and you need to be very alert because of the time it takes to stop it if anything happens. It can be done but we don't like to do so. We drive about 5-6 hours now that we're not in a hurry. I would try the 12 hours the first day to see how it goes but have your schedule flexible in case you change your mind.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two kids also, in our motorhome (highway miles) we'd complete 550-600 miles per day. This is tolerable for 2-3 days in a row but after that becomes a test of will (IMHO). The family and I have been from Maine to NM, and Maine to AZ - Also to Michigan and PA from Maine.

Safe travels to you!

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Just doing some math I think that 600 miles in 12 hours may be optimistic for a cross country trip. That would be an average speed of 50 MPH and wouldn't leave much time for breaks/fuel stops.

I know the feeling of limited vacation and trying to pack a lot in, but spouses/children may make covering a lot of ground in a short time troublesome.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Jnccpf

Southbury CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

From Southbury CT to Cody WY it is about 2100 miles give or take. The plan was to leave mid day once I got out of work.

dalmationlovers

Port Orchard, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

How much time do you have for vacation? If it is 2 weeks you will be pushing it. You will average about 50 to 55 MPH and with 2 teenagers 12 hours each day on the road is pushing it. You won't have time to enjoy anything. We are planning a trip from the PNW to Disneyland and we are taking 5 to 6 days or more to travel to Disneyland. With a 5 day stay there. Average about 6 hours a day driving. Fortunately we have the whole summer to travel.

Your plan is to travel all the way accross the country and back, I'm assuming in 2 weeks, and enjoy Yellowstone.

Good Luck

Jnccpf

Southbury CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Total vacation time is about 2 1/2 weeks. The thought was to leave the Wednesday before July 4 and return on July 21, so 18 days. I was hoping to get to Cody on the 6th, and arrive in Yellowstone on the 7th

gfstryder

New Hartford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/13 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did it from New Hartford, CT with an 11 & 13 year old. We traveled pulling a pop-up trailer. We stopped in western PA on day 1. We stopped in western Nebraska on day 2 (I think that was 15 hours). On day 3 we stopped in the Badlands. On day 4 we made it to Cody, WY. However we had more time, so after day 2 we started to take it a little easier.

Mremdal33

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/13 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That can be rough on the family. I would strap my kids down and a little tape over their mouths wouldnt hurt. I hope the kids have stuff to keep themselves occupied. I have never done more than 400 miles in a day with kids on board. Best of luck to you on your trip!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Miles per day/hours on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS